+302

No matter how bad you are at math, every one is still equal, amirite?

Image for post No matter how bad you are at math, every one is still equal, amirite?
Skr3wBalls avatar Health, Beauty & Fitness
58 94
The voters have decided that Skr3wBall is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

This is witty and beautiful at the same time. cry smilie

Lens avatar Len Yeah You Are +34Reply

Suggested for POTD. My god. beautiful.

WhatThePoptartss avatar WhatThePoptarts Yeah You Are +17Reply

While size and color do not matter, there are other factors that make me believe that not everyone is equal.

Discords avatar Discord No Way +11Reply
@Discord While size and color do not matter, there are other factors that make me believe that not everyone is equal.

The joke behind it is that that every form of 1 is still 1 and 1 is equal to one. This post never said a thing about human beings.

Skr3wBalls avatar Skr3wBall Yeah You Are +9Reply
@Discord The analogy isn't apt.

I just looked up the word apt considering I always have seen it meaning "apartment", but now I say y smilie alright then stick to it.

Skr3wBalls avatar Skr3wBall Yeah You Are +1Reply
@xxdetroitxx No, you disagreed just to be a troll.

No, it's a perfectly legitimate standpoint.
Allow me to argue for that side; everyone is born and/or raised in a way that promotes them to put more time into some things and of course less in others. Since we all value different things people can't be all equal.
There are many other ways to look at it beyond that as well.

Lens avatar Len Yeah You Are +9Reply
@Len No, it's a perfectly legitimate standpoint. Allow me to argue for that side; everyone is born and/or raised in a...

How does being worse at something than someone else make you less equal than them?
That has nothing to do with equality.
All people were created equal, simple as that.

xxdetroitxxs avatar xxdetroitxx Yeah You Are -13Reply
@xxdetroitxx How does being worse at something than someone else make you less equal than them? That has nothing to do with...

We define what is most valuable in a person, so if we quantified someone's opinion on a few people we'd see that some people in this this person's eyes are worth less than others, therefore of course making them not equal.

Also, saying "simple as that" without actually having an argument at all is just sort of obnoxious and sounds horribly close minded.

Lens avatar Len Yeah You Are +11Reply
@Len We define what is most valuable in a person, so if we quantified someone's opinion on a few people we'd see that...

You're calling me closed minded?
You're the one that just said not everyone is equal.

xxdetroitxxs avatar xxdetroitxx Yeah You Are -12Reply
@xxdetroitxx You're calling me closed minded? You're the one that just said not everyone is equal.

No, I actually only said that one of the things you said sounded close minded, I didn't mean to imply you are. I suppose it's not far fetch that you'd take that that way though.
Also, "open minded" doesn't mean "completely agrees with me" which you seem to think.
It means something more along the lines of "able to see things from multiple directions and willing to change their mind".

Can you reply to the meat of my comments now, my argument, instead of complaining that you're mildly offended? In fact, you can so both, actually.

Lens avatar Len Yeah You Are +6Reply
@xxdetroitxx Just listen to yourself. It's ridiculous.

Oh my, I'm sorry, are you deaf? Can you not detect the sound logic?

Lens avatar Len Yeah You Are +9Reply
@xxdetroitxx I can't detect logic where there isn't any.

Let me break it down one more time and you can tell me why it's ever so absurd.

People define the value of human attributes (as well as other things but that's besides the point).

People have different attributes, for example, I'm awful in geography but am great with math. My knowledge and comprehension of these things are examples of attributes.

Some people think math is more important than geography, others think geography is more important than math.

Lets bring someone else into this situation, we'll call her Lain.

Lain is great with geography and awful with math.

The people who value math over geography would see me as more valuable than Lain.

The people who value geography over math would value Lain over me.

Therefore, we aren't equal.

That's obviously a very scaled down example but I'm sure if you're going to get my point at all, that'll explain it properly.

