+85

Consistency of authority is required for your respect of authority, amirite?

Lens avatar Life
4 13
The voters have decided that Len is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.
@1899469

I had a great post that had medical a word for dick that starts with "P" removed and the next day the POTD had that word. wtf?

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are +5Reply
@1899760

That happened to me a few months ago as well. Although my about me was still visable to others but they edited it a lot. My comments were also invisible. I know that pain.

Lens avatar Len Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1899469

Unfortunately it's not so black and white. For one thing there are a number of different mods with a number of different views on how to handle things. This will of course cause inconsistencies in how posts and users are dealt with.

For another saying all posts with the word dick in them should be deleted isn't fair to the posts that use the word in a suitable way. Someone who for instance uses the word dick to describe the book "Moby Dick" (such as in one of the posts you reported) does not deserve the same measures as a post that uses the word dick to help graphically describe the finer details of intercourse on this website of ours.

I'll agree that the mod who deleted your post probably shouldn't have said it was only deleted for using the word "dick" in it, however I can see why it was deleted when it was about sticking dicks into toasters.

@TheBlindMan Unfortunately it's not so black and white. For one thing there are a number of different mods with a number of...

Then wouldn't it make sense to have the rules not be open to interpretation? With the example of deleting posts that contain filtered words, there is no room for subjectivity. The post either contains a filtered word or it does not. If that's how the rules were set up, there wouldn't be any inconsistencies. Criteria like posts being "inappropriate" are extremely vague and lead to unfair decisions.

Your second paragraph amounts to annoying semantics. While I agree Len shouldn't have reported a post containing "Moby Dick", he has the right idea. The slang word for the body part is a different word than the name, and this is also not open to interpretation.

@Mike_Hawk Then wouldn't it make sense to have the rules not be open to interpretation? With the example of deleting posts...

Under the "What Can I Post" section the rules state that should post: "Nothing offensive. No swearing." and under the "Rules" section it states: "Anything offensive will be removed without warning. What is offensive will be judged solely by the moderators of amirite."

The filtered words merely give the moderators an easier way to find and deal with posts that may have inappropriate content, and can be judged as offensive or inoffensive depending on the circumstances of its use. If we started treating this proccess as something that is not "flexible" then unfortunately it would lean in favour of deleting all posts containing the filtered words, offensive or not, because we wouldn't want the offensive content either way.

It's not a perfect system, and I understand that. But inappropriate content was getting deleted long before the new owner took over and no one was getting butt hurt about it then.

@1899752

Tl;dr I'm drunk, confused, concerned with what people think of me, an asshole and, your comment was a reply to mine so when I deleted mine yours no longer