+52

It's sad when the celebrities we used to idolize as a kid turn into slutty druggies, amirite?

xxdetroitxxs avatar People & Celebrities
0 11
The voters have decided that xxdetroitxx is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I am a slutty druggie so it is hard to judge.

Its sad when kids idolize celebrities

@Its sad when kids idolize celebrities

I completely agree. Kids should look up to the good influences around them, like their parents, teachers, and older siblings. Why should they venerate a person who doesn't know they exist and honestly could give two shits about them?

@Shadi Generalizing is a dangerous game. You should know the rules before you play.

I think generalizing is fine in this case. Sure, a lot of kids don't have many good close influences, but most do. Nearly all celebrities wouldn't care if something happened to those kids that idolized them. Maybe they'd react, but I think it'd be for publicity, not because they're truly good people. We'll never know though. (There, is that better?)

@Shadi Who hurt you so you can't trust anymore?

No one. Why are you making this personal? This is what I think and if you want to make a rebuttal, feel free. By the way, I like celebrities and I have nothing against them. I just think that in most cases kids ought to have better role models in life than them.

@Altoid_Freak_250 No one. Why are you making this personal? This is what I think and if you want to make a rebuttal, feel free. By...

I was just making a reference to hit Disney Channel sitcom Good Luck, Charlie. I apologize if that comment upset you.

I don't think you should be making statements aboot how most celebrities could care less aboot their communities, so children should avoid aspiring to celebrities altogether. Some celebrities actually contribute to charities and causes that they feel a personal connection to in some way, not unlike average citizens who also contribute to their communities.

Should a child see one particular person as their only role model? Of course not, but if a child can understand that Amy Winehouse and Whitney Houston were talented singers and comprehend how drugs negatively affected their lives, that should serve their fans well enough.

Not every child has the ability to see people as less than demigods. Therefore, family and friends should guide children so they understand that they should put as much effort into their talents as celebrities do, while also releasing stresses in more beneficial ways, like through charity work,excercise, or social interaction.

@Shadi I was just making a reference to hit Disney Channel sitcom Good Luck, Charlie. I apologize if that comment...

No, it's fine. I wasn't offended, I was just a bit shocked that you assumed that I was averse because of a personal reason. I don't watch Good Luck Charlie, so I didn't get the reference.

You make some excellent points in your comment. I think that children idolize celebrities because it's something their parents do as well. They grew up with TV shows and certain films and their parents read E! and People magazine. My parents don't do that, so perhaps that's why I don't view celebrities as any more than ordinary people simply doing their job: acting. I don't think I could have a celebrity as a role model, despite the challenges they may have overcome or the lessons regarding substances they may have taught us.

@Its sad when kids idolize celebrities

What if it's someone like Michael J. Fox?

It's not necessarily sad, it's just life. Not everyone can stay squeaky clean.