+56

Saying that everyone having guns will protect them from being shot is like saying that everyone owning grenades will protect people from being blown up.

Distinctionss avatar Politics
2 15

Please explain switzerland, which is one of the most peaceful countries on earth and requires its citizens to own weapons.

@Reagan_fan Please explain switzerland, which is one of the most peaceful countries on earth and requires its citizens to own...

Japan has almost no guns and is also one of the most peaceful places on earth. Clearly peace has nothing to do with whether you own a gun or not.

@Japan has almost no guns and is also one of the most peaceful places on earth. Clearly peace has nothing to do with...

Ah yes, I was trying to get at that point, that its difficult to compare one country to another due to different populations, but it didn't appear to come through. I used Mexico as an example, and Japan is probably less violent, and I don't know if it is or not I'm just going on intuition, because it has a high elderly population.

Anyways, I don't know what statistics you're using but many studies include suicide in their analysis along with other variables. For example a study by Arthur Kellermann that reported that handguns are 43 times more likely to kill a member of your own family than an intruder doesn't include suicides, doesn't take into account defensive uses in which a shot was not fired (99% of the uses), and it doesn't reflect intruders avoiding homes with firearms inside. Regarding suicide, it's just as easy to jump off a bridge as it is to shoot oneself, or cut your wrist a little too far, or kick a chair out from under you as it is to go buy a gun for the sole purpose of suicide, though they're much more dramatic.

@Reagan_fan Ah yes, I was trying to get at that point, that its difficult to compare one country to another due to different...

Furthermore the idea that a gun is more likely to kill you or your loved ones than an intruder doesn't show the sheer number of situations where gun use didn't result in a death. Less than one percent of defensive gun uses results in a kill (see Gary Kleck's book "Point Blank: Guns and Violence in America), and according to the National Institute of Justice's report "Guns in America: National Survey on Private Ownership and Use of Firearms", guns are used over 1.5 million times a year in self defense. With tens of thousands of gun deaths a year, that means that firearms are used 40 times more often for protection than for murder, and that's including suicide. I wonder how many people die from falling down the stairs, or drowning in their pool or the ocean. Do we ban those too?

Switzerland has a milita in which the majority of young men are conscripted as opposed to a standing army. Those people undergo a lot of weapons training before being issued a weapon and even then only 29% of households have a gun as opposed to 47% in the states.

I should probably also mention that Switzerland has a fairly high number of firearm homicides when compared to other countries in Europe (France, Germany, the UK), although when you consider the number of firearms per citizen it's surprising there aren't more shootings. (Half as many firearms as the USA and one sixths of the homicides.)

@Distinctions I should probably also mention that Switzerland has a fairly high number of firearm homicides when compared to...

The Swiss people have a history of having a gun in every closet, and with a estimated 4.5 million guns in a country of 7.9 million people. The homicide rate is also extremely low, with only .3 deaths per every 100,000 people compared to Great Britain's 1.2, France's 1.1, and Germany's .8. This points to a deterrent in the Swiss society that guns probably factor into. Most interesting, though, is the fact that in Switzerland it is perfectly legal for a person to carry a firearm visibly in public places with the appropriate license, making it a great deterrent for any mass shooters and reducing the likelihood of mass shootings.

The only problem is that populations must be taken into account when arguing for gun restrictions or freedoms. Mexico, for example, has only one gun store in the entire nation, and it resembles more an armored office building than anything. Nevertheless gun deaths in Mexico are very, very high, so much so that I'm not even going to bother looking up the specifics. Closer to home, in Chicago, guns are all but banned but you and I both know that's not helping. I'll back this up in an hour or two but I have to leave.

@Reagan_fan The Swiss people have a history of having a gun in every closet, and with a estimated 4.5 million guns in a country...

Continuing on, more people have died in Chicago from gun related deaths than in afganistan, and more people have died ism Chicago, around 5,000, since 2001 than troop deaths, which lie around 2,000. Leading to what would look to some like war zone conditions.

@Reagan_fan Continuing on, more people have died in Chicago from gun related deaths than in afganistan, and more people have...

Just double-checked my sources and realized they were several years old. Switzerland does have a fairly low homicide rate although the most recent stats I could find (2010) said they're at 0.7 which almost par with Germany . (http://data.un.org/Data.aspx?d=...=tableCode%3A1e of the biggest problems with comparing homicide rates and gun control laws between different areas is the number of variables. Are guns not a problem in Switzerland because no one feels threatened by such a common object or because they train their militia to use them? Chicago has strict gun laws but have they been in place long enough for people to see an effect? Do looser restrictions in surrounding regions make the laws superfluous?

The only thing statistics seem to all agree on is the fact that having a gun on you or in your house only makes you and your family members more likely to be shot. Yes, there are psychological needs that aren't being met and I don't think anyone is naive enough to think that if all the guns in the world suddenly disappeared it would stop crime BUT having a gun not only makes you a threat to others, it could give easy access to someone impulsive who might've had a chance to calm down and reconsider what they were doing if they'd had to go out and buy a gun with the express purpose of killing someone.

I'm sorry isn't that exactly what gun control opposers are trying to say?

The gun would be a deterrent, and ahs little use as a defence. A grenade is also a good deterrent, but once one has been thrown, its only use is defense, which it has none.

These statements really are similar, no matter what your stand on the issue.