+75

Even though the system of measurement used in the U.S. is a pretty silly and unnecessary, at least there is one upside. Since the metric system is so easy, most American kids learn how to use both. Amirite?

vvaters avatar Education
0 12
The voters have decided that vvater is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I think it's absolutely ridiculous that we haven't switched to the metric system.

Sure I can use both. American measurements are just kind of what I grew up with and metric is easy but it's the converting American to metric that's hard for me to remember.

This is kind of like how the upside to walking around outside barefoot is that it gives you calluses and makes it easier for you to walk around outside barefoot. Most (in my experience, all) American kids know the metric system. If the U.S. system is silly and unnecessary like walking around outside barefoot, you could just quit walking around outside barefoot and eliminate the need to walk around outside barefoot to make walking around outside barefoot easier. The only upside to knowing it is the simple fact that you know it, there's no actual upside.

@Frank_n_Furter This is kind of like how the upside to walking around outside barefoot is that it gives you calluses and makes it...

You're right that it would be easier and better not to use it at all, but the simple fact is that the U.S. does and it's very unlikely that we will change it because we'd have to spend extreme amounts of money on updating highways, etc. The point of this post though it that the U.S. does use it and most other countries don't, so U.S. students have more of an advantage being able to understand both. If a European student came to the U.S., they'd have a much harder time. I like your analogy of the bare feet, but sometimes you don't have shoes and have no choice to walk barefoot. Just an advantage to be able to do both!

vvaters avatar vvater Yeah You Are 0Reply

If Americans used the metric system there would be no need to know both because there would be almost no one else who uses it

@bluerice If Americans used the metric system there would be no need to know both because there would be almost no one else...

I agree with you 100%, but since America probably not going to change, in this situation it's easier to know both.

Canadians know both as well. We deal with the metric system in everything but weight and height.

Yeah, you'd think so, but no.

"I weigh 50 kilos"
"Lolwut? Sorry I don't understand European"

@Nacklefoodle Yeah, you'd think so, but no. "I weigh 50 kilos" "Lolwut? Sorry I don't understand European"

Oh, really? We use them pretty often in my school (a US public school) so maybe it's just my state.

The metric system is taught starting in middle school, you're required to know it unless you want to fail every science and math class from 6th grade on.

Despite what certain media outlets would have you believe, many young brits are in fact well versed in the Imperial system as wel las the metric system. We learn metric at school, and many things are in metric, but so much remains in Imperial, pints at the pub, height and weight are ALWAYS talked about in imperial. We talk about gas-mileage in terms of MILES to the GALLON (and yet the price of gas in pounds per liter, hahaha). US hostility to the metric system is unfounded, since it's clearly the most logical and simple to master. I believe it's more a sense of nostalgia that keeps these old systems alive. I like the balance achieved in the UK

TommyUK1234s avatar TommyUK1234 Yeah You Are -1Reply