+44

Not dissing a whole genre (rap, cause i like some rap/hip hop stuff), but it seems a lot of rap music is incredibly lazy. Is it just me or do a lot of rap lyrics make absolutely no sense at all.

Music
0 17

Of course there is some rap music that's just some ghetto clown ranting and raving into a microphone. But there is also rap music that could be called poetry.

You just need to listen to some Outkast, Pac, Mos Def, ATCQ, Atomsphere, Aesop Rock, Big L, and rappers like them. I enjoy all rap music, even some of the grimey stuff, but if you're looking for some clever shit that'll be right up your alley.

@KadeBam You just need to listen to some Outkast, Pac, Mos Def, ATCQ, Atomsphere, Aesop Rock, Big L, and rappers like them...

I'll look into those artists. A group I've come across that I really like is a band from Utah, called Can't Stop Won't Stop. I really like when artist use real instruments and actually compose real sound instead from just a bunch of overproduced digital crap. An rapper from my homeland is called Classified and he's pretty good. I'm more into rock (and most of it's sub genres) but I love pretty much all music as long as there's real effort and feeling evident.

It's hard to hear what they're saying in the song, then when i read the lyrics, I'm thinking "what the hell are they talking about?"

@It's hard to hear what they're saying in the song, then when i read the lyrics, I'm thinking "what the hell are...

You must listen to commercial rap and trap music. Those involve lots of heavy bass in the instrumental and "trap" comes from the concept of drug dealing under the same name. Lyrical content isn't needed for it since it is usually just for getting high, getting crunk or just blasting out of your car in the hood. Though when it is lyrical, it's usually full of street slang or in ebonics, therefore english speakers may not recognize all of the words said. Alternative rap, spoken word, and many other forms of rap are very coherent and interesting. You may like some songs like Chum by Earl Sweatshirt, You Can't Get There From Here by Spose, Hang Ups by T-Pain, and Stupidass by Watsky. Those have deep or understandble lyrics. A lot of rap makes sense, the popular stuff is the only confusing stuff. Also, you might like the site Rap Genius, it deciphers rap lyrics. y smilie

Skr3wBalls avatar Skr3wBall Disagree +4Reply
@Skr3wBall You must listen to commercial rap and trap music. Those involve lots of heavy bass in the instrumental and "trap"...

See, I like that you gave a good response, even if you disagree. Too many people are narrow minded when talking about music and shout like crazy about it. I'm not really into the t-pain stuff, still listening to the others. I posted this b/c I noticed my sister enjoying Azealia Banks - 1991, and I just couldn't get it. To be honest, once I listened to it on good headphones, it sounded better. I'm really into rock but I'm also open to much more than that. It's just my primary taste (was just listening to Them Crooked Vultures). Thanks for your input.

Technically, "commercial rap" makes up a lot of rap music, especially a lot of rap that gets played on the radio.

BTW, is "trap" the stuff where it sounds like hip-hop and maybe has some distorted, repetitive vocals, about the same tempo as dubstep, but not really any rapping in it?

@MusicIsAGift Technically, "commercial rap" makes up a lot of rap music, especially a lot of rap that gets played on the...

Well, that is Trap EDM, trap rap is stuff like Chief Keef, Future and stuff. Trap EDM is exactly what you said y smilie

and commercial rap is definitely a good portion, but I wouldn't say a lot. Considering the underground scene is so large and alternative rappers are becomeing a larger group like Childish Gambino, Tyler, The Creator, Schoolboy Q. In fact XXL has a freshman list that contains about 85% rappers and the rest are either commercial or just bad. And since they do this every year and hundreds are considered and don't make the cut, I don't consider pop rap to be as prominent as it seems to be.

They also make a lot of references to different things, which makes it hard to understand the lyrical content. If you listen to it a lot, you'll start to understand some of the names and references used. A lot of the time, the references are actually pretty clever in the song, if you know what they're referencing.
I tried to explain myself without using "references" but oh well.

"Biting on my lips like Jeffrey Dahmer" is definitely the weirdest line I've ever heard.

@Recital "Biting on my lips like Jeffrey Dahmer" is definitely the weirdest line I've ever heard.

It might sound like a weird thing to say, but it's not really. It's a properly compose sentence and it makes sense. Weird sayings in songs isn't what I'm talking about. I heard my sister listening to the song "1991" and I just didn't get it.

Young Nubi, young coochy tight
Young juicy, young Uzi-might
Rata-tat-tat-tat
Nick-nack pitty-pat-pat-pat
Silly cat, you don't have that scratch?
How you do that, do that, do that that that
1-9-9-1 my time has come
Oh nah nah Ma

The website rapgenius is really good b/c it translates it into what the meaning is. None of the verses in that song make any sense in real English.

HEY EVRYONE! ARE YAL LISSININ?! MY NAIM IS DESMOND ELIJAH DAVIS. MY STARSIGN IS THE SAIM AS 50 CINT'S! HE'S A TORUS JUSS LIKE ME!

It's because most rap only talks about 3 things: Money, bitches, and cars.

@scojo It's because most rap only talks about 3 things: Money, bitches, and cars.

I would say a lot but definitely not most. You are underestimating the amount of underground rap that exists and talks about some extremely deep, insightful, relevant stuff.

@MusicIsAGift I would say a lot but definitely not most. You are underestimating the amount of underground rap that exists and...

Every time I've heard someone say a rap artist is insightful and writes deep lyrics, I look them up and find the songs are still, at their core, about money, women, and cars. Sometimes prison and fighting as well. Sorry, I just don't find that deep and insightful.

@scojo Every time I've heard someone say a rap artist is insightful and writes deep lyrics, I look them up and find the...

This is an example of what I'm talking about:

You have to look a bit harder to find the meaningful rap since the corporations controlling the airwaves will only play the commercialized stuff, but good rap definitely exists.

Also, I am a bit of a fan of Lupe Fiasco now since hearing about the stunt he pulled at the inaugural concert.