+43

I don't think soldiers should blindly follow orders all the time, and when it's blatantly obvious that the order is wrong, I don't think they should be punished for thinking for themselves and not following the order.

timronscirca09s avatar Life
0 7

Your superior is going to be aware of the situation considerably more than you.
If he or she orders you to do something you feel is wrong, and you then don't do it, you could be jeopardizing the situation.

If you're in command, you deserve to know the people under you will follow your orders.

Silliks avatar Sillik Disagree +5Reply

That would be ideal. However, that many people thinking for themselves in a risky and sophisticated operation would be hazardous for everyone.

I agree. However, I imagine disobeying an order during a war takes more courage than most of us possess. Also, the lines between right and wrong are not always clear cut during war. For example, part of the strategy invoked in WWII was to "defeat the enemy's will to resist" by targeting civilians. Many believe the war was shortened (and lives were saved) by the Allies bombing cities. However, had the Japan defeated the US, the people who carried out the firebombing of Tokyo (just for an example) would like be considered war criminals today.

Not sure if this is true, but I've heard in German soldiers are told to not do any ordered act if they feel it violates a human's rights or dignity.

Technically soldiers are allowed to refuse an order if they believe it violates the Law of Armed Conflict, the law that the UK (I'm not sure about other countries) adheres to.
It may not get you in the Officers good books, but its allowed. For example, a soldier killing a harmless civilian, even if he was commanded to, will get the soldier arrested because he killed the civilian, and did not need to follow the order from his superior.

@Kilfer Technically soldiers are allowed to refuse an order if they believe it violates the Law of Armed Conflict, the law...

Especially since under international law it is illegal to intentionally pharm innocent civilians during wartimes