+150

Seriously, if I could be a high school student again, I would go to school everyday solely for the purpose to befriend the people with no friends. Bullying is the nastiest thing and it's physically sickening to hear about young kids killing themselves because of the ruthlessness of other teenagers. Parents, please raise your kids to be KIND! We don't need more hatred in this world and we definitely don't need more heartache. Dammit this shouldn't even be an issue, amirite?

My story: Struggling, bullying, suicide, self harm - YouTubeI'm struggling to stay in this world, because everything just touches me so deeply. I'm not doing this for attention. I'm doing this to be an inspiration and...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOHXGNx-E7E&feature=plcp
heythereilikeurhairs avatar
7 38
The voters have decided that heythereilikeurhair is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.
@1851015

I don't get it either. It sounds cliche, but people must be REALLY unhappy with themselves to feel the need to make other people's lives hell.

Bullying truly is awful. I'm the VP of the SADD club at my school and currently, we are trying to raise awareness for bullying prevention. In my art class, there's a kid who's special and it really pisses me off when the other students tease him and provoke him. It's just sick. I want to defenestrate half of the class.

Erythromanias avatar Erythromania Yeah You Are +10Reply
@Erythromania Bullying truly is awful. I'm the VP of the SADD club at my school and currently, we are trying to raise awareness...

See that's just on a whole other level when it's a special needs kid. Why are people so freaking horrible?

@heythereilikeurhair See that's just on a whole other level when it's a special needs kid. Why are people so freaking horrible?

That's why my friends and I try to talk to him and be his friend because other people are stupid and just laugh at him, but I actually find what he says interesting because some things he says are silly, but other times he says the most brilliant things and carries intellectual conversation better than most until he gets distracted.

Erythromanias avatar Erythromania Yeah You Are +6Reply
@Erythromania That's why my friends and I try to talk to him and be his friend because other people are stupid and just laugh at...

That's awesome. People with special needs are often extremely gifted in other areas. I knew this one girl, I'm pretty sure she was autistic, but she was the most amazing artist. I know it's hard and sometimes boring to be the odd one out and take your time out to make that kid feel cared about, so props to you. I wish I would have taken more time to seek out the loners and befriend them, but I was always so caught up in my own thing you know?

Something my school does is an assembly called "the amazing Race". It's completely for our special need kids. They just go out and play games like baseball and basketball. There's even a wheelchair race. Most assemblies, the students(including myself) make nasty comments about the assemblies, but the amazing race is the one assembly where the while student body cheers and has a positive reaction. No one makes fun of the special need kids. It's a pretty cool experience, and I think it does way more than any speech about bullying.

@BetterThanEzra1119 Something my school does is an assembly called "the amazing Race". It's completely for our special need kids. They...

That sounds amazing. I would love to organize something like that at my school, but my school is small. Hmmm... I would love to do something like that though. :)

Erythromanias avatar Erythromania Yeah You Are 0Reply

I was bullied my whole life through school. But anytime I saw someone eating by themselves, or sitting alone in a class, I'd go out of my way to sit with them and make conversation. At times, I even got made fun of for socializing with these people. But it was worth it, because it made the people feel so much better about themselves and they didn't feel so alone.

@GiggityGoo22 I don't consider someone sitting alone to be the same thing as being bullied.

They sat alone because they were bullied though. Which is why I became bullied as well when I sat with them.

