+30

Because the ability of humans to accurately communicate ideas is so limited we can never really know the truth about anything. And even if we did discover the absolute truth about something, we could never clearly share that truth with anyone else. But we try anyway. Amirite?

VicZincs avatar Philosophy
0 11
The voters have decided that VicZinc is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Hey vic long time no see

I'm communicating with you right now that 1+1=2. Am I not perfectly accurate? Is this not an absolute truth? Haven't I clearly shared with you this absolute truth? This post is full of shit.

Also, Einstein didn't have a hard time explaining relativity to other physicists. It's very well understood. The general population's lack of deep understanding is due to them being uneducated in higher physics. That's all.

@TheMisogynist I'm communicating with you right now that 1+1=2. Am I not perfectly accurate? Is this not an absolute truth?...

You are probably right because you often are. I based that statement on research like this "The general theory of relativity could not be understood by most of Einstein’s contemporaries..." [http://www.einstein-website.de/...ion/faq-e.html] and many other quotes from the scientists like Bohr and Oppenheimer.

Also 1+1=2 is indeed true in the arithmetic they teach in public schools in western countries. However in complex spaces like the Riemann Sphere such "clear" answers are far from absolute.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are -1Reply
@VicZinc You are probably right because you often are. I based that statement on research like this "The general theory of...

Nice of you to leave out "Today things have changed. The theories of relativity are already dealt with in the upper classes of grammar school and are basic components of every physics study" which came right after your quote.

Alright, show me an instance where 1+1 =/= 2, given that "one" and "two" are common units.

@TheMisogynist Nice of you to leave out "Today things have changed. The theories of relativity are already dealt with in the upper...

To be fair, I said "Einstein struggled with this trying to get others to understand relativity." The fact that it is now part of standard teaching in grammar school does not negate his struggles to communicate the new ideas.

Even so many physicist today would say he was wrong, or at least incomplete. That is not to say he did not know the truth about the universe, only that if he did, he could not communicate it clearly.

To your other point, yes, I can agree on these definitions and to that extent we can communicate simple concepts like 1+1.

If you can accurately communicate all your ideas clearly than you are a better man then I. I doff my hat to you.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are 0Reply

I think our ability to know the truth about anything is more limited by the fact that it's so hard to prove that anything is the absolute truth.

Of course we aren't perfect. But I am more impressed by the way we can communicate so efficiently compared to all other animals rather than focusing on the occasional miscommunications that happen.

drhannahs avatar drhannah Yeah You Are +1Reply

Einstein struggled with this trying to get others to understand relativity. What are other examples of human difficulty in communicating ideas?

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are -2Reply