+110

Life in the womb, especially in the last stage, is in cramped quarters. This explains why most babies like to be wrapped in a blanket because doing so attempts to mimic their familiarity in the womb. This can, at least somewhat, explain why many of us feel safe or are comforted by a hug. Although our conscious does not remember the experiences in the womb, the rest of us has kept these experiences perhaps forever, amirite?

fuzalas avatar Animals & Nature
14 10
The voters have decided that fuzala is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I said many people because I know claustrophobic people would hate cramped quarters

plus, that phobia is more of a cognitive problem
than a physical one

fuzalas avatar fuzala Yeah You Are +3Reply
@fuzala I said many people because I know claustrophobic people would hate cramped quarters plus, that phobia is more of a...

There's also this thing with animals we eat

getting killed is a pretty stressful event
so they've started to harness the cows (feels like a hug) to relieve some of that tension
which works wonders

I remember swaddling our babies to keep them calm. Some people seek the fetal position when stressed and many sleep in that position.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are +3Reply

I completely forget most about it, but I remember hearing about how pressure, like fom a hug, does something to the brain to have a calming effect. That's why when people are upset you hug them. And it works well for some people with autism when they're having a meltdown, though that one can be somewhat dangerous at times.

@ItsATrap I completely forget most about it, but I remember hearing about how pressure, like fom a hug, does something to the...

When my brother-in-law was younger and someone tried to hug him, I'm told he would make a high-pitched scream. He seems okay when his family hugs him now.

OhEmGee_Muffins avatar OhEmGee_Muffin Yeah You Are +2Reply
@OhEmGee_Muffin When my brother-in-law was younger and someone tried to hug him, I'm told he would make a high-pitched scream. He...

I screamed too, and hit, so my dad or someone else came up with an alternate way to hug me. Mostly the hitting was with my sister.

My son used to do that. His was a sensory overload issue. Occupational Therapy helped a lot.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are +1Reply

This is really interesting. I never really had a happy home life and I'm not close with my parents. Maybe that might explain why I don't really like hugs; perhaps I don't associate maternity and childhood with comfort and love.

Nah, we all just want to fuck our mothers.