-7

I don't think terrorists really flew planes through the World Trade Centers on 9/11. I think the entire event was masterminded by our own government to justify a war on Middle Eastern soil, in order to gain access to foreign oil.

timronscirca09s avatar Politics
0 8

what are you basing this on?

It was the muslim terrorist who destroyed the american peace.

Good for you I suppose.

It is entirely possible. It is also entirely possible that Al Qaeda was behind it. Either way, the government used that as an excuse to invade the Middle East and take the oil from the land. Plus of course tack on some restrictions on our freedoms in the name of security. It was the Patriot Act under Bush, it's the NDAA under Obama.

How did they gain access?

I want you to understand something. We did not invade Iraq for oil, and let me explain.

First, lets look where the oil in the US comes from. Over half is produced right here in the good ole U S of A. Most of the foreign oil we import does not come from the Middle East; most of it comes from Canada, Mexico, Venezuela, and Nigeria. Only a relatively small amount of the oil we use comes from the Middle East, and that oil is from Saudi Arabia, not Iraq. For the most part, oil generally is sent to customers who are closer geographically. In the Middle East's case, most of the oil they produce goes to more 'local' customers: Europe, Russia, China, and India, primarily.

For my second point, I want you to think you are your stereotypical President Bush Jr. In 2001 and you want oil from Saddam. First, we can’t be going to war to get Saddam to sell us oil because he already does, even though its in small amounts.

– Do we want him to sell us MORE oil? Well then all we’d have to do is ask. Iraq is desperate to acquire more revenue.

@Reagan_fan I want you to understand something. We did not invade Iraq for oil, and let me explain. First, lets look where...

– Do we want to increase the price of oil to make the oil companies more profitable? Again, that’s easy to do. We could simply destroy the Iraqi oil fields in retaliation for their attacks on our planes in the “no fly” zone. That would cause a large temporary spike in the price of oil.

– Do we want to get more oil on the world market so we can buy cheaper oil? We could easily convince the UN to remove the sanctions and Iraq would quickly double their oil production. They’re currently producing way under capacity.

– Do we want to get the oil field contracts that the French and Russians have? Behind the scenes, Bush could have offered to have the sanctions lifted if Hussein would have torn up the contracts he had with the French and Russians. If we didn’t want the sanctions in place they’d be gone and the contracts Saddam made with the French and the Russians? They don’t mean anything when you’re dealing with a dictator like Hussein — unless you’ve got a military capable of enforcing the deal.

You see, not everything a republican does is about self interest (though I didn't like him either). I hope I've influenced your opinion, but probably not.

@Reagan_fan – Do we want to increase the price of oil to make the oil companies more profitable? Again, that’s easy to do...

Also, just as a side note, the war, the occupation, and aid we’ll give Iraq will end up costing us much more than those oil fields are worth even if we would have gotten them all (which we won’t).