+67

It makes no sense to say since medical insurance would provide you cannabis for your health but not if you wanted to smoke for fun, medical insurance should provide birth control for people with health issues but not for people who want to have safe sex. Being pregnant or not pregnant are both related to your health and it's beneficial to your health and society to prevent unwanted pregnancy, it wouldn't be beneficial to smoke weed for fun, amirite?

Contraceptives are not a right and shouldn't be provided as part of healthcare, amirite?Mike_Hawk said: I certainly don't agree with pretty much anyone above. This is a tough post to vote on because a lot of things are subjective. Is having **** a right? Yes. Should the healthcare provide means of having protected **** strictly for fun? No. Do people use contraceptives for existing health problems? Yes. Should //these// people be able to get contraceptives provided by healthcare? Yes. Look at it this way. Cannabis is available by prescription to people who need it. However, it obviously is also very fun to use. Should people strictly using it for fun be able to have it provided by any form of healthcare? No, absolutely not. People using it for fun and fun alone can buy it for themselves. It's not a necessity. There are more important things than ****; such as cars, housing, clothing, etc. Who is providing these things to people who need them? If we're going to use tax money to give people things they "need", I think those sorts of things should be taken care of...http://amirite.net/743370/1854658
Frank_n_Furters avatar
0 16
The voters have decided that Frank_n_Furter is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I am so confused...

Ethans avatar Ethan Yeah You Are +2Reply

You'd give a person traveling to a third world country immunity vaccinations, even though they made the choice to put them self in a dangerous situation. I really like what TommyUK and JimiHendrix said about it, http://amirite.net/743370/1855139 and " Don't think of it as the government facilitating sex, think of it as the government saving you money."

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are +1Reply

A society of stoners would be the happiest, kindest culture in the world.

@AtheisticMystic A society of stoners would be the happiest, kindest culture in the world.

If they were stoned 100% of the time sure. I smoke pot a lot. Like a lot a lot, like I don't want to smoke as much pot as I do. All my friends smoke pot. A lot of pot. We're cool when we're high, but stones are not happy or kind when they don't have weed. And even if it did make people happy and kind when they weren't high, it still shouldn't be covered by insurance. Alcohol makes people feel good short term and can even be good for you, it's still not covered by insurance. Even if alcohol has only positive effects, it still wouldn't be covered by insurance. Weed is the same way.

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Frank_n_Furter If they were stoned 100% of the time sure. I smoke pot a lot. Like a lot a lot, like I don't want to smoke as much...

I'm not saying weed should be covered by insurance, that's just odd. I just wanted to point out that smoking recreationally could potentially benefit society. And out of curiousity, how often do you smoke? I usually sesh once or twice a day.

@AtheisticMystic I'm not saying weed should be covered by insurance, that's just odd. I just wanted to point out that smoking...

Oh ok, sorry I thought it was an rebuttal to the post cuz earlier someone said something about how sex does that too. Two to four times a day tops, but that's only when I have money or am feeling sociable enough to go smoke with my friends. Generally not several times a day, but usually about once a day or once every other day, don't really go more than around 5 days without smoking, but not usually that long. I'm usually scraping resin by then.

The kicker, to me, is when the same argument and benefits you are saying for a sexed and nonpregnant population (especially the one you mentioned in the comments) is the EXACT same argument some people are saying for cannabis.

"contributes to psychological well-being"
"A well sexed population is more relaxed, more at ease, and less susceptible to certain problems"

The people that are in support of cannabis in health insurance are saying that it's beneficial to health, especially in the ways quoted above. Hell, that's why it IS part of the insurance.

That negates the part of the post that says "it wouldn't be beneficial to smoke weed for fun" because a lot of people, including myself, believe it is.

TL;DR The post focuses on the fact that the cannabis/contraceptive health insurance argument isn't the same when it's extremely similar.

@thatguys The kicker, to me, is when the same argument and benefits you are saying for a sexed and nonpregnant population...

I support contraceptives being covered by health insurance and legalization of marijuana for recreational use. Although I would rather support single-payer health care than any system that relies on and benefits insurance companies. And I think that marijuana would have less negative health effects if it were consumed rather than smoked, since smoking in general can have devastating effects on health.

Even if cannabis were proven do be beneficial to health, it has already been proven by millions that one can get by without it just fine, while contraceptives are necessary in nearly every individual's life. The government should not provide insurance for something that is completely optional, while it makes perfect sense to provide it for something necessary

Did you even read the post? The point wasn't that the arguments for both aren't similar. It's that you can't take the logic backing up one law and use the same logic and apply it to another thing when doing that makes the logic backing up the morality of it's existence illogical.

@Frank_n_Furter Did you even read the post? The point wasn't that the arguments for both aren't similar. It's that you can't take...

"Did you even read the post? The point wasn't that the arguments for both aren't similar."

Yes...I did...That's why I disagreed...I do think they are similar...

"...and the cons outweigh the pros."

That is debatable...I don't think anyone should be able to tell anyone else what cons outweigh what pros. That's for them to decide.

"You wouldn't socialize with your kids the same way even though they share 50% of their DNA."

That's a horrible metaphor in comparison to this. Not even getting into that.

"I don't see how you can think the focus is that the argument for both aren't similar just because the post says in what whey they can't be compared, despite similarities."

I can think this easily when your entire first line was all about how you think people shouldn't compare them... reread it:

"It makes no sense to say [that] since medical insurance would provide you cannabis for your health but not if you wanted to smoke for fun, medical insurance should provide birth control for people with health issues but not for people who want to have safe sex."

"...because the cons of weed don't matter when you have cancer."

I'm guessing this is because you think that weed causes cancer...say it does, but then, contraceptives CAN also spread STDs because of the obvious encouragement of sex with the availability of said contraceptives.

If both can be the cause of a spread of disease or simply cause the disease, then that argument goes out the window when it can be turned on you as well.

"The people that are in support of cannabis in health insurance are saying that it's beneficial to health, especially in the ways quoted above. Hell, that's why it IS part of the insurance." It is beneficial to treatments because the cons of weed don't matter when you have cancer. The benefits of it on healthy people used on recreation are not agreed on by everyone and the cons outweigh the pros. Smoking weed for recreation isn't on the insurance. It doesn't matter if a lot of people think using cannabis for fun is beneficial when the majority don't. And for the record, I am 100% for the legalization for pot. But you don't use the rules for one thing on something different just because they have a few common characteristics. You wouldn't socialize with your kids the same way even though they share 50% of their DNA. I don't see how you can think the focus is that the argument for both aren't similar just because the post says in what whey they can't be compared, despite similarities.

But sex is something basically all animals do. Getting high isn't. That just seems like common sense.

@But sex is something basically all animals do. Getting high isn't. That just seems like common sense.

False. Getting high is natural for a lot of animals. Off the top of my head, reindeer eat magic mushrooms. Monks would even drink reindeer piss because reindeer digestive systems can handle harsher fungi than humans and if humans drink the piss only, the harshness is weakened. Horses love locoweed. There's a big cat, forget which kind, that rubs its face against vines or leaves or some shit and the effect is they basically act like a kitten on cat nip. Elephants like liquor and opiates.