+76

I think everyone should have the right to choose if and when they have a child. Regardless of various religious views about the subject, I think reliable birth control is a basic human right and should be easily accessible.

girlietechs avatar Life
0 20

If birth control was easier to get, there would be less abortions because women wouldn't be getting pregnant when they don't want the child.
Just saying.

As it is now, birth control is ridiculously expensive. Pills are about $90/month, which a lot of people may not be able to afford.

You can tell people not to have sex, bit they will regardless. If you don't like birth control, don't use it. If you don't like abortion, don't get one. That is the individual's decision. Someone else on birth control doesn't affect you.

So to clarify, I agree with the post.

@FlyingPineapples If birth control was easier to get, there would be less abortions because women wouldn't be getting pregnant when...

Agreed- I hate when people say "if you don't wanna get pregnant don't have sex." Like, really?? That's unrealistic to expect of everyone. You can sit there and say abstinence is a sure fire way to prevent pregnancy, but as people are not abstaining and still getting pregnant, by the very definition, it is not sure fire- it simply does not work to tell people to abstain. Individuals may decide to but you can't expect all of the sexually mature society to do that, too. Also, I'm pro choice by the way, the argument "don't like abortion? don't get one" is basically saying "don't like murder? don't commit one" to someone who is pro life- but I agree with "don't like birth control? Don't use it."

It's actually really easy to get free birth control. I walked into a teen clinic and filled out a few forms and got free birth control pills within a week

@It's actually really easy to get free birth control. I walked into a teen clinic and filled out a few forms and got...

Oh wow. I did not know that. I just knew that mine cost $90, which is why I don't have it. Is there a catch to that though? Hm...I guess that's good for teenagers.

@FlyingPineapples Oh wow. I did not know that. I just knew that mine cost $90, which is why I don't have it. Is there a catch to that...

I think they said you just have to be under 25 yrs old or something to go to the clinic & u have to make less than like $1500 a month (not including your parents' income) I don't see how bc would cost $90 though unless you didn't have insurance, and even then that's pretty high. My friend pays like $30 copay for hers and she's taking one of the more expensive ones. Do you know what brand it was?

Everyone does have access to reliable birth control. It's called abstinence.

@Everyone does have access to reliable birth control. It's called abstinence.

People talk about abstinence like it's a sure fire pregnancy prevention plan. Abstinence clearly doesn't work as people are not abstaining, it is, by the very definition, not sure fire, not even a tiddly bit reliable when applied to a societal scale. Not wanting to have kids doesn't mean people shouldn't have sex- contraceptives exist for a reason.

@Frank_n_Furter People talk about abstinence like it's a sure fire pregnancy prevention plan. Abstinence clearly doesn't work as...

Well abstinence does work if you do it. But I see what you're saying. However, if ppl are feeling that adamant about not wanting to raise a baby or not wanting to be pregnant with a certain guy's baby then they need to seriously consider if having sex is a good idea. I think a major problem is sex is taken way too lightly these days. While birth control is available there's no method that's 100% and if there's a chance that you could become pregnant and not be able to handle it, then you probably shouldn't be having sex. (Not you personally, just you in general)

@1885556

It's not nice to have to expect the potential of rape but it's the reality of the situation, you can't go "lalalalala" and cover your ears to reality.

Lens avatar Len Agree -1Reply

YES thank you! everyone's like "I don't want no baby" and I'm just like holy shit then why the hell would you have sex?

@swimlax YES thank you! everyone's like "I don't want no baby" and I'm just like holy shit then why the hell would you have sex?

That is such crap. So if a 30 year old couple didn't want to have kids, they should still be virgins? Contraception exists for a reason.

@Frank_n_Furter That is such crap. So if a 30 year old couple didn't want to have kids, they should still be virgins? Contraception...

I'm pretty sure I already debated you on this, but I'm only saying that sex is for reproduction so don't go blaming other people when sex hands you a baby.

To elaborate on Anon's point, abstinence is the only foolproof method, and that is the basic human right. All these artificial methods are designed to allow you to have sex without getting pregnant. They are not basic rights, because they are supplemental things to allow for enjoyment, not detriment to survival.

However, I agreed because I think abortion should be legal especially in the case of rape. Undoing an accident in which the victim HAD NO SAY is also a basic human right.

Birth control and abortion should both be accessible, but they are not basic human rights (except rape abortion) and people should still have to pay for them.