+56

If a thing such as parallel universes for each possible decision you could have made in life was scientifically proven, it's weird to think about how religions would try to explain things. Such as, what happens to your soul if the other versions of yourself made terrible decisions in life even though you didn't and whether you'd all share one soul or each have your own even though you're all the same person. Amirite?

Erythromanias avatar Religion
5 8
The voters have decided that Erythromania is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.
@1844061

I would like to see how aliens' religions differ from ours once we can communicate with them if they exist. I mean, they must have some sort of creation story as well. Depending on how able they are to formulate ideas and thoughts anyways.

Erythromanias avatar Erythromania Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Erythromania I would like to see how aliens' religions differ from ours once we can communicate with them if they exist. I mean...

If they're capable of traveling light years to earth in a short enough amount time that they wouldn't age very much, I don't think they'd have religion. They'd probably know of religions that happened, but I think once a species is intelligent enough to understand the universe that much they wouldn't need religion because religion comes from a want for the universe to be explained. If there is a God, they probably wouldn't believe in him (assuming they didn't literally find God, but if there's a God I don't think he'd let that happen) since they would most likely think they know how the universe was created and how it works they wouldn't look for God as responsible for existence.

...Did that even make any sense?

@Frank_n_Furter If they're capable of traveling light years to earth in a short enough amount time that they wouldn't age very...

That's a valid point... I still think that they would wonder about their creation though and what if we found them 1st?

Erythromanias avatar Erythromania Yeah You Are -1Reply
@Erythromania That's a valid point... I still think that they would wonder about their creation though and what if we found them 1st?

If we found them first, I have no idea because they could be in any stage of development. If they were a relatively new civilization though, I imagine they'd have a God. As for the aliens that find us having a creation story, maybe they'll know what actually happened.

Even if it was proven, religions would say that it's not true, and go on believing just as they always did.

@Laughing_spork Even if it was proven, religions would say that it's not true, and go on believing just as they always did.

They could if they just wanted to blatantly ignore the facts in front of them, but followers of the religions would question things and eventually, religious leaders would have to provide some kind of answer. I mean, I know I would want to seek answers from some sort of religious leader within my faith.