-7

If there is no higher being that dictates what is right and what is wrong, then who does? The most powerful human being, which is very dangerous, amirite?

kristins avatar Religion
0 10
The voters have decided that kristin is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Who dictates whats right n wrong you ask?....n i answer most objectively-the fuking society. ;]

Christianity is the only religion I'm familiar with, so that's what I'll talk about. Does Christian dogma say anything about animals rights? As far as I know, Christianity holds humans are actually above other animals, correct? So why aren't you cruel to animals? Like CombatSkill said, society will usually stop you... and even if it doesn't, I believe our ability to empathize would stop most of us from, say, clubbing stray dogs.

One final comment. I believe a lot of the cruelty man does to one another is because of faith. A mentally healthy atheist will not fly a plane into a building.

@PhilboydStudge Christianity is the only religion I'm familiar with, so that's what I'll talk about. Does Christian dogma say...

Christian dogma dictates human morality, faith and worship. I believe that the fifth commandment (you shall not kill) covers animal cruelty. "You shall not kill" doesn't just mean "don't kill people." It means a lot more actually. I won't go into that because you probably don't care.

But I assume you're referring to 9/11.. and I must say that a mentally healthy religious person would not fly a plane into a building either. So your statement there means nothing. In fact, Christianity teaches to forgive those that have hurt you, including people who have murdered your family member.

kristins avatar kristin Yeah You Are 0Reply
@kristin Christian dogma dictates human morality, faith and worship. I believe that the fifth commandment (you shall not...

Like I said, I was speaking of Christianity in general. I wasn't commenting on your interpretation of the 5th commandment.

Genesis 1:26... I had to look it up :-)
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

According to this, animals are at man's disposal.

Yes, I was referring to 9/11. That was the most obvious example, but certainly not the only one. Religion compels ordinary people to do wicked things. The cutting of the genetalia of children. The degrading of women. Car bombs. Protesting soldiers' funerals. Fights over land that people claim is theirs because of some 2,000 year old book.

@PhilboydStudge Like I said, I was speaking of Christianity in general. I wasn't commenting on your interpretation of the 5th...

And I don't want you to think I'm a religious nut. I'm pretty normal actually. I'm just trying to prove my point and I'm usually bad at doing so

kristins avatar kristin Yeah You Are +1Reply

Yes, God said that humans have dominion over the rest of creation. Dominion basically means power, correct? And with great power comes great responsibility. Humans have a responsibility to nurture God's creation. God's saying that humans have dominion over creation does not mean that humans get to do whatever they want (even though we sometimes do).

A lot of your examples do not pertain to Christianity. In fact, 9/11, degrading of women, bombing, and the fight in Palestine (I'm assuming again) predominantly deal with the Islamic religion and Arabs. So, as you can see it is not all religious people that have such problems.

kristins avatar kristin Yeah You Are -1Reply

Sometimes the most powerful human being manipulates the message given from the higher power (if there ever was one) to maintain power over others.

@kristin Actually reenforces my statement.

I think it is more likely a well-educated society (which can be influenced by belief in a higher power or not) which can dictate right from wrong. Critical thinking is crucial for development of morals.