Lens avatar Len Yeah You Are +8Reply
@Len Let me break it down one more time and you can tell me why it's ever so absurd. People define the value of...

That's called being different, having different skillsets.
That doesn't make anyone less equal than someone else.

xxdetroitxxs avatar xxdetroitxx Yeah You Are +2Reply
@xxdetroitxx That's called being different, having different skillsets. That doesn't make anyone less equal than someone else.

What makes you think skill sets don't have different values to different people?
You're making statements, not arguments.

Lens avatar Len Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Len What makes you think skill sets don't have different values to different people? You're making statements, not...

I never wanted an "argument" in the first place.
You responded to one of my comments that wasn't even applying to you whatsoever, you butted in.

Just make a post to see if skill sets have different values to different people for all I freaking care.

xxdetroitxxs avatar xxdetroitxx Yeah You Are -6Reply
@xxdetroitxx I never wanted an "argument" in the first place. You responded to one of my comments that wasn't even applying to...

If you never wanted an argument with me why did you even bother to respond?

The fact that I "butted in" is meaningless, this is the internet, even on another site you should be almost expecting people to "butt in" and especially on this site, it's about sharing all of our opinions.

Why don't you want to have this argument with me anyway?
Is it because you can't defend your point of view?
If you can then why don't you want to defend your point of view?
Why are you so content with letting me trample on something you believe in?
You're really not willing to even stand up for yourself in a situation where you're perfectly able to?
You'd rather just dance around my points singing ♪ Lalalaa♪ and act like you're right?

Why are people equal?

Lens avatar Len Yeah You Are +4Reply
@Len If you never wanted an argument with me why did you even bother to respond? The fact that I "butted in" is...

1. I responded cuz you pissed me off
2. I have better things to do than argue with an internet person
& 3, I'm sorry for giving you so many notifications, skr3wball

xxdetroitxxs avatar xxdetroitxx Yeah You Are -10Reply
@1898064

I always wanted a hot shirtless guy to say that to me.

Lens avatar Len Yeah You Are +6Reply
@xxdetroitxx 1. I responded cuz you pissed me off 2. I have better things to do than argue with an internet person & 3, I'm...

If everyone is truly equal, then no individual's life is more important than another's, right? Let's say you had to choose which to save, a close friend or a criminal. Who would you choose?

@Discord If everyone is truly equal, then no individual's life is more important than another's, right? Let's say you had to...

Obviously I'd choose my close friend because they're more important to me than the criminal.
But that doesnt mean the criminal isn't any less equal as a human being than my close friend is.

xxdetroitxxs avatar xxdetroitxx Yeah You Are -3Reply
@xxdetroitxx Obviously I'd choose my close friend because they're more important to me than the criminal. But that doesnt mean...

If everyone is equal, why are some more important to you? Strange how everyone is equal, but you value some peoples' lives over others.

@Discord If everyone is equal, why are some more important to you? Strange how everyone is equal, but you value some...

Just because you value someones life over someone elses doesnt mean that that other person is any less equal as a human being.

You have better things to do than argue with me?
Like what? Talk to me and make yourself look like an idiot? You're wasting just as much time on this as you would actually making good points, that is, if you weren't an idiot anyway. ono smilie

Lens avatar Len Yeah You Are +4Reply
@1898059

Totally! :D
and no to the white supremacy thing.
I aint even white.

xxdetroitxxs avatar xxdetroitxx Yeah You Are -1Reply

If everyone was equal, why would there be an argument like the one that is happening right now between xxdetroitxx and Len? troll smilie

Sewcdfs avatar Sewcdf Yeah You Are +1Reply
@xxdetroitxx Cuz people are dumbasses and like to argue for no apparent reason.

No, because people argue when they feel that you are wrong and feel that you are wrong with a reason, and therefore would like to express their reason.

By saying that "people are dumbasses" and everyone is equal, you're calling yourself a dumbass.

