+5

I think there should be a luxury tax on fatty foods just like there is on alcohol and tobacco. It would be a win-win situation - if people don't start making better food choices, it generates more money, and if people don't want to pay the tax, they can quit buying and eating unhealthy foods.

Bootyliciouss avatar Life
1 17

Maybe we could just make healthy food more affordable.

_____s avatar _____ Disagree +10Reply

Why should the govt have ANY say in what we eat?

@Why should the govt have ANY say in what we eat?

Because obviously adults aren't capable of making smart decisions.

@msdrisco Because obviously adults aren't capable of making smart decisions.

You should go live in China. You might like it over there.

They shouldn't and no one said they should. I think there should be a luxury tax on anything with direct health problems. The tax doesn't disallow you form eating it, just makes it harder to.

Instead of an outright tax, however, I think it should be like a mandatory purchase of a card which you can get stamped by clocking minutes on a gym treadmill. A stamped card can be turned in with tax forms for a rebate on the luxury tax.

facepalm

Squaffles avatar Squaffle Disagree 0Reply

I won't even bother pointing out the stupidity in this post

It would be terrible for the people buying the food. People buy fatty food because it's cheaper and they can't afford healthy food. I'd rather be unhealthy and have money than be only marginally healthier and have to worry about money. What we need to do is fix the damn economy.

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Disagree -2Reply
@Mike_Hawk It would be terrible for the people buying the food. People buy fatty food because it's cheaper and they can't...

What we need is to tax fatty foods and use the money to subsidise healthy foods, thus inverting the ration of their prices. however, most of parliament is 'owned' by big food companies, and this would screw them over, and is therefore impossible.