+67

I don't like the idea of forcing someone to do something they don't want to do, but I think if someone has anorexia and the condition is so far gone that their life is really in danger, they should be force-fed.

cpm1days avatar Life
0 17

I'm kinda a fan of letting people do what they want as long as they know the end consequences of their actions. If they went to someone for help, then we should try to help them as much as we can. If they didn't want help, the most I'd do is inform them that they will die if they continue on that path.

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Disagree +4Reply
@Mike_Hawk I'm kinda a fan of letting people do what they want as long as they know the end consequences of their actions. If...

Anorexia has a mental component as well. The origin of the disorder is to try to be thinner out of the desire to be thin, not dead. The mental component rewires people afflicted with the disorder to think they are actually not thin, and need to lose more weight to seem acceptable. If they could know the consequences, then they would have to accept that they're very underfed, which the disorder would stand in the way of them doing

@Watchful_questioneer Anorexia has a mental component as well. The origin of the disorder is to try to be thinner out of the desire to be...

Honestly, it seems to me that everyone oversells how powerful of a grip anorexia has on people. The way everyone describes it, anorexia seems completely impossible to treat. I don't believe that, though. It is treatable, therefore people suffering from anorexia must be able to recognize that they do have a condition and do need help. If I were to deal with someone who had anorexia, I would explain to them that they have a disease that is warping their perception of reality and that they will die, and then offer help. If they reject my help, I would let them do what they please. I would never force help on someone if they weren't hurting anyone else. For example, if I had a child who took after my interest in volatile chemicals, I'd be sure to inform them as much as possible. However, if their behavior was consistently unsafe and sporadic and they were mixing pyrotechnic formulas in the house, I would force them into therapy because they're not the only one they're putting at risk.

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Disagree -2Reply
@Mike_Hawk Honestly, it seems to me that everyone oversells how powerful of a grip anorexia has on people. The way everyone...

If they accept the facts of the situation and realize they are killing themselves, and decide not to stop, then you shouldn't force feed them.

However, you shouldn't allow someone to die who cannot consciously and willingly consent to dying

@Watchful_questioneer If they accept the facts of the situation and realize they are killing themselves, and decide not to stop, then you...

If someone who is so set on a self-destructive path that their right to do what they wish with their body must be violated, what's the point in keeping them alive? Their whole existence is going to be a mass of suffering and essentially wanting to die. I wouldn't force someone like that to stay alive.

@Mike_Hawk If someone who is so set on a self-destructive path that their right to do what they wish with their body must be...

It all depends on whether they can still be saved from their disorder at that point, and I think they can, so I don't think they should be allowed to die yet

@Watchful_questioneer It all depends on whether they can still be saved from their disorder at that point, and I think they can, so I...

It's all philosophy at that point, and we can't really argue about that. I tend to look at things from a more unbiased, universal stand-point; not from the stand-point of a human being with emotions and such. I can see where you are coming from, though.

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Disagree +1Reply

Wouldn't that just worsen the aversion they have towards eating?

Cuban_Bs avatar Cuban_B Disagree +4Reply
@Cuban_B Wouldn't that just worsen the aversion they have towards eating?

That's along the lines of what I was thinking... I didn't think of that specifically, but I did think it would probably be psychologically damaging. Many people who are anorexic become so because what they take into their bodies is the only thing in their life they can control, by taking away that control of what they do with their own bodies, you're harming them even more by making them feel even more out of control.

But some kind of psychological therapy should also be used.

Yeah, because screw free will.
If I or any one else wants to ruin their life they have every right to.

Lens avatar Len Disagree +3Reply
@Len Yeah, because screw free will. If I or any one else wants to ruin their life they have every right to.

The mental component of the disorder would blind them from the real truth that they're killing themselves. They won't think they are, and you can't just let someone die because they're in denial of the fact that they're dying

As a person with an eating disorder myself, force feeding anorexics doesn't help and it doesn't stop the illness, and it might put off death for a while, but it causes severe emotional trauma and will prolong the actual disease even if it does sweep it under the rug for a short while.