+52

It's kind of sad and ironic that we look up to people like professional athletes, musicians, actors, and people with a lot of refined natural talent, rather than actual character, like firemen, police officers, and such, Amirite?

Watchful_questioneers avatar Life
2 17
The voters have decided that Watchful_questioneer is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.
@1873592

not necessarily. many celebrities are actors, and will have no trouble appearing to the public whatever way they want. if they actually were jerks (which not all are), then they could mask it by acting kind. we have appearance, not deeds to judge by, whereas it's the opposite with, say, firemen.

Actions speak louder than words

@1873688

Well firemen save people all the time, so why don't people look up to them for saving other people? do they have to be saved by one themselves to realize that firemen (for the most part) actually PROVE that they're honorable people, while celebrities only act like it?

@1873785

That's true. in most cases, it becomes more a matter of attention than respect

I don't really look up to or follow professional athletes all that much, although I am an amateur triathlete, but I don't find looking up to musicians and actors as "sad and ironic" for some reason. I guess it helps if the musicians are trying to raise awareness for a cause or use their music as a form of protest.

@MusicIsAGift I don't really look up to or follow professional athletes all that much, although I am an amateur triathlete, but I...

Yeah, that's different. that would be cause to respect and look up to them (if you agreed with their cause), but that isn't any justification for giving them much more admiration than firefighters, and others

My boyfriend's brother is a fireman. He's cool, but honestly most of them (that I've met) are total dicks. It's a bit silly to assume anything about a persons character based on their profession only.

@Cuban_B My boyfriend's brother is a fireman. He's cool, but honestly most of them (that I've met) are total dicks. It's a...

but still, what they do for a job takes bravery and extensive sacrifice, which is definitely taken into account when judging character

@Watchful_questioneer but still, what they do for a job takes bravery and extensive sacrifice, which is definitely taken into account...

Not necessarily. There are tons of crooked cops, soldiers, etc. Being brave, although it's an admirable trait, doesn't say much about what type of person you are.

Though, I do agree with you that certain people shouldn't be put on a pedestal. I just think a persons true character goes far beyond what they do for a living.

@Cuban_B Not necessarily. There are tons of crooked cops, soldiers, etc. Being brave, although it's an admirable trait...

Perhaps firemen, cops, etc. don't deserve it solely based off of their jobs, but what I'm saying is, while people do that anyways (look up to people based on their jobs), they would be a better occupation to direct it towards than celebrities.

Sure there are corrupted cops, but you don't really think that's anywhere near how many corrupt celebrities are, do you?

@Watchful_questioneer Perhaps firemen, cops, etc. don't deserve it solely based off of their jobs, but what I'm saying is, while people...

Why is it better? The celebrities I like are (IMO) incredibly artistic, genius even. I find that to be very inspirational and worthy of praise. It goes against my nature to truly idolize anyone, but the people I look up to make me want to strive harder in my own artistic endeavours. Woody Allen married his own adoptive daughter but regardless in my eyes the man's fucking brilliant.

And I'm not completely sure what you mean by "corrupt celebrities" but given that there are fewer of them in the world than cops I'd say yeah, I kinda do.

@Cuban_B Why is it better? The celebrities I like are (IMO) incredibly artistic, genius even. I find that to be very...

As a proportion to how many there are, then, to account for that.

And celebrities, often times have respectable qualities, but I feel that firemen/cops actually put their lives on the line, and do more for the world than celebrities