Sewcdfs avatar Sewcdf Yeah You Are +4Reply
@Sewcdf No, because people argue when they feel that you are wrong and feel that you are wrong with a reason, and therefore...

I know why people argue.
I said there's no apparent reason why people LIKE to argue.
& no shit I did.

xxdetroitxxs avatar xxdetroitxx Yeah You Are +1Reply
@xxdetroitxx I know why people argue. I said there's no apparent reason why people LIKE to argue. & no shit I did.

The reason why people like to argue is because other people like to make opinions that are illogical to them.

Sewcdfs avatar Sewcdf Yeah You Are -2Reply

Fuck twos

This is kind of irrelevant but only slightly. So in elementary school I used to go through and draw each number, 1-9 over and over again looking different each time and then I would judge them and select the best looking one from each number and in the end select one winner. I doubt anyone cares I just wanted to mention that. Okay thank you for your time.

Everyone deserves equal treatment and racism/prejudice are not cool. However, I'm not sure that everyone is equal. Some people are given more opportunities and others need to work harder.

@1897960

The user base of this site isn't for us anymore brother.

@1897960

That's what she said

Why is this under "Drugs"?

KatieKaties avatar KatieKatie Yeah You Are +2Reply
@KatieKatie Why is this under "Drugs"?

wary smilie A question I cannot answer...

Skr3wBalls avatar Skr3wBall Yeah You Are +7Reply

The people have spoken. goo smilie

I love how the big one is the black one.

@1897969

1 in Zapfino font, it's still equal to 1.

Skr3wBalls avatar Skr3wBall Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1897971

I thought I posted a comment with a picture of me writing your name and saying you're the best in Zapfino font, but I lost the picture and apparently never sent it so here's a hug hug smilie

Before this argument is had, I think there should be some definitions accepted by both sides.

What do we mean by "equal"? Do we mean that we all have the same abilities and potential to accomplish certain things? Or do we mean that we all have the right to certain freedoms such as thought, speech, property?

The first definition spits in the face of evolution so that argument would not fair well at all.

The second definition allows for a more robust discussion. It reels in many different opinions on humanity and its worth.

Then comes of the question of whether or not equality is something that can be lost as you grow, or do you always have it?

That being said, what do you guys think of when you hear "all people are equal" or "created equal"?

People are not equal. We ALL deserve equal RIGHTS, no matter what, but the fact is we cannot live our lives being equal to everyone else. We have different skills, interests, and accomplishments. Some people, based on what they are capable of, are simply better than others.

anonons avatar anonon No Way +1Reply

well... what if i told you there was a mathematical way to prove that two equals 1... Than everyone but that guy is equal.

Some one who can't run is not equal to me. I can run. Maybe in mental capacity yes. In emotional strength maybe, but never the less not everyone is equal.

I'm sooo making an embroidery of this.

this planet and it's peoples have trouble with human rights.

-1 =/= 1

A negative one is still a one. Just not positive. Like with people. Negative people aren't like positive people.

@AppAwesome -1 =/= 1 A negative one is still a one. Just not positive. Like with people. Negative people aren't like positive...

usually
when someone tells me a number
I assume it's positive unless stated otherwise

I think most accept this too

fuzalas avatar fuzala Yeah You Are 0Reply

If -1 ≠ 1 then are you saying it is or isn't 1? It's absolute value is the same, but it's a whole different number.

@AppAwesome -1 is A 1, but it isn't equal to 1.

I personally consider it different. It's like Kindle to a Kindle Fire. Same basic purpose, does all the same things,has a one word name difference, but there are other little factors making it a whole different thing. Very similar nonetheless.

@AppAwesome That doesn't mean they're equal...

Why not? Who determines the value of positive and negative numbers? It's impossible to objectively say there is more value to a positive number than a negative number, the only way to objectively prove equalness or unequalness is its distance from 0.

@Frank_n_Furter ?

