+11

The government has too much power

WinniethePoohs avatar Politics
1 13

In an ideal world, the only thing governments would do is provide safety for the citizens (police force, fire fighters, etc)

besides that (may be a few other things, but that's the main stuff) people should be left to do whatever the fuck they want

@J_A_C_K In an ideal world, the only thing governments would do is provide safety for the citizens (police force, fire...

Our Government was originally set up to do 3 things. Enforce laws, protect the populace, and provide public goods. Now our government not only does way more, but they have gone too far in each of their responsibilities.

@scojo Our Government was originally set up to do 3 things. Enforce laws, protect the populace, and provide public goods...

The American government? It was actually set up to do one thing: Uphold the liberties of citizens.

I rather the government have too much power than not enough...

Izzie_23s avatar Izzie_23 Disagree +2Reply
@Izzie_23 I rather the government have too much power than not enough...

Why? Just curious because I've always has the philosophy of Ben Franklin: “Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”

@WinniethePooh Why? Just curious because I've always has the philosophy of Ben Franklin: “Those who desire to give up freedom in...

Well when they don't have enough power they cant put any laws . Many under developed countries who government doesn't have enough power cannot control the people they cannot avoid corruption and crimes go unsolved. The government is here to help us help keep us from stupidity. I am for government. I love that the government gives me **free heath care, that in case of crime they will solve it that services will be provided if I become poor, sick or other thing. I love my government even thought sometimes they are idiots.

I know I have taxes but I consider it free since I have paid taxes all my life and don't notice them anymore

Izzie_23s avatar Izzie_23 Disagree -1Reply
@Izzie_23 Well when they don't have enough power they cant put any laws . Many under developed countries who government...

Well your Canadian government is probably more well run than the American one. Speaking specifically about my own government, it's not like we live under the Articles of Confederation where the government couldn't effectively govern. Our government is pretty much strong enough to pass whatever legislation they want--in my opinion, too much power. Without getting into the logistics of healthcare, the main issue is whether or not the government has the authority to force us to purchase anything...which they don't. When the government can force you to purchase anything I say it's too much

@WinniethePooh Well your Canadian government is probably more well run than the American one. Speaking specifically about my own...

Well any taxes practically they force you to buy to services even if you dont need them and its weird but I like that. Its good to know that if ever I become poor and I get sick injured I wont have to sell my house or a liver in order to get the care needed.

Izzie_23s avatar Izzie_23 Disagree 0Reply

NDAA and Patriot Act

@MusicIsAGift NDAA and Patriot Act

This. This. This x 100000000000000. People need to quit allowing so much freedom to be taken away just for security. At some point it becomes ridiculous. We've reached that point.

@1894472

Aren't they all though? If you think about it, it doesn't matter how much or how little power a government has if they use that power responsibly and the will of the people. The problem is that has never ever happened...all governments do is expand and become more powerful until they cave in on themselves

I find the score of this post disturbing.