+74

Does the world really need to hear any more news about the Kardashians? Seriously isn't the world already bad enough off? People are shooting up elementary schools and movie theaters. Enough with the Kardashians already!

ambams avatar People & Celebrities
0 11

This post was the only thing I heard about the Kardashians all day.

I'd rather hear about the Kardashians than people bitching about how we should "ban assault weapons".

@Mike_Hawk I'd rather hear about the Kardashians than people bitching about how we should "ban assault weapons".

I'd rather hear debates about guns, because at least that is a relevant topic that may be worth reevaluation

@Watchful_questioneer I'd rather hear debates about guns, because at least that is a relevant topic that may be worth reevaluation

But most people aren't down with that. The people we need to debate with tend to like spouting their points and demonizing anyone who doesn't want to ban something. It's pretty rare to find a reasonable, informed individual that wants to enact bans on firearms.

@Mike_Hawk But most people aren't down with that. The people we need to debate with tend to like spouting their points and...

It's rare to find reasonable, informed individuals overall, so by default, such individuals of either standpoint are fairly rare, and it's probably pointless to go into a debate about such demographics seeing as we live in different places with varying demographics.
My standpoint on the matter is that since people are abusing guns, we can either change something about the people, or something about the guns, and I think it's impossible to change the mentality of people as a whole since society will always have outliers.
I think the question is more of what we should change regarding guns to make it so its more difficult to abuse them, and there are many options (I might miss a few, so feel free to fill in):
-ban them altogether
-ban them and replace them with non-lethal weaponry
-tighten the requirements for a license
-not change anything
-ban high caliber bullets, assault rifles, and other strong weaponry
-give guns to everyone fit to use them

@Watchful_questioneer It's rare to find reasonable, informed individuals overall, so by default, such individuals of either standpoint...

Maybe I'm crazy, but I think more gun crimes are acceptable considering how low every other crime rate would be. Even so, I don't think gun deaths are THAT big of a deal. There are about 26,000 per year in the US. Over half of those are suicides, so I don't like to count them. I personally think people should be allowed to kill themselves if they like. That's about 13,000 people killed by other people with firearms. That includes gang violence, murder, police intervention, and self-defense. If we legalized drugs, organized crime would drop off the map (another argument altogether) and that number would take a SUBSTANTIAL hit.

Out of the things you listed, I think the last would be the best option. A lot of people would disagree with me, but we should look to Kennesaw for inspiration. That town put in place a law just like that, and they are 25 years murder-free.

There are far too many changes we need to put in place, but I'm confident that I could create an armed yet peaceful society given the resources.

@Mike_Hawk Maybe I'm crazy, but I think more gun crimes are acceptable considering how low every other crime rate would be...

I agree on the point regarding suicide and the overall low rate, but I don't think giving everybody guns will help. I think that that almost ensures that once a psychopath comes along, he'll have everything he needs to kill people, even though people will be better fit to defend themselves.

I think that looking at one town is too small a place to judge by, because very few people actually commit gun murders on a large scale, which can come along less commonly than 25 years. It's too small a town to draw any major conclusions, in my opinion.

I think we can change some things about people. We need to educate people more. Many people aren't critical thinkers and just accept whatever the media throws at them. The news channels can run a story and include some bit about the scary black "Bushmaster assault weapons" and sufficiently scare people enough to enact bans. These bans don't work, and so people say "the current system isn't working, we have to keep banning things". Bans on objects never work, though. Prohibition of drugs doesn't work, and prohibition of guns wouldn't work. Society needs more critical thinkers that will work to actually solve a problem rather than getting scared and trying to ban and forget it.

We also need to look at facts as a whole and not just worry about we want to hear. I hear people talking all day about how gun crime pretty much disappeared from Australia and the UK after their laws changed. That's all well and good, but overall crime rates increased substantially. People overseas like to make cracks about how they're more likely to get shot here, but completely ignore that they're more likely to be victimized in the first place.

@Mike_Hawk I think we can change some things about people. We need to educate people more. Many people aren't critical...

I agree that you can influence the public mentality, but you can't reliably change the mentality of the misanthropists that perform such shootings.

I think that measures need to be taken to prevent dangerous people from getting guns in the first place. I don't believe in banning guns altogether, but I believe on tightening laws on possessing firearms and attaining them, including mental examinations, overall background checks, and evaluations on anybody who can regularly enter the household where firearms are regularly stored

I just tune it out. It's unimportant.

Hm...but I think from a psychological standpoint, that makes sense. People don't want to always hear about shootings because they're scary and depressing, whereas celebrity drama is exciting, stimulating, and distracting. I hate the fact that people think it's so fun to get caught in the lives of people they don't know, but at the end of the day, it really just comes from a defense mechanism.