+75

The founding fathers and pilgrims were illegal immigrants.

bezoaruss avatar Politics
2 14

Good point, except there were no immigration laws back then so they were immigrants but not technically illegal, but by today's standards most would be considered undesirable menaces.

No...no, they weren't.

They were immigrants. There were no laws against them being there. I'm sure if the Natives knew what they were going to do there would have been, regardless, no laws against something means it's not illegal.

@Frank_n_Furter They were immigrants. There were no laws against them being there. I'm sure if the Natives knew what they were...

So the comment that just says "no they weren't" with no reasoning gets upvoted and the comment that has reasoning backing it up gets downvoted?

@JeffGigliotti The natives DID know what they were doing.

Yeah WHILE THEY WERE DOING IT. By thay point it's a bit to late to form a government and make immigration laws. Hense why I said were going to do, not what they were currently doing.

@Frank_n_Furter Yeah WHILE THEY WERE DOING IT. By thay point it's a bit to late to form a government and make immigration laws...

I just copied my comment from below:

The natives actually welcomed settelers because they believed that the new, powerful presence would scare off the Pequots from attacking other tribes.
The pilgrims actually bought the land from the natives and when land was taken illegally (and there were laws regarding this), there was a trial and, more often than not, the native american won the case and continued living on it.
Even after the land was being sold to the Pilgrims, the native americans were still allowed to hunt on the land becuase this allowed fur and meat to be traded for a mutual benefit.
The idea that the pilgrims were supporters of racism a myth.

@JeffGigliotti I just copied my comment from below: The natives actually welcomed settelers because they believed that the new...

I'm running off 6 hours of sleep for the past 72 hours, I don't trust myself to write a proper response now but that's really interesting.

They we by today's standards, but back then there were no immigration laws in America. People went where they pleased.

pikabeaus avatar pikabeau Disagree 0Reply