-43

A lot more people should be able to carry guns at work. If not guns then some sort of protection. Maybe gunmen will think twice if they know we are all packing!

ambams avatar People & Celebrities
0 25

I love when people say the solution to gun violence is MORE GUNS!

@brunetterox915 I love when people say the solution to gun violence is MORE GUNS!

By more guns, you mean giving law abiding citizens the means to defend themselves from the few bad seeds? If one student or teacher at Columbine had had a gun, they may have been able to stop the massacre as soon as it began. If one person on the planes on 9/11 had had a gun, they could have killed the hijackers and landed safely. Sounds perfectly logical to me.

@AtheisticMystic By more guns, you mean giving law abiding citizens the means to defend themselves from the few bad seeds? If one...

I don't know about you, but I would feel less safe knowing my teachers were walking around with guns all the time. Even less safe than that if students were. What if one of them snaps one day?

You're just fighting fire with fire.

@brunetterox915 I don't know about you, but I would feel less safe knowing my teachers were walking around with guns all the...

You would feel less safe, that's the important bit. Statistically, you would be a lot safer. I think it's really sad people would trade actually being safe for the illusion of safety.

@Mike_Hawk You would feel less safe, that's the important bit. Statistically, you would be a lot safer. I think it's...

So you're telling me to combat gun violence, you would have more guns available for abuse? I don't see how that's realistically safer at all. It's all nice to assume every person with these guns in schools will use them for good and the guns will never fall into the wrong hands, but be honest with yourself.

I don't want guns in my school for any purpose, it's really that simple for me.

@brunetterox915 So you're telling me to combat gun violence, you would have more guns available for abuse? I don't see how...

Yes, I would. Taking into consideration that shootings literally only happen (except once) at gun-free zones, having a few more guns here and there would help. And I don't really care about combating gun violence in particular. That's only one type of violence, and it's very short-sighted to only go after that. Yes, it's been proven that reducing the number of guns reduces the amount of gun violence, but it also traditionally shows a MASSIVE increase in every other type of violence.

It's a basic truth, people are afraid of getting shot. I'm afraid of getting shot, you're afraid of getting shot, and criminals are afraid of getting shot. Have you ever seen a video of a store-owner pulling a gun on would-be robbers? As soon as the gun is visible, they scramble out of there like frightened children.

Guns are a wonderful deterrent. Criminals don't want to get shot any more than the average person does, and that's why gun free zones don't work. School shootings sky-rocketed after the gun free school zone act was put in place.

You wouldn't be safer what are you talking about? The USA has around 88.8 guns per 100 people and it has one of the highest homicide rates while japan has less than .6 guns per 100 people and its considered one of the safest places with the least amount of homicides and attempted homicides in the world

Izzie_23s avatar Izzie_23 Disagree +2Reply
@Izzie_23 You wouldn't be safer what are you talking about? The USA has around 88.8 guns per 100 people and it has one of the...

Japan has an Emperor. But this conversation fucked up anyways.

We do not need guns to prevent crime (pitbulls work just as well). We do not need them to hunt (bow hunting works fine). We DO need them to prevent tyranny.

The Constitution does not grant the right to hunt. It does not grant the right to use guns to prevent crime.

It grants the security of a free state. //The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringe. //

(Period.)

Whoopie, good for Japan. We are not Japan. We have a very different culture from Japan. Japan is one of the only countries you can cite with this trend. Australia's violent crime rates increased over 40% since they put in place stricter gun laws. The UK has similar strict gun laws, and they have several times as many violent crimes per 100,000 people as the United States. Mexico has pretty strict gun laws, and they have one of the highest murder-rates that I know of.

Let's stop comparing to other countries, though, because that's useless. Let's look within the United States. Areas with more guns have less crime, and areas with less guns have more crime. Mass shootings only happen in gun-free zones. Gun ownership is on the rise in the United States, and crime is on the decline; both are the highest/lowest they've ever been.

These are all facts. You cannot dispute anything I just said and still live in reality. But none of that matters, you are going to ignore the truth in favor of your gut feeling. You don't have any substantial evidence for your side, while I have all the evidence in the world. I'm sorry, you're wrong. YOU ARE WRONG.

It's just like drugs. The solution to decreasing drug use is obviously not prohibition. All it does is create forbidden fruit and a black market that actually makes it easier to get drugs. The same goes for guns. Why would banning guns be any different from banning drugs?

@bezoarus Because drugs can only injure the person choosing to use them. Please to read:...

It doesn't matter how safe you feel, it matters how safe you are. And guns in the hands of both murderers and law abiding citizens is safer than guns only in the hands of murderers, which is what banning guns would accomplish. And your retort about drugs is irrelevant. I'm not talking about the damage that drugs or guns can do, I'm saying that making either of them illegal doesn't work.

@AtheisticMystic It doesn't matter how safe you feel, it matters how safe you are. And guns in the hands of both murderers and law...

No guns is safer than any guns. So, everything you said about guns is irrelevant. Because it's wrong. Nice debating technique, though.

bezoaruss avatar bezoarus Disagree 0Reply
@bezoarus No guns is safer than any guns. So, everything you said about guns is irrelevant. Because it's wrong. Nice debating...

But there will never be no guns. It is impossible to completely prevent people from getting what they want if they try hard enough. Obviously it didn't work with prohibition, so why would it work with guns? If somebody is planning on killing a bunch of people, they will find a way to get a gun. Just because something is illegal doesn't mean that it is inaccessible. The kind of person that would shoot up a school is the kind of person that would buy a gun illegally, while the kind of person that would shoot an attacker to save other people's lives wouldn't break the law to get a gun.

While no guns would be safer in theory, it's just not possible.

slairs avatar slair Agree +1Reply
@slair But there will never be no guns. It is impossible to completely prevent people from getting what they want if they...

It's a lot easier to make moonshine than a revolver. If governments didn't allow guns to be made, it would be virtually impossible to obtain one.

bezoaruss avatar bezoarus Disagree -1Reply
@bezoarus It's a lot easier to make moonshine than a revolver. If governments didn't allow guns to be made, it would be...

Yes, because if the government says people can't make something, no one will make it. And certainly no one would import guns illegally and sell them on the black market. That's crazy talk.

I think I'll start telecommuting now, thanks anyways

but not all of us should. like I..im a calm person but i got a temper. so i would never ever buy a live ammo weapon, even tho weapons are a passion of mine. i got a gas pistol n i have done some craziness with it. i dont wanna go to jail just cos i had my nerves stretched and i didnt think clearly at the moment. xD

A lot of gunmen at at famous tragic shootings were students. This would only further enable school shootings. What individual schools should worry about is having higher security.

Encore93s avatar Encore93 Disagree -4Reply
@1892187

I am saying neither students or teachers should have guns.

Encore93s avatar Encore93 Disagree +2Reply
@Encore93 I am saying neither students or teachers should have guns.

That's exactly why school shootings happen. Keep up the great work.

or just no one could have guns...