I've gotten bullied by some people around 3rd grade, but I've made amends with them because they would only say my name and not really actually say mean things about me. In high school, some people where mean to me and some sickly thin person called me fat, even though there were a lot of other people that were not overweight or overfat, but obese. I was overweight/overfat, and those people were obese, like 95% bmi obese and 40%+ body fat. She decided to make fun of me because I came off as more introverted, and she didn't even believe that I was autistic or a lesbian, which is her problem. Other bully-victims decided it would be ok to find a random person to diss, and one day, after numerous people, which included two of my old friends from high school, it was my turn to be that person. It is true that some people that have ASD or are LGBT are more likely to be bullied, but the people with ASD and LGBT people that bullied me were more bullies in their lifetimes than victims. Some of them claimed to be gay or autistic, but weren't really. The ones that actually are LGBT and had ASD that were bullies, had a lot of issues going on with them. I mean, they had respiratory, joint, mental, and other problems that they wanted everybody to know, so they took it out on me. Most people also buy into bs stereotypes, so they think that emo is a subculture when in reality, it is a music genre. Some examples are Rites of Spring and Sunny Day Real Estate. They also didn't like the fact that I would point out that. Same with the goth music. Most of Goth music came from the UK in the late 70's to the 1980's, and goth was once a Germanic tribe. They would obsess about me; I'm not that interesting. Every other day I would always hear them complain about me and they would start at me. I may have not been a lot of help when I would smile and wave at them, or sometimes would give them the finger and thumb salute when irritated. Also would call me whre and tht even though I'm a virgin... I've been also been called a bunch of slurs, like trd, r word, fg, fggt, dyke, l*sbo, autist, and others too. I've saw one of them recently, but decided to ignore them; they seemed miserable as always. I've noticed most of them were really pessimistic, and probably couldn't stand the fact that I am more of a realist anyways. I'm glad they never knew my IQ, because they would probably call me more words since it isn't in the three digits. I also do realise that I am not a complete victim here, since I would sometimes would be somewhat twatty at times, like the middle finger and thumb salute that I mentioned earlier. Although I cannot dwell on the past, I probably could've just ignored those tossers to the best ability I could and not feed into their drama; they're attention seeking drama kings/queens. I also got made fun of for my accent; people around the states and surrounding them would think I'm from Akron, Ohio, Cincinnati, Ohio, Southern Michigan, Minnesota, Ontario, Chicago, Illinois, or Wisconsin. I couldn't stand half of their accents though; they sounded almost like a hillbilly, even not meaning to talk like one. I couldn't understand what some of them said anyways. I can understand my mom's first cousin better than them, and she's from the Deep South. Sorry for rambling; I just wanted you guys know what my experience was, and I hope nobody else experiences any type of bullying, weather it's physical, mental, emotional, or verbal. I honestly think verbal and emotional bullying is annoying at best. Physical bullying I've never really experienced that, although one of them (around my size, but at least 10lbs bigger) would push me, and I pushed back at them.

rupps avatar rupp Yeah You Are +6Reply

amen, heythere.

The_Artists avatar The_Artist Yeah You Are +2Reply

Everytime I see someone alone, I'm not sure if its because they are bullied/don't have friends or because they're an introvert and like being alone.

But bullying was a bigger problem in the 50s, 60s, and 70s then nowadays.

@But bullying was a bigger problem in the 50s, 60s, and 70s then nowadays.

Hmmm, I don't know about that. I think social media and webistes like facebook have made bullying much more prevalent today. It's easier.

Even if it was, there's a hell of a lot of bullying going on now, and it need to be stopped

eastcoasts avatar eastcoast Yeah You Are +9Reply
@eastcoast Even if it was, there's a hell of a lot of bullying going on now, and it need to be stopped

It IS being stopped in my hometown of Centennial, Colorado. So you can just move to Centennial.

@It IS being stopped in my hometown of Centennial, Colorado. So you can just move to Centennial.

LOLOLOL it's cute how you think bullying has completely stopped anywhere, especially an entire town.

justfuckmeups avatar justfuckmeup Yeah You Are +11Reply

"we don't need anymore hatred in this world", um, bullying was actually a bigger problem in the past then it is now. Remember Columbine?

@"we don't need anymore hatred in this world", um, bullying was actually a bigger problem in the past then it is...

I wouldn't call the 90's the "past". And I wouldn't call Columbine "bullying", more like a massacre.

@heythereilikeurhair I wouldn't call the 90's the "past". And I wouldn't call Columbine "bullying", more like a massacre.

Well, it happened because the guy was tired of being bullied. I think that's what Derrick meant.

@boxtop Well, it happened because the guy was tired of being bullied. I think that's what Derrick meant.

Columbine was two guys, and ever since reading Derrick's comment I did some research and it looks like the boys who did it just did it for the infamy.

@heythereilikeurhair Columbine was two guys, and ever since reading Derrick's comment I did some research and it looks like the boys who...

They did NOT do it for infamy! They were bullied. They were considered "nerds" at thier school, because they playes "Doom". They were very unpopular at thier school.

@They did NOT do it for infamy! They were bullied. They were considered "nerds" at thier school, because they playes...

Whatever the case may be, the fact of the matter is that bullying is still very prevalent. Kids might not retaliate by trying to blow up their entire school every time, but often times will commit suicide.

That's right, two guys. Infamy could have been one factor, but I'm pretty bullying was another. Unless I'm thinking of a different high school massacre.

Bullying is natural. Kids just need to develop some goddamn character. Today's society is so soft, and that's what really sickens me. God forbid someone have their feelings hurt.

Fact: I've been a target of near-constant bullying for almost all of my life. I know what I'm talking about. Kids don't kill themselves from being bullied, there was obviously some pre-existing problem. We need to divert our efforts in to treating that rather than trying to force kids not to do what comes naturally.

@Mike_Hawk Bullying is natural. Kids just need to develop some goddamn character. Today's society is so soft, and that's what...

a lot of things are natural
what's your point?

other animals pick on the weak
but why do we have to be like that?
we have the cognitive ability to hinder it to a certain extent

normalizing bullying isn't going to help anyone
not saying you implied that
but still throwing that out there

just because you dealt with bullying a certain way
does not mean other kids reacted to it the same way

you may know what it's like to be bullied
but you don't know what's it's like for other people who have gotten bullied

sure
there might be other home problems that escalated
but that doesn't change the harm of bullying
people turn a blind eye to it all the time

too soft?
kids get picked on for expressing their feelings
or showing any sensitivity
or being just too different
you get bullied for something as simple as being a foreigner
and you say society is too soft
right...

if anything
it's too hardened and unsympathetic to the hurt, weak, and different

I made a post about it
http://www.amirite.com/756745-w...ut-having-much

@fuzala a lot of things are natural what's your point? other animals pick on the weak but why do we have to be like...

I was going to delete that comment, but I'll leave it there for posterity. It will remain as evidence for how much I've changed as a person over the course of being on amirite.

That said, I still agree with one aspect of what I said. I somewhat stand by "bullying does not cause depression". I read an article about the link between bullying and depression, and it said that depression may even be a cause for bullying.

It really annoys me when people attempt to take a weird path to solve a problem rather than the direct approach based on what they perceive to be obvious. People think bullying causes depression, so we should target bullying. But what if it's the other way around? Wouldn't it make more sense to target depression instead of bullying? This would have the desired effect, as well as inadvertently reducing the amount of bullying going on in school.

I don't believe bullying is that big of a problem. It CAN be a problem when certain bullies take it to extremes, but the act of some kids being mean to others does teach a few important things. It builds up a sort of mental immune system. The physical immune system can ONLY develop the ability to fight infection through being exposed to bacteria and viruses. Even vaccinations work through this principle. The mind can't deal with adversity without being exposed to it. People will always be mean; it would take some horrific dystopian type society to stop that. Kids need to encounter some sort of trouble in order to learn how to deal with it later on in life.

We, the older generations, are the problem as well. Kids learn from us and reflect our intolerance.

What I'm trying to say is that bullying is a symptom of other problems, not the root problem itself. Trying to combat bullying and not treating the causes of bullying is like wiping the blood off a stab wound and taking no other care of the patient.

@Mike_Hawk I was going to delete that comment, but I'll leave it there for posterity. It will remain as evidence for how much...

To add to your point about exposing children to bullying... It's like taking something a person can control: their ability to defend themselves to a certain extent vs. something a person cannot control: the actions of other people.

both depression and bullying are being targeted
I don't see how that would be indirect

yes depressed people tend to be more targeted by people
but it goes the other way around too where people become depressed after they have been bullied

and it doesn't work like the immune system example

if you have a kid who was treated well by their peers overall
there development tends to be healthier

when a kid is treated badly by most
such as through isolation
their development is not as great

the one who was bullied is already behind
confidence and self esteem is much worse off than the kid who was treated well

thus, this kid is not able to deal with bullying later on in life

the kid who was treated well is able to deal with the bullying later on in life
(even if they didn't go through it before)
because this kid has the confidence and self esteem to deal with it
this kid didn't have to have to go through the "virus"
in order to be "immune" to it

these are just cookie cutter examples
there are exceptions to the rule

so targeting bullying is the direct approach
that's not to say other links cannot be targeted too

attacking something from multiple angles is a good idea
such as raising self esteem and confidence along with trying to decrease bullying

sure people may always be mean
but people may always commit all sorts of horrible things
like murder, rape, etc.

you still target such issues
even if it might always happen
you just have to add another cushion so that the potential victims can avoid or deal with these situations
since it's pretty much impossible to delete issues like bullying

and it doesn't annoy me when people take a "weird path" because the direct path isn't always feasible or even an option

somethings have to be solved indirectly

tl; dr
I never said bullying has to be eliminated
not saying you said that either
but I did say that it can be controlled to a certain extent

you don't have to go through bullying in order to become immune to it
you're actually more likely to be immune to bullying if you did not go through it during crucial development stages such as during k-12