+296

Food for thought: the mathematical symbol Pi is a never-ending non-repeating decimal number, which means that any number combination you can think of exists somewhere within Pi. Converted into ASCII text, somewhere in that sequence of digits is your exact name, the exact date and time of your death, and the answers to life's greatest questions. It's mind-boggling to think that all this information can be contained within one symbol, amirite?

Image for post Food for thought: the mathematical symbol Pi is a never-ending non-repeating decimal number, which means that any number combination you can think of exists somewhere within Pi. Converted into ASCII text, somewhere in that sequence of digits is your exact name, the exact date and time of your death, and the answers to life's greatest questions. It's mind-boggling to think that all this information can be contained within one symbol, amirite?
Whackas avatar Education
62 48
The voters have decided that Whacka is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Not necessarily. Irrational numbers are not the same as normal numbers, which are numbers that contain any arbitrarily long sequence of numbers (which is what you are describing).

Determining whether irrational numbers like pi or e are normal is actually an unsolved problem in math, though it has been conjectured that all irrational numbers are normal.

Check out this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?fe...;v=uXoh6vi6J5U

Statistically, yes (so I YYA'd). However, it is possible that it's false. For example, the number 1.211211121111211112111112... is also irrational because there is not repeat unit. Just by adding an extra 1 before a 2. Since it is not impossible to create an irrational number that doesn't contain all possible combinations, there is a chance that pi doesn't However, given that its numbers are random, there is probably a probability of 99+% that it does contain all possible number sequences.

B10ckH34ds avatar B10ckH34d Yeah You Are +13Reply
@1868362

Actually there are, but they're super complicated:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co...action_methods

@1868362

As Jake said, there is a method, but it's still sort of an approximation of randomness. I'm just saying that lack of a repeat unit is not proof in and of itself that pi contains all number sequences. Come to think of it, given no prior knowledge, it is possible that pi never contains the number 39. If 3 is always succeeded by one of the nine numbers other than 9, then 39 is never found within pi. (It is, but you can't PROVE that it is using rules without actually finding it)

B10ckH34ds avatar B10ckH34d Yeah You Are 0Reply

This is LITERALLY food for thought (pie), as described by the post

@AntiJokeChicken Are you sure you know what literally means?

Yes, the phrase 'food for thought", which is meant metaphorically, can also be seen in a literal sense as food (pie) for thought (because the post makes you think about it)

@AntiJokeChicken No I understand that pi sounds the same as pie but that doesn't make this literally food for thought.

well, the fact that the metaphorical phrase can be interpreted in another sense strictly adhering to the definitions of the words makes it literal. how would you interpret it literally?

How sweet, a post about me!

POTD with 20 votes? Well okay...
It is a really good post though y smilie

@KirstenAnn It's not even homepaged.

Who cares? Personally, I think this is the best POTD we've had in a while.

Wunderscores avatar Wunderscore Yeah You Are +22Reply
@Wunderscore Who cares? Personally, I think this is the best POTD we've had in a while.

I think it's an awesome POTD, I was just pointing that out because she said it had 20 votes and I added my two cents.

sorry if that sounded defensive

KirstenAnns avatar KirstenAnn Yeah You Are +3Reply

Someone please dumb this down for me

Kristaas avatar Kristaa Yeah You Are +8Reply
@Kristaa Someone please dumb this down for me

pi is a mathematical number which is the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. It starts 3.1415... and goes on forever. OP is claiming that every single combination of numbers appears in the number (which I think may be impossible to prove).

The part about converting it to ASCII text:
Basically, every letter and symbol on your keyboard has a number associated with it which the computer actually uses. When you type "A" the computer actually thinks "65". "S" is "83". So OP is saying if you think of the word ASS you'll be able to find it somewhere in the digits of pi as 658383.

So basically, PI is a number that never ends.
3.141592653589793238426243383279502.......
Now, think of, for example, your name. Put your name into a code with numbers. This code of numbers will probably be already contained in PI, because PI is made up of so many random numbers that it would contain every combination of numbers possible.
Do you get it now?

@Sewcdf So basically, PI is a number that never ends. 3.141592653589793238426243383279502....... Now, think of, for...

Just saying, the chances of numbers getting the EXACT conversion into the name of someone via ASCII, especially long numbers or sentences, is extremely low.

This would work for a lot of numbers though.
e.g. the golden ratio and nlog base "e".

Sorry, but how do they know it's never ending? How did they ever prove it?

Ethans avatar Ethan Yeah You Are +5Reply
@Ethan Sorry, but how do they know it's never ending? How did they ever prove it?

Mathematicians can definitely prove that pi is irrational and never ends or repeats, but the math is pretty advanced:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pr..._is_irrational

However, mathematicians have not yet proven that pi is normal, which mean that it contains any arbitrarily long sequence of digits. So this post isn't actually mathematically proven, but it is conjectured to be true.

You can't prove something that never repeats ever ends- although by the logic provided by the post (which is sound) makes it seem like there is a good chance a part of it repeated at least once.

names avatar name Yeah You Are -1Reply

This is just stupid. Under the same logic, you can look at the alphabet and say the same thing: that all arrangements of the letters possible contain the answers to everything.

@thatguys This is just stupid. Under the same logic, you can look at the alphabet and say the same thing: that all...

I don't think that's exactly comparable. OP is saying that what's incredible is the possibility that somewhere in the sequence of pi, the numbers will be naturally ordered to spell out all this information without having to manually arrange them. Also, it's all represented by a single, mathamematically accepted symbol.

fireflyes avatar fireflye Yeah You Are +19Reply
@fireflye I don't think that's exactly comparable. OP is saying that what's incredible is the possibility that somewhere in...

That's true for any irrational number though. So any set of inifinite number that has no pattern is this. It applies to the sqrt(2), sqrt(19), the golden number, etc.

This is not entirely relevant, but I was reminded of this hehe smilie
http://amirite.com/734914-somet...tional-amirite

Bun10s avatar Bun10 Yeah You Are +2Reply

Woooaaahhhh. Actual mindfuck.

thisisnotaudreys avatar thisisnotaudrey Yeah You Are +1Reply

I'm confused. Wouldn't you have to know that stuff to look for it in the numbers? So the answers are only there because you already know them, and so you convert them into those numbers that are already there. Correct me if I am wrong, but it doesn't seem very amazing to find numbers that mean something you already know.

Not necessarily. It's not going to contain infinite combinations of numbers. That's impossible.

@jake3343 Nope, it's absolutely...

What if I wanted to find 1 repeating, then 2 repeating?

@KatieKatie What if I wanted to find 1 repeating, then 2 repeating?

"1 repeating then 2 repeating" is a contradiction. An infinite number of 1's followed by an infinite number of 2's isn't a possible sequence; the infinite 1's can't be followed by anything because the 1's never end.

@jake3343 "1 repeating then 2 repeating" is a contradiction. An infinite number of 1's followed by an infinite number of 2's...

Wouldn't that hence oppose this post? Or are repeating digits not considered a combination?

@KatieKatie Wouldn't that hence oppose this post? Or are repeating digits not considered a combination?

Infinitely repeating digits followed by other repeating digits is not a combination because it doesn't exist. It's like saying that pi won't contain 5 and a half 7's in a row. 5 and a half 7's isn't a combination because it doesn't exist.

This post has GOT to be one of the biggest piles of BULLSHIT I've ever seen. This is completely fucking wrong.