Americans who live in the other 48 states: If your state had a proposition to legalize cannabis, how would you vote? (provide reasoning if possible)

68% For it 26% Against it 5% Other
Mike_Hawks avatar Politics
0 30

I like this new posting format ability.

amiwhites avatar amiwhite For it +15Reply

I really don't see what's wrong with it. Yes, it does have negative affects on the body, but so do alcohol, tobacco, fatty foods, and many other things that are perfectly legal. And honestly, it could benefit the economy. As long as people are responsible with drugs and alcohol, I don't really see a problem. Though I do think it would be wise to have age restrictions on its use, just like tobacco and alcohol.

@Wunderscore I really don't see what's wrong with it. Yes, it does have negative affects on the body, but so do alcohol...

I greatly appreciate you being the first to actually say something. Though, I do want to sneak in that no negative effects have actually been proven. Smoking is bad for the lungs in general, but there are other methods of consuming it. Not one single side-effect has been definitively linked to THC or CBD.

I personally will not touch the stuff, legal or not. However, I believe in keeping government regulation to a minimum.

For it, because: [see video]

But seriously, the information is out there and people deserve to choose whether or not they would like to use it. Many of the "facts" that were shoved down our throats by the government funded public school system are being debunked and the real facts are being spread. Hopefully the ill informed will realize that if alcohol is legal, then there should be no contest for the legalization of marijuana. I believe more states will follow Colorado and Washington after they see the possible revenue and not-so-threatening effects.

it's great when people's justification for it being legalized is it has no negative effects on the body. if humans were meant to smoke it we'd be stoned all the time. it's bad because it makes you think differently and anything you put into your lungs besides air is a poison. honestly my life is so much better without that shit. it simply ruins lives. and I get it, it's like a teenager thing like a way to rebel against society or whatever but honestly if you haven't grown out of it by the time you graduate high school, you've got a problem. seriously just grow up and find better things to spend your money on

@mattreynolds it's great when people's justification for it being legalized is it has no negative effects on the body. if humans...

And I'm sorry to hear it impacted your quality of life. But the fact of the matter is, it was your choice to lead your life that way. It doesn't wreck everyone's life, and people should be able to make the choice to use it. It also improves many people's lives. It's not just a teenager mentality of rebellion to want it legal. I would go so far as to say it's a brainwashed sheep's mentality to want to keep it legal. You obviously don't realize what kind of impact it has on the world. That is clear to me. Why is it a problem that I haven't "grown out of it" now that I'm out of High School? Who made you the authority on appropriate hobbies? Aren't adults allowed to enjoy things? Why is anything else better to spend my money on? You can argue that it's not necessary, and this is true, but necessity isn't a good argument when it comes to deeming recreational activities suitable. If that's the argument, then we should also ban movies, video games, music, sports, and anything that is fun but not necessary. Certainly people will find better things to spend their money on, no?

If you want to argue "meaning", consider the fact that the only reason we do get stoned is because the cannabinoids found within the cannabis plant correspond perfectly to the cannabinoid receptors found within the body. Our body's natural endocannbinoids are extremely similar to those found within the plant. It's also hard to define "air". Atmospheric air as we know it is typically 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and 1% other gases. However, the proportions of these gases change from area to area. Some people grow up breathing air that is completely different from ours. And while I agree that smoke itself is never healthy, I must point out that at this time in our civilization, smoking is barbaric. We have a wide-array of methods of ingesting cannabis, and all are more effective and healthier than smoking. Personally, I own and use a vaporizer. No combustion, no smoke. The oily cannabinoids are simply heated to the point of becoming a vapor, and that vapor is inhaled. The vapor is pure and does not harm the lungs. That aside, we can dissolve it in ethanol or lipids and consume it that way. It doesn't even contact the lungs. Is it still poison?

http://ctrlv.in/134185
I guess since I'm Canadian my vote doesn't count. I voted other because I'm not American but uh. Yeah.

I'd definitely vote in favor of legalizing it in my province if I had the chance, it'd be a much better way for people to relieve stress or whatever than alcohol since it's no where close to as harsh on your system if at all.

