+65

I don't feel that bullying has gotten worse over the years, I feel that people have gotten more sensitive over the years.

StephanieIsAmazings avatar Life
1 8

It's definitely both. More people are acting like jerks and pretending the entire world can suck it up when actually there are an increasing about of people who really cannot suck it up.

@Skr3wBall It's definitely both. More people are acting like jerks and pretending the entire world can suck it up when...

I was raised by the motto, "talk shit, get hit"
Now a days parents are raising their children to "just brush it off" or leave it alone, when in fact it doesn't get left alone, it gets built up inside until it can no longer be handled.

@StephanieIsAmazing I was raised by the motto, "talk shit, get hit" Now a days parents are raising their children to "just brush it...

I have to disagree a bit with that a little bit but kind of agree, I'm torn. I disagree with "talk shit, get hit" for a lot of reasons that I won't get into. It is unhealthy to not express anger with a "just brush it off" attitude. Some people are taken aback when people say rude or horrible things to them, and if they feel offended, they should say something, but they don't have to be violent or even aggressive. And not everyone who brushes it thing off has pent up emotions- I brush things off because I don't have emotions about them. Like if someone were to try to verbally bully me, I would ignore it because it doesn't matter, my self worth isn't determined by them- letting it matter only feeds their want to do it to you. Others do feel offended- If someone over steps boundary, you should express that in some way. My conclusion is that everyone has different boundaries and that if they're crossed that's when you need to express that in some way or it can be unhealthy, and that not everyone who brushes people off instead of standing up to them feels pent up emotion.

@Frank_n_Furter I have to disagree a bit with that a little bit but kind of agree, I'm torn. I disagree with "talk shit, get hit"...

When I said, " talk shit, get hit" I was not necessarily talking about violence. Of course violence should be avoided at all costs, but if someone where to hit me, of course I am going to fight back, it's only human nature. When I said "talk shit, get hit" I was also talking about retaliation. If someone is going to try and bully me, I am going to stand up for myself and burn them right back. I understand that two wrongs don't make a right, but I feel that if people don't stand up for themselves every once in a while they are going to be trampled over time and time again; leading to low self esteem and mental health issues causing self harm and suicide in many teenagers and young adults in society today.

@StephanieIsAmazing When I said, " talk shit, get hit" I was not necessarily talking about violence. Of course violence should be...

I can agree to that. Although, ignoring it really does wonders. There's only been one occasion where the kid who was being a bother was more patient than I and could keep trying to bother me until it actually bothered me- and he did think he could trample all over me, at first. He kept grabbing a piece of my hair in class and pulling it or poking me with a pencil. After 5 or 10 minutes, I turned around and firmly told him to stop and that I was working. A few hair pulls and taps later, I just turned around, looked him in the eye, and just said "stop" even more firmly. He kept doing it and even tried putting garbage stuck together with gum in the hood of my jacket, so the next time he touched me I grabbed his hand and twisted his arm around until he fell out of his seat and onto his knees, looked him in the eye, smiled, let go, and resumed my work calmly. Not enough to hurt him, but enough to show "I'm not moving seats, and you won't be bothering me, we're done here." Generally the other person gives up because they're bored with my lack of response. But when they keep pushing, that's when I'll push back.

Well that's great for you that you feel that way.

Either way, bullying is still NOT okay.