-110

Doing a Google search is not synonymous for doing research. Why is it that young people today think they can do all their homework by going to sites like Wikipedia? These sites are not valid research sites. Education is going to hell in a handbasket.

DaveHamills avatar Life
0 11

Wikipedia pages list all sources used, so you can easily read the info and then follow the source links. Why is it that old people today think that everything not done the way it was in 1846 is going to hell in a handbasket?

amiwhites avatar amiwhite Disagree +11Reply

I know that anyone can change the information, but I still go to Wikipedia to get like a general overview of something. Then, maybe see if other, more credible sources say the same thing

http://amirite.com/744753-you-t...ipedia-amirite

we can go straight to the references
Wikipedia can be pretty useful

When I'm confused about something I search google and click on more than one article to make sure that I'm getting the truth, even though there's a chance that some of it is a lie. I read the whole articles, and so I'm still getting information in my brain to help me later on in life. Sites like Wikipedia are actually helping with education.

BlindMists avatar BlindMist Disagree +5Reply

Google doesn't only give you Wiki pages. It can easily lead someone to a database of scholarly peer reviewed articles.

Education (at least high school) is a joke. It's four years of memorizing and learning useless, trivial things because the people that decide your future say that it matters how well you jumped through the hoops. It doesn't matter in the long run how well students understand their school work because it's mostly arbitrary facts, figures, and formulas that are irrelevant to the everyday lives of most high school graduates anyway. So I'm all for half-pointless research.

@AtheisticMystic Education (at least high school) is a joke. It's four years of memorizing and learning useless, trivial things...

Me: IQ of 140, GPA of 1.3
Friend of mine: IQ of 102, GPA of 3.7

I think it's pretty typical of people who are intelligent to hate and/or resent school because of how it teaches you to memorize shit, not actually understand it.

@Frank_n_Furter Me: IQ of 140, GPA of 1.3 Friend of mine: IQ of 102, GPA of 3.7 I think it's pretty typical of people who are...

I agree. But that's not the only thing about the education system that irks me. I just hate knowing that if they sent me to college right now to take classes in psychology, I could learn all I need to become a successful member of the work force in my chosen field. But no, the only way there is to jump through the hoops. It's a waste of time, effort, and money.

@AtheisticMystic I agree. But that's not the only thing about the education system that irks me. I just hate knowing that if they...

YES. I just want to learn math an physics, I already know how to speak English and I don't care to take it as a class. I just want to take classes on what's relevant to what I want my career to be, I wish there was trade school for physics.

Wikipedia and Google are good starting points. Wikipedia articles link to articles related to the topic, mostly from credible sources. Google can link to both valid and invalid sources, but as long as you know how to find a credible source I don't think it is much of an issue that people are going to Wikipedia and Google to do research. Wikipedia has been shown to be more accurate than Encyclopaedia Britannica.

Maybe we should teach students more about how to find reliable sources from Wikipedia and Google?