+112

If a person runs a stop sign, but no one is around to see it, did he really break the law?

Eleutheraminas avatar Jokes & Humour
2 24

Of course he did, people steal when nobody is around and they still broke the law. Law is suppose to guide your action with or without the presence of others.

Of course he broke the law; this is a dumb question.

I think what you really should ask is whether or not he should be prosecuted because he didn't really put anyone's lives in danger. Personally I think he should. Driver's Ed has ingrained into me to stop at stop signs. I'm a bit of a purist and zealot when it comes to laws about driving because I've seen first-hand what reckless driving can do. Better safe than sorry. It's absolutely tragic.

@Altoid_Freak_250 Of course he broke the law; this is a dumb question. I think what you really should ask is whether or not he...

I think he should too. They didn't know they weren't gonna hit someone, same as the person who did hit someone didn't know they were gonna hit someone.

Even then, yes. At least he didn't get caught though.

Technically, yes.

Excuse me sir, but I am above the law.

@StickCaveman Excuse me sir, but I am above the law.

It was a stop sign. Big deal. I know many places in my own town where stop signs are unimportant and unnecessary. Of course there are also places where stop signs are highly needed.

Who cares about the law? The question should be was this guy making a rational decision? Did he just speed through a busy intersection without considering other pedestrians or motorists going through it? Or was it just some inconvenient stop sign, out in the middle of nowhere? Did the guy rush through it or did he make a rolling stop (where a person slows down to the point they're almost stopped but doesn't completely stop)? Some cops consider rolling stops as running stop signs.

Innocent until proven guilty. No evidence = no conviction.

@JeffGigliotti Innocent until proven guilty. No evidence = no conviction.

Shame on the downvoters. The principle of innocent until proven guilty is the hallmark of what every court system should follow.

Doesn't matter if he broke the law or not. You can't prove he did.

They broke the law, but that shouldn't necessarily constitute them being punished. It depends on whether or not it was clear that nobody was around. If it's on an open space where the driver could've known for sure that nobody was approaching the intersection, then he/she did nothing worth being persecuted for.

However, if the driver could not see, ran the stoplight, and got lucky, then he/she deserves to be punished

as long as he doesnt in danger the lifes of others its all good if you ask me...he can sprint bk n forward n diagonally to a crossroad if he likes xD

@1890073

Define rape. Lots of systems have different degrees of rape.

@1890350

Define consent in regards to the intoxication levels of only the mother, only the father, and both the mother and the father.

@1890685

"being drunk isn't being consent"...

If a person consents to drinking, then they hold responsibility for their actions after they're drunk. This is why we don't say, "well, this drunk driver killed a family of 4 but it wasn't his fault because he was drunk."

@1890350

On top of defining consent, define sex.

Does age of consent matter in this case? There are a lot of specifics to consider.

@1890686

My point is that you're not being specific when it comes to rape. You generalized every rape event as the same when you said a rapist is a douchebag who should go to hell.

You left no room for the differences in perspective and definition on rape from one state to another. Two teenagers engaging in perfectly legal, oral sex in one state could be construed as statutory rape in another if the age conditions are right, whereas in a third state, they could possibly have found themselves in a rape event.