+52

If you do the right thing for the wrong reason, it can be hard to tell whether you're acting morally or not. (For example: I tell the truth because I'm selfish- it's easier to not get have to keep track of lies, not for the sake of honesty.)

Frank_n_Furters avatar Life
1 10

How important are a person's motives? Suppose it turns out it was racism that drove Mother Teresa's to do all that she did. Would that make her less of a heroine?

I think it's still the moral action, but with immoral reasoning. It depends what you mean by "acting morally".
If it means whether the act was moral or not, then it was.
If it means whether it was morally sound of you to do it, then I think it isn't

Your example is terrible, but your underlying idea is thought provoking. I shall retreat until I have arrived to a sound conclusion.

@Your example is terrible, but your underlying idea is thought provoking. I shall retreat until I have arrived to a...

I don't think it's a terrible example, it demonstrates the point perfectly- which is doing things that would be considered good for reasons that are considered bad.

@BetterThanEzra1119 There are worse wrongs than being selfish.

Sure, but if we're going off that we should only talk about genocide, torture, and rape.

@Frank_n_Furter Sure, but if we're going off that we should only talk about genocide, torture, and rape.

No, he's right. In fact, being selfish in this case is good because it keeps you from getting into trouble and it gives you a reputation for being an honest person.

Being selfish itself is not inherently a bad thing. Deciding such things is a case by case process.