notmuchnotmuchs avatar People & Celebrities
0 13

I tend to not stand up for myself because I really just don't care what people think of me and don't think it's worth the effort. When something violates my beliefs, however, I readily stand up for them.

@Frank_n_Furter I tend to not stand up for myself because I really just don't care what people think of me and don't think it's...

I think beliefs are a large part of who a person is. If you don't stand up for yourelf when it is yourself at stake, why should anyone take your beliefs seriously?

@notmuchnotmuch I think beliefs are a large part of who a person is. If you don't stand up for yourelf when it is yourself at...

Being called something like "a hateful bitch she devil" doesn't violate my beliefs, they're allowed to think and judge someone however they want. If someone were to call me "A fag dyke who should be burned at the stake" I wouldn't care if they called me a name, I would care that they violate my belief of treating gay people the same as everyone else. I don't care if people take my beliefs seriously, that's not a factor. I care if someone over steps a boundary, weather or not they take me seriously or not beforehand is of little relevance to me.

@notmuchnotmuch Did you let people walk all over you as a child?

No. People just didn't try to walk all over me. I don't demand respect, I command it. It's not that I feel a need to tell people off for doing/saying something to me, it's that they don't want to do/say that to me anyway. When someone does do something to me, I am secure enough in myself to not dictate my self worth by how other's view me. Which is exactly the kind of attitude that commands respect and doesn't get fucked with- the people who know it doesn't matter and letting it matter only feeds their want to do it to you. There's a big difference between a wimp who takes everyone's shit and someone who just doesn't care about everyone's shit.

@1888563

You asked " why should anyone take your beliefs seriously?" Why would it even matter?

From one of the greatest books.

Standing up for yourself is such a general term and could be used in such a variety of situations, some where it's necessary some where it's foolish.

Anonymous