+19

"[The liberties given by the Constitution] are only protected by a parchment- by words. They may be destroyed whenever it shall be admitted that the strict and common sense of words may be construed away." -Albert Gallatin, 1799. There was a reason why the greatest minds this country had to offer spent four months in Independence Hall drafting what would be the most important document in the world. Know the Constitution. Know your freedoms.

JeffGigliottis avatar Quotes
0 3

I had a teacher tell us once that if the government stops serving the people then it's our right to remove it and rebuild one that serves its purpose. But if you went and stood outside the white house calling for people to take down the government, you'd be arrested as a terrorist.

@I had a teacher tell us once that if the government stops serving the people then it's our right to remove it and...

This is my number one problem with the government. I'm no anarchist, but after studying Andrew Jackson, I've learned that the country does best when the government acts as a servant to the people. The government exists to serve, not rule, and there probably isn't one congressman or judge or secretary in the government who truly acts this way.

@swimlax This is my number one problem with the government. I'm no anarchist, but after studying Andrew Jackson, I've...

There are many people in office who don't want the government to be an omnipotent force. Unfortunately, those elected to office more commonly reflect the philosophy of Hobbes rather than of Locke.