+70

Just because you read does not mean you are more educated or less educated than someone who does not read. Books are not the best form of education for some people, nor are they the only education. Reading does not make you sophisticated, knowledgeable, or special in any way. That is dependent on the person themselves.

AdonisBatheuss avatar Books
2 24

You're right. Reading doesn't guarantee any of those things, but you should still read to find out if it works for you. Reading can also be used to escape from the world and go to your own world where all that matters is what's going on in the story.

That being said, I do believe, however, that the number of knowledgeable readers would outweigh the number of knowledgeable non-readers.

@You're right. Reading doesn't guarantee any of those things, but you should still read to find out if it works for...

Video games and TV can also be used for escapism.
Reading isn't right for me personally because I don't learn as well from reading as I would from watching TV or looking at a picture.

And there is no basis for that claim.

@AdonisBatheus Video games and TV can also be used for escapism. Reading isn't right for me personally because I don't learn as...

I don't have any data or statistics to support that claim. I was just giving you my opinion.

If that's what works for you, then great. Some people learn better in class just by listening instead of taking notes. If you know what works for you then that's great.

The thing about reading widely is it helps you develop your own preferred writing style, so you can express yourself fluently in writing, which is an indispensable skill. Listening to radio and watching tv can help you learn to express yourself well through the spoken word, but you can pick a lot of that up from everyday interactions. That's what makes reading so important, in my opinion.

@redandthewolf The thing about reading widely is it helps you develop your own preferred writing style, so you can express...

I rarely read books and my creative writing class seems to hold me to the highest standard of writing in the class.

I'm not bragging, either. That's what I've been told. I don't necessarily agree with them, but my point is is that reading for entertainment, or even for educational value sometimes, isn't a necessity for everyone. Sometimes doing so might even dilute your talent and make you just another copycat of other writers (fanfiction writers, for instance).

@AdonisBatheus I rarely read books and my creative writing class seems to hold me to the highest standard of writing in the...

I agree, and would like to add that it works in the reverse as well. I am an avid reader, and have read many wonderful authors, but I am an absolutely horrid author myself. I have always been that way, and my skills haven't gotten better, no matter how much I practice or read.

Many books have no educational value at all, they are just random stories which offer nothing more then watching a T.V show.

@drhannah Many books have no educational value at all, they are just random stories which offer nothing more then watching a...

Actually, even reading just stories can help build your writing skills, style analysis skills, and vocabulary. However, I'm not saying everyone learns to do that through reading. I'm just saying it's possible.

@Cellar_Door Actually, even reading just stories can help build your writing skills, style analysis skills, and vocabulary...

You could say the same thing about anything then. Watching TV teaches me how to visually interpret the things around me and teaches me the social norms and standards of beauty for society. It can teach me how to become a better animator, how to tell a story through visuals, possibly how to voice act, different languages, etc.

Books aren't all that special.

I believe that, like anything else, it depends on what you are reading. This could be applied to television as well: are you watching a documentary or a cartoon?

I think that reading certain things can make a person more educated. As a writer myself, I believe that what you read definitely influences your writing style. If I read things I've written back when I still liked Twilight, I see similarities, but now that I read things that are more educated like Wilde and Vonnegut and Austen I can see more of an influence from them.

I think it really varies on the individual. If you don't like reading or find it troublesome then there's absolutely nothing wrong about playing video games or watching movies. Reading does help with writing and critical thinking skills but it's not the only medium that does so.

But in more cases than not, a person who reads IS more educated than a person who does not.

@AdonisBatheus Also http://www.theregister.co.uk/20...n_books_study/

I'm sorry, you expect me to read that article as well as your post?

@VicZinc I'm sorry, you expect me to read that article as well as your post?

If your making a joke about how the post says reading doesn't necessarily make you smarter, the op does say he means books. Reading amirite posts definitely makes you smarter, always.

@VicZinc Just a bit of snark -

Nobody's forcing you to read any of this so I don't know why it's a bother.

I think there might be a difference between reading novels and reading textbooks (e.g.) or scholarly publications. I agree that the mere act of reading books does not make you special. Having a depth and breadth of knowledge gleaned from a wide variety of readings probably would lend some air of sophistication to your discourse - [do I sound like an ass yet? I can keep going] :)

Fact: someone who reads a book becomes more knowledgeable had they not read it. You gain the knowledge of the book, this is common sense I thought?

@Gavin Fact: someone who reads a book becomes more knowledgeable had they not read it. You gain the knowledge of the book...

Then you get the same thing from watching a movie.
You learn something while doing pretty much anything, really. So long as you're thinking while doing it.

@AdonisBatheus Then you get the same thing from watching a movie. You learn something while doing pretty much anything, really. So...

The thing is, you're being spoon fed everything when it comes to the movie. Your eyes and ears also only focus on what the brain chooses to be important in that scene...which is usually predetermined by the film's focus itself.

When you're reading a book, you have to put yourself in the story. You have to imagine the things that are being described to you, from the shape of the room, to the texture of an object, to the fear running through the character when gun shots are fired. A movie, on the other hand, throws all of that at you in one fell swoop. It doesn't let you exercise your mind.

I believe, for reasons such as those stated, reading an erotic novel is far more tantalizing that watching a porno.

@The thing is, you're being spoon fed everything when it comes to the movie. Your eyes and ears also only focus on...

And I have to put myself into Skyrim when I play it, otherwise it's boring.

As I posted before, the internet creates more brain stimulation than a book so long as you're internet savvy. That's a proven fact, I posted the link. Go look at it. And brain stimulation is what it's really all about.

Also, I've read erotic novels and fanfiction and the such. Compared to porn, they barely give me a semi.