Lens avatar Len Other +1Reply

WAIT is it legal in new york? wary smilie

well it's probably not... but i guess it should be legal because people shouldn't be charged for smoking / having possession of a drug that isn't even THAT harmful. cops should have other things to worry about

@Mike_Hawk No, just Colorado and Washington. Even if it were, you'd have to be 21.

what age do you think it should be legal to possess/use it at?
18 seems like it would be fine

@1869732

Some people enjoy Crystal Meth.

I honestly don't know. I think it's bad and would lead to a lot worse drug usage and just an overall downgrade of civilization.

On the other hand, people are going to do it anyway so we could make a killing taxing it

@WinniethePooh I honestly don't know. I think it's bad and would lead to a lot worse drug usage and just an overall downgrade of...

I'm going to completely ignore the "it's bad" part. That has been disproven and done to death. If it would lead to more drug usage and an overall downgrade to society, then explain how Portugal and Holland have only seen dramatic improvements since their decriminalization of drugs? Real life sees the complete opposite of what you say would happen. Portugal and Holland have seen a decline in the rates of addiction and a decline in the overall usage of other drugs. The number of problematic drug users declines, deaths from drugs declines, etc. It is in every way an upgrade of society.

Come on, do even the slightest amount of research on the topic. Once you do, every argument in favor of keeping drugs illegal falls apart immediately.

Well, I know you saw my response, you bothered to thumb it down. No rebuttal? I understand, this is an entirely one-sided debate, and it's definitely not in your favor.

@Mike_Hawk Well, I know you saw my response, you bothered to thumb it down. No rebuttal? I understand, this is an entirely...

I feel like we've had this debate before and there's really no use repeating it. You say society will improve and cite examples. I say it will worsen and can also prove my point. The difference is what we value in society. I value moral and mental integrity while you simply shout YOLO.

@WinniethePooh I feel like we've had this debate before and there's really no use repeating it. You say society will improve and...

You can't prove your point, though. I'm a very open-minded individual and started out as a drug hating person. I just opened my eyes and realized the truth. If you could actually prove your point, I would be on your side. Logically, my side is correct. In real life examples, my side is correct. You value the morals forcefully imposed on you by a power you choose not to question, a power that doesn't look out for anything but itself. I value the morals of a society that would transcend anything the world is currently capable of. I value the morals of a society of free-thinking intellectuals who can use scientific methods to determine what is the right action and take it despite emotional barriers. It's sad how you interpret the mountains of evidence and facts I present as "shouting YOLO". You know who else only lives once? The police officers and military personnel getting killed over this ridiculous war on drugs. The thousands of Mexican and Colombian citizens getting massacred and dumped in mass graves by cartels. The people's lives who have been ruined when they were thrown in prison for non-violent drug offenses. The innocent bystanders killed by stray bullets from gang violence

@Mike_Hawk You can't prove your point, though. I'm a very open-minded individual and started out as a drug hating person. I...

Mike, you're absolutely right throughout this entire argument. The people arguing against you would just rather believe what they learned in health class.

@1869888

Something being controversial is no reason to think it has negative qualities. And the reason marijuana can "lead" to harder drug use is because as long as it's illegal, pot smokers are forced to associate with the criminal world to get it. If I could get my supply by running down the street to a dispensary, I wouldn't be associated with people that use/sell hard drugs and there would be less of a chance that I would try those hard drugs.

This is the order of preference for me:
1. Make it legal, but expensive enough to deter people from using it in excess, and discourage it from becoming used regularly by almost everyone.
2. Make it illegal.
3. Make it legal and easy to obtain.

I just wish that making it legal specified whether it was option 1 or 3

Legalize it, ffs. It never ceases to amaze me that so many people accept and agree with laws that hinder what we are and are not allowed to put into our own bodies. If you think it's bad for people, that's awesome. Don't do it and teach your kids not to. Otherwise, STFU it's none of your business.

It's very disappointing to see this many people would vote against it.

People for legalization shouldn't have to present an argument, people for prohibition should.

@AtheisticMystic People for legalization shouldn't have to present an argument, people for prohibition should.

So what you're saying is that the people who want a change don't need reasoning? That makes sense. Let's go around changing laws until people present arguments against changing them.

swimlaxs avatar swimlax Against it +18Reply