+252

When you roll a die, the outcome is predetermined by the intricacies of physics, it's just that nobody can have any idea what that outcome will be.

Joe_Larsons avatar Jokes & Humour
14 24

I don't really get where you're going with this.

@AntiJokeChicken I don't really get where you're going with this.

Agreed. My first thought after reading was "...So?"

This isn't actually a good POTD. This is quite obvious, just made to sound smart. "When you roll a die, depending on the angle and force you throw it on combined with other factors, it will end up on a number. We don't really know what that number will be."

"Just so you know Jeff, you're not creating six different timelines"
"Of course I am Abed."

I'm sorry; this is a pet peeve:

The singular form is DIE, i.e.: I rolled a die

The plural form is DICE, i.e.: I rolled the dice

@hiccup123 I'm sorry; this is a pet peeve: The singular form is DIE, i.e.: I rolled a die The plural form is DICE, i.e.: I...

You are right, but if the OP were to say "When you role a die..." there would be a considerable amount of people that would be confused (at least at first). Me being one of those people.

BLURP BLURP BLURP BLURP BLURP BLURP BLURP BLURP BLURP BLURP BLURP BLURP BLURP BLURP BLURP BLURP BLURP BLURP BLURP BLURP BLURP BLURP BLURP BLURP BLURP BLURP BLURP BLURP BLURP BLURP BLURP BLURP BLURP BLURP BLURP BLURP BLURP BLURP BLURP BLURP BLURP BLURP

Given the perfect circumstances, it can be calculated, but you need to know the exact angle of the throw and table, the exact force used and the starting position of each eye. But you also need a lot of time and math to figure it out

@Satan Given the perfect circumstances, it can be calculated, but you need to know the exact angle of the throw and table...

It's virtually impossible. I appreciate what you mean, but because of chaos theory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_theory) you would have to know the initial conditions to a ridiculous degree of accuracy, and you could still be wrong.

I'm not really sure what to say, but I really like this post.

See above ^

nature that it is made upon decision, every single second that you considered releasing it, in a separate universe, you did. Therefore, it's completely possible that multiple numbers were achieved, and it's very unlikely that you're going to calculate the precise possibilities of it beforehand. I'm not saying that the exact theory is impossible, but that this post lacks a valid argument towards logic previously presented against it. Just because something isn't likely doesn't mean it's not possible.

@Sólo detente...esta no es la clase de ciencias.

Ah, sorry. I came back to amirite after being away for a while and thought I'd share my input - there was a time when people on here were interested in logic rather than being cool.

Tambien, si tu no puede comprende ciencias, no es mi problema.

Spanish class pays off finally.

I feel like I've seen this post every day this week...

Yes, you can determine it based on the angle of the throw, but the argument I think was implied was about the multi-universal theories out there about the creation of universes based on decisions or multiple options.

However - the uncertainty isn't typically in the die itself, but it's in the thrower. Sure you can calculate what it will do when thrown at a certain angle, but you can't necessarily determine what the thrower is going to do, and there's definitely going to be variation on such. That's the varying part of it, and that's why I personally think it doesn't interfere with the other theories.

The fact that we can't predict said number however leads us to believe it's spontaneous and we have no form of intercepting it. While a comment was made regarding the calculations, the so-called intricacies in physics are not determined. You can't disprove the multi-universe theories with thorough knowledge, and there's been far too much research into it to say it can't exist.

Let's say I throw a dice; don't you think about it first? You hope for a number, or think of what it's going to be, and you think of when you should let go of it. According to many theories which approach the