+70

You'd like to have a bigger vocabulary, but have no idea how one would go about making a realistic effort to expand their vocabulary, amirite?

Frank_n_Furters avatar
1 23
The voters have decided that Frank_n_Furter is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.
@1845674

That's a really good idea, but what if you already read books?

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1845680

Did you set me up for that? wary smilie

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are +1Reply
@DryTurtle Try finding more variety in the books you're reading.

There's already a pretty extensive variety in the books I read. I wanna learn huge words like people in congress and university professors use >.> Not to sound all smart and use them in everyday conversation or anything it'd just be nice to know what linguistically talented people are talking about

@Frank_n_Furter There's already a pretty extensive variety in the books I read. I wanna learn huge words like people in congress...

In that case, it would mostly involve education. Continuing onto university or places of that sort will help you learn more complex words for specific areas of study. In everyday life though, most words like that aren't even needed.

@DryTurtle In that case, it would mostly involve education. Continuing onto university or places of that sort will help you...

Whoops, I replied before seeing your edit. I'd say reading would definitely be the best way to expand your vocabulary then.

@DryTurtle Whoops, I replied before seeing your edit. I'd say reading would definitely be the best way to expand your...

Now I'm not sure if you're talking about scientific names or just complex words. You can get a basic understanding of most words just by breaking them up into their roots and the context that they're used in.

@Frank_n_Furter I don't fucking know what I want.

Hey I noticed on your profile that you want book suggestions, but I can't message you so I'll put them here.
The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. They're fantasy, and are some of my favourite books of all time. Very cleverly written.
Daemon ( I don't remember the author's name, but the sequel is called Freedom TM). This one's very hard to describe. It will make you rethink how you see the Internet and technology. It's fictional, but written so realistically you could see it taking place in the nearby future.

@Frank_n_Furter Thanks, I look for those in my library :)

As a heads up, Daemon is a little slow when starting, but if you stick it through it's amazing.

@DryTurtle As a heads up, Daemon is a little slow when starting, but if you stick it through it's amazing.

I find that most books like that end up being really good. For example, Harry Potter started off slow imo but it was to provide the background information that was necessary to make the rest of the book good.

@Frank_n_Furter I find that most books like that end up being really good. For example, Harry Potter started off slow imo but it...

If you genuinely want to learn lots of complex words like what they use in government, it's not that hard. Complex things can be broken down, and words are no different. Read a few pages of a word root or word part list, i find the best way to remeber is try to use those roots that day.
Also, reading hard books is the only way to guarantee you'll pick up new vocabulary. They're hard for you because you don't know a lot of the words, so learn them by reading+google/dictionary.
As far as amazing books, I'm currently obsessed with "a song of ice and fire", the series Game of Thrones is based off of. It's very unique in the fact that you have chapters from pretty much every major player's perspetive, so "good" and "evil" are extremely relative.
"Little brother", fahrenheit 451, and books like that have been a large part of my reading lately. Also LotR other than the main trilogy. The Silmarillion is probably one of the most confusing books i've ever read.
/walloftext

@DryTurtle Hey I noticed on your profile that you want book suggestions, but I can't message you so I'll put them here. The...

the bartimaeus trilogy has one of the best single-narrator audiobooks i've ever heard, they embody him beautifully

By realistic effort, I mean something other than sitting down and reading a freaking dictionary or something.

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are +3Reply
@1845759

Depends on what other options I have to do during my free time, but I would probably like to do that.

Vocab squares! I have to do them for my AP English class. I look up SAT words and write a definition, synonym or antonym, a sentence, and draw a picture. I doubt you'd want to do this in your free time though. I'm a nerd and actually enjoy learning these new words hehe smilie My favorite word currently is defenestrate!

I have a word of the day everyday. It has to be a word I didn't before know the meaning to. It's more often recognizing them while reading than actually using them though. It's difficult!