+1

I know what vampirism is but what's that thing when you threaten someone with eternal torment if they don't eat the flesh and drink the blood of the group leader? Oh yeah! Catholicism, amirite?

VicZincs avatar Religion
2 11
The voters have decided that VicZinc is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I didn't think vampirism was quite like that.

MusicIsAGifts avatar MusicIsAGift Yeah You Are 0Reply
@MusicIsAGift I didn't think vampirism was quite like that.

No, Catholicism is. It has a ritual wherein the priest transforms bread and wine into the flesh and blood of their god (Jesus) and then people line up to eat and drink that flesh and blood. They profess that this is a true "transubstantiation" and not symbolic. They also hold that those who do not partake cannot be brought into everlasting paradise after they die but instead will be made to suffer eternal damnation.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are 0Reply

This isn't true.

@kristin This isn't true.

The Council of Trent declared that anyone who "denieth, that, in the sacrament of the most holy Eucharist, are contained truly, really, and substantially, the body and blood together with the soul and divinity of our Lord Jesus Christ, and consequently the whole Christ; but saith that He is only therein as in a sign, or in figure, or virtue and anyone who denieth that wonderful and singular conversion of the whole substance of the bread into the Body, and of the whole substance of the wine into the Blood let him be anathema."

@VicZinc The Council of Trent declared that anyone who "denieth, that, in the sacrament of the most holy Eucharist, are...

Believing that the blood and wine turn into the body and blood of Christ is an essential part of Catholicism. The Council of Trent just made that clear and said that anyone who doesn't believe it in is not a Catholic believer. And you are not "eternally tormented" as you said. God doesn't put anyone in hell. People choose to be in hell. It's not a place of eternal suffering and damnation. It's a place where non-believers spend eternity because they didn't want to love God.
Then again, this might just be my beliefs rather than the church. But don't think Catholicism is evil. It's really false and I hate to have people thinking we're all evil, judgmental, terrible people.

@kristin Believing that the blood and wine turn into the body and blood of Christ is an essential part of Catholicism. The...

I do not think Catholicism is evil. I do not think that of vampires either. They just have different values than I do.

I do think Catholicism is unnecessarily ritualistic and dogmatic. I think their adherence to certain teachings, like papal infallibility and transubstantiation drives rational thinking members to seek their spirituality elsewhere. I also abhor the accumulation of riches and pageantry and believe if Jesus saw the church today he would sell every ounce of gold and give it to the needed.

One of the best movie I ever saw was Shoes of the Fisherman.

http://www.fandango.com/theshoe...28/plotsummary

@VicZinc I do not think Catholicism is evil. I do not think that of vampires either. They just have different values than...

What accumulation of riches does the church have? All the catholic schools are closing because they don't have enough money to stay open. The church has no money.
I think that Jesus would be upset not with the church but rather with the large amount of people today that think faith and morals are stupid and useless.
That sounds like a good movie though. I'll have to see it some time.

@kristin What accumulation of riches does the church have? All the catholic schools are closing because they don't have...

Not to belabor this, the church makes it's choices about were to spend money.

If you add up the property value of every catholic church building, added the value of all the artworks, added the (immeasurable) value of places like the Vatican, the Sistine Chapel, St. Peters, the unfathomable value of the papal archives, wonderful cathedrals in every major city in the planet, enormous holding of art, relics, eminence and political influance (need I go on).

By some estimates the Catholic church is the biggest financial power, wealth accumulator and property owner in existence. The greatest possessor of material riches that has ever existed. It is bigger than any other single institution, corporation, bank, giant trust, government or state on the whole globe. The pope is the visible ruler of this immense mass of wealth.

No one can realistically assess how much the church is worth in terms of dollars but it is far beyond the capacity of anyone to even imagine.

@VicZinc Not to belabor this, the church makes it's choices about were to spend money. If you add up the property value...

I just think the church's power is considerably waning because so many people think that religion is a thing of the past.