+104

People used to lock up the mentally ill and treat them like criminals. There was so much abuse. Those locked up would probably become traumatized and their conditions worsened. Now, there are treatments to do the opposite. This change could have stemmed from understanding the patients more. There's so much that understanding can achieve for society, amirite?

fuzalas avatar Life
2 13
The voters have decided that fuzala is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

and most of the inmates in Jail and Prison are mentally ill. Often the only time they receive treatment is when they are incarcerated.

@and most of the inmates in Jail and Prison are mentally ill. Often the only time they receive treatment is when...

I don't know if most inmates are mentally ill
but there probably are a few

depends on how mentally ill is defined

fuzalas avatar fuzala Yeah You Are 0Reply
@fuzala I don't know if most inmates are mentally ill but there probably are a few depends on how mentally ill is defined

My good friend is a prison gaurd in our community, according to them the majority of their inmates are on Psychiatric meds, and are only treated while in Prison/Jail. it is sad.

@My good friend is a prison gaurd in our community, according to them the majority of their inmates are on...

If he's a prison guard he has no access to medical record and there's is no way he can possibly know that, I call bullshit.

@Frank_n_Furter If he's a prison guard he has no access to medical record and there's is no way he can possibly know that, I call...

One facet of their duties is to be in charge of the medication that the inmates receive, and there is a high rate of recidivism, thus the gaurds know many of the inmates for many many years,

@One facet of their duties is to be in charge of the medication that the inmates receive, and there is a high rate...

If your friend administers medication, the reason they think the good majority are on medication is because he delivers medication, only about 20% of prisoners are on mental illness medication. Unless your friend works for the juvenile system, then the numbers are a lot higher.

@Frank_n_Furter If your friend administers medication, the reason they think the good majority are on medication is because he...

exactly, Russ personally administers the medications and 80% of the inmates receive mental health meds on a daily basis and that would be the same inmates that he has worked with for last 20 years.

Society still locks up the mentally ill. Those locked up do become traumatized !

@Society still locks up the mentally ill. Those locked up do become traumatized !

That's true

I meant more like jail though
some aren't completely locked up but they're in treatment centers for help
and not all the mentally ill are locked up
conditions vary from mild to severe

and some of the mentally ill are still beaten up now too
either because there are those who still don't understand or from cruelty

but there's more awareness than before and there have been improvements/changes

@fuzala That's true I meant more like jail though some aren't completely locked up but they're in treatment centers for...

Our son suffers from mental illness. We have had to commit him several times. He is traumatized by the experience. As am I , as his parent , for being forced into this position.

@Our son suffers from mental illness. We have had to commit him several times. He is traumatized by the experience...

I've been in a mental institution. They're not great but still. The worst thing that ever happened was a kid convinced another kid to take a sip of urine, and things like that are super, super, rare. Plus the food sucked, but it wasn't bad it was just not top quality. I'm sorry for your son being traumatized, but it's an unfair claim to say those locked up do become traumatized.

That's interesting. My friend's brother has severe bpd and despite the fact that he's a danger to himself and others (tries to kill himself, sexually abuses women, tries to kill his family) whenever he's been committed he's been free to come and go as he liked. I don't understand why it would be different for your son.