-32

The word "teenager" is just a cultural term, and has nothing to do with biology. Puberty could happen as early as 8, or it could happen as late as 14, but on average it's at 11 for boys and 10 for girls. Adolescence is from 11-17, because most people start middle school at 11. 11-13 are the early group of adolescence, the middle school years. 14 is in between, you end 8th Grade and start Freshman year at 14. 15-17 are the later group of adolescence, the high school years.

Life
0 31

I consider a teenager an age where you have "teen" in the title. 13-19 regardless of puberty, school or anything like that.

@Skr3wBall I consider a teenager an age where you have "teen" in the title. 13-19 regardless of puberty, school or anything...

I disagreed with the post but I could think of two counter arguments to your comment: 1) why should a 19-year-old be grouped with a 13-year-old just because both words end in "teen"? Biologically, legally, and socially, 19-year-olds and 13-year-olds have virtually nothing in common. 2) As far as I'm aware, English is the only language in which the numbers 13-19 have the same suffix. This would support the OP's contention that the concept of teenager is rooted in culture (specifically, rooted in the randomness of language creation) rather than in any logic.

But remember, 13 year olds group better in with 11 and 12 year olds then they do with 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 year olds.

The cultural term "teenager" mostly fits the 15-19 age group, and not very much the 13-14 age group.

@But remember, 13 year olds group better in with 11 and 12 year olds then they do with 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 year...

I still think the term refers to someone that is in the "age of teen" therefore a teenager... I don't consider it a cultural term, just a number grouping really.

@Skr3wBall I still think the term refers to someone that is in the "age of teen" therefore a teenager... I don't consider it a...

I guess that works well, since we use the term "twenties" to describe 20-29, "thirties" for 30-39, and so on.

What is the point of this post?

'Teenager' just means someone from age 13-19 (thirTEEN to nineTEEN).

@What is the point of this post? 'Teenager' just means someone from age 13-19 (thirTEEN to nineTEEN).

I know, but I just want you guys to know that it's just a cultural term, and not a biological term. Besides, the word "teenager" mostly fits the 15-19 age group, and not very much the 13-14 age group.

@I know, but I just want you guys to know that it's just a cultural term, and not a biological term. Besides, the...

13 and 14 year olds are still teenagers. Hence the term 'teen' in their age.

Besides, adolescence is just a cultural term too. Generally it starts at puberty, but when it ends can vary from country to country.

@13 and 14 year olds are still teenagers. Hence the term 'teen' in their age. Besides, adolescence is just a...

"Teen" being at the end is just a coincidence.
The only languages I know that separate 13-19 from 10-12 are English and German.

In Spanish, there is no separation of 10-12 from 13-19.

Nine = Nueve
Ten = Diez
Eleven = Once
Twelve = Doce
Thirteen = Trece
Fourteen = Catorce

@"Teen" being at the end is just a coincidence. The only languages I know that separate 13-19 from 10-12 are...

Spanish is a bad example because it separates 11-14, (there is a separation of 10 and 11) and 15-20 are grouped.

@Spanish is a bad example because it separates 11-14, (there is a separation of 10 and 11) and 15-20 are grouped.

Spanish groups 11-14 away from 15-19.
English and German group 10-12 away from 13-19.

Then look at French.

Eleven = Onze
Twelve = Douze
Thirteen = Treize
Fourteen = Quatorze
Fifteen = Quinze
Sixteen = Seize
Seventeen = Dix-sept
Eighteen = Dix-huit
Nineteen = Dix-neuf

Notice how French groups 11-16 away from 17-19?

Just use 11-17 for adolescence. "teen" being at the end of 13-19 is a coincidence, as "dix" being at the beginning of 17-19 in French.

@Spanish groups 11-14 away from 15-19. English and German group 10-12 away from 13-19. Then look at French. Eleven...

You cant use 11-17 for adolescence. There is no set age for where adolescence begins and for when it ends.

@1894345

Legal adulthood isn't the same in every country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ag...sent_in_Europe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ag..._North_America
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ag...onsent_in_Asia

Just a few continents where the age isn't always 18 in every country.

http://ctrlv.in/155661

Wikipedia isn't always the best, but whatever.

This isn't biology class.

@soberlikekesha This isn't biology class.

It is biology class on this post. Get off this post if you want to be absent.

Teenager is a cultural term created about 100 years ago, but your reasoning after that was really off. Starting middle school is not what constitutes being an adolescent. I'm not sure where you got that from.

I would consider it more of a language thing than a cultural thing, based on comments above, but language is part of culture. Typically, "teenager" means anyone from 13 to 19 because of "teen" but every language has a different pattern for this set of numbers, as mentioned above.

Thanks, sociology class.

It has nothing to do with biology? How is the number of years a person has existed outside their mother's uterus have nothing to with it?

I consider teenagers to be 10-19 year olds. Teen is just ten but a "tenager" sounds stupid, so they slapped another "e" in there.

@I agree with that. So teenager is 10-19, and adolescence is 11-17.

Adolescence is from puberty until legal adulthood. The Latin root means "to grow up," which means that it is the "in between" stage from childhood to adulthood.

Wow, so many butthurt thumbs downs.

http://ctrlv.in/156120

@Wow, so many butthurt thumbs downs. http://ctrlv.in/156120

You get thumbs downs cause your argument is terrible