-23

It should be illegal to cheat on your spouse, amirite?

rockerman1080s avatar Relationships
0 20
The voters have decided that rockerman1080 is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Cheating is subjective, laws would probably restrict things that they shouldn't. Even if they didn't there's really no reason to get the law involved for some sort of prison sentence.

Lens avatar Len No Way +14Reply
@1833150

Haha, not at all. I haven't gone on this site in a year, and I logged into my old account and posted something that I was just wondering like "what if"... This is just for conversational purposes only. But I AM in a long distance relationship, and cheating is something that pops up into my head a bit too often. Cheating as in like, being cheated on. But anyways, yeah. What?

rockerman1080s avatar rockerman1080 Yeah You Are 0Reply

Cheating is a terrible thing to do but the only thing that it causes is emotional trauma. Where's the line drawn? Breaking up causes emotional trauma, fighting, name calling, having a 'bad day'. It's far too subjective to be made into a law.

@fuzala no it infringes on the rights of the spouse

It doesn't. You have no positive rights to a happy marriage. Nobody owes you a happy marriage.

That being said, adultery can be used as a grounds for separation, but nothing more.

@TheBlindMan It doesn't. You have no positive rights to a happy marriage. Nobody owes you a happy marriage. That being said...

yeah it is

it's in the marriage contract that you won't cheat

when you do
you infringe on the other spouse's right to fidelity

this isn't about a happy marriage
this is about breaking the contract

if you can't keep faithful
don't sign the contract

there are legal consequences for breaking legal contracts

fuzalas avatar fuzala Yeah You Are 0Reply
@fuzala yeah it is it's in the marriage contract that you won't cheat when you do you infringe on the other spouse's...

Let me put this in context of the post.

You're saying that it's already illegal to cheat on your spouse.

Okay so why is nobody punished for it? You won't find any police officers who will arrest someone for breaking the sanctity of marriage. You won't find a judge who will charge someone for cheating.

Therefore my only conclusion is that a marriage contract must be a moral/social contract and not a legal one.

Either the post is agreeing with something that already happens or the poster is talking about making cheating a legal wrongdoing and not a moral one.

Contracts do not equal rights by the way.

@TheBlindMan Let me put this in context of the post. You're saying that it's already illegal to cheat on your spouse. Okay so...

equal rights? o_o smilie

in some places
the consequence of adultery is death
it's a consequence by law

@fuzala equal rights? in some places the consequence of adultery is death it's a consequence by law

Okay, but we aren't discussing those places so they aren't exactly relevant.

@TheBlindMan Okay, but we aren't discussing those places so they aren't exactly relevant.

which places are we discussing then?

there are legal actions for breaking contracts

so it can easily be made that cheating means you pay up

you break a contract with a company
you pay up

@fuzala which places are we discussing then? there are legal actions for breaking contracts so it can easily be made that...

Obviously we're talking about somewhere where cheating isn't illegal because that's the frame of reference that the poster laid out.

Contracts don't give people rights and contracts don't make things illegal. Don't get me wrong, if you want to lay out a prenup you can put almost anything on there, adultery included, but that doesn't make it illegal. Illegal would be if the government put in place laws that made it illegal.

@TheBlindMan Obviously we're talking about somewhere where cheating isn't illegal because that's the frame of reference that the...

My mistake

I confused this post with another one

It talked about how adulterers should have to pay money for cheating

like a fine

that's why I was saying stuff like "pay up" wary smilie

so yeah
I think it should be illegal
I think it's a right that should be given to spouses

it's good protection
laws are in place to protect

there should be laws to deter such action

another thing
domestic violence was illegal
but many police officers used to look the other way
or just tell the abuser not to do it again

that doesn't mean there wasn't a legal consequence written in

that's in response to: "Okay so why is nobody punished for it? You won't find any police officers who will arrest someone for breaking the sanctity of marriage. You won't find a judge who will charge someone for cheating."

same thing with sexual harassment in the workplace

some employers told a lady back in the day that they'd rape her and they grabbed her crotch

it was seen has horseplay and there was no legal consequence for those abusers

just because the law was lenient about it at one point
doesn't mean it shouldn't become stricter

In marriage, I think it should count for something involving a divorce. Other than that, no. There shouldn't be criminal charges or jail time for adultery.

justaguys avatar justaguy Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1955755

marriage is personal/private period
yet that's still tied to the government

@1955861

there's a legal move with divorce too

so if marriage and divorce have legality attached
why doesn't cheating?

it's all pretty up close and personal