+10

Humans are naturally selfish, but not naturally evil, amirite?

sparesecondss avatar Philosophy
0 8
The voters have decided that spareseconds is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

This is a very Machievellian idea. I'm honestly not sure how to vote. Does our evil result from our selfishness? Or our selfishness from our evil?
This is making me think

@eastcoast This is a very Machievellian idea. I'm honestly not sure how to vote. Does our evil result from our selfishness? Or...

Well, I was just thinking that selfishness is just our instincts trying to keep us alive. Selfishness is very helpful, and because we all have selfishness, we survive. Obviously, then, I see selfishness as a very important trait. Like a rich man being stingy is not trying to harm others (evil), but rather ensuring his own longevity. He can't be blamed for that.

Evil, on the other hand, is doing things deliberately to harm others for no reason whatsoever. Selfishness has a purpose and therefore, I don't think it's evil.

sparesecondss avatar spareseconds Yeah You Are 0Reply
@spareseconds Well, I was just thinking that selfishness is just our instincts trying to keep us alive. Selfishness is very...

Hm, that's very interesting. Have you read The Prince recently? Hahaha.

But yes, I understand what you're saying. Selfishness when used as self preservation can be a very good thing, but other times, when it's deliberate, it can be harmful. I do agree that all humans are generally self-serving.
In general, I think that all people have the potential of both good and evil. It's not always a conscious decision.

@eastcoast Hm, that's very interesting. Have you read The Prince recently? Hahaha. But yes, I understand what you're saying...

Yes, potential, but I think evil is doing bad things for no reason, except maybe for entertainment, and that is not what mentally stable people care for. Would a person rather eat their little brother's last piece of cake or punch a bunny? I would say the cake, because they are selfish for their own gratification. This very selfishness, I think, is exactly why people don't choose to torture the bunny. Punching the bunny, an evil task, doesn't serve them a purpose at all, unless one is mentally insane. Why would someone go out of their way and waste their time to do something that does not benefit them? That selfish mentality is exactly why I don't think humans are evil.

sparesecondss avatar spareseconds Yeah You Are +1Reply

I don't know. I think this argument works better for a poor man being stingy. The rich man would still be able to live comfortably without being stingy.

@MusicIsAGift I don't know. I think this argument works better for a poor man being stingy. The rich man would still be able to...

but yes I could see your point, that a rich person would naturally want to conserve money. That doesn't always make it right (for example exploitation of labor often leads to working people suffering) but it makes it understandable.

@MusicIsAGift but yes I could see your point, that a rich person would naturally want to conserve money. That doesn't always make...

It's more understandable for a poor man to conserve money, because he has to live, than a rich man, who wants money for luxuries.

sparesecondss avatar spareseconds Yeah You Are +2Reply