Why is it the distance from 0? Why not from 3? The distance from 3 to 1 is twice the distance from 3 to -1.

@Frank_n_Furter Because 0 is the middle of the infinite line of numbers.

I don't see why we have to start from the middle. Here in America, we read from left to right.

@Frank_n_Furter I'm starting to think you might be trolling...

I think that you are trolling. You're seriously trying to argue that -1 = 1

@AppAwesome I think that you are trolling. You're seriously trying to argue that -1 = 1

You're seriously trying to use the direction American's read as a reason for why numbers don't branch off into negative and positives from 0. Just because something isn't the exact same doesn't mean they're not equal. A pound of feathers is equal to a pound of bricks. -1 is the same distance away from 0 as 1 is.

@Frank_n_Furter You're seriously trying to use the direction American's read as a reason for why numbers don't branch off into...

A pound of feathers is equal to a pound of bricks.

Is losing a pound of bricks equal to gaining a pound of feathers?

@AppAwesome A pound of feathers is equal to a pound of bricks. Is losing a pound of bricks equal to gaining a pound of feathers?

Going into negative numbers isn't losing numbers. But yes. If for every time you lost a pound of bricks you gained a pound of feathers, you still have an equal weight. If you put negative 1 and -1 together, it's 0. If you put any number and it's negative together it's 0. That's why 0 is the mid point for negative and positive numbers and not say, 3.

@Frank_n_Furter By what logic how are they not equal?

"If for every time you lost a pound of bricks you gained a pound of feathers, you still have an equal weight."

If for everytime you gained a pound of bricks you gained a pound of feathers, you would not have an equal weight.

@AppAwesome "If for every time you lost a pound of bricks you gained a pound of feathers, you still have an equal weight." If...

You went from lose a pound of bricks and gaining a pound of feathers and keeping one pound to gaining a pound of bricks and gaining a pound of feathers and having 2 pounds.

Interesting you mention that. If we choose infinity as the reference point then all numbers are equal to each other by the "distance from" theory.

You also brought up something about pounds. If all ones are equal what happens when you change then units? 1kg = 1m?

To add my two cents on this -1 +1 ordeal, a -1 is nothing more than a +1 going in the opposite direction. This is in purely physical terms. Of course.

@Kratosisterrifying Interesting you mention that. If we choose infinity as the reference point then all numbers are equal to each other...

By using infinity as the number set, 3 is not the same distance from 4 as it is from 11 or the same distance from 0 as 10 is, not all numbers are equal in distance. For every positive number, there is a negative number- so 0 is in the middle. 3 is 3 away from 0 and -3 is 3 away from 0. Infinity is not the reference point, 0 is.

I have no idea what you mean, a unit of weight can't be equal with a unit of distance. And I'm not arguing that all 1s are equal.

@Frank_n_Furter By using infinity as the number set, 3 is not the same distance from 4 as it is from 11 or the same distance from 0...

"If we choose infinity as the reference point..." Based on my premise, my conclusion that all numbers are are equidistant from infinity stands unabated.

Of course, 0 as a reference point makes more sense, but that wasn't my argument.

Also, 1kg = 1m was meant to illustrate that although the number itself is the same the unit they represent will create an inequality. This was intended to counter the original post.

You mentioned earlier that -1 is the same distance to 0 as +1. Are you implying that -1 is equal to +1 because of that?

@Kratosisterrifying "If we choose infinity as the reference point..." Based on my premise, my conclusion that all numbers are are...

I'm not sure I get what you mean with all numbers are equidistant with infinity as a reference point, possibly because I don't know what you mean by infinity as a reference point

I figured it had something to do with the original post, I'm not arguing for the post though. Which brings me to your last paragraph, no. I just like to nitpick and play devil's advocate for the sake of exploring ideas.

Everyone is born somewhat equal, say +-2, but then you add or subtract for as long as you live.

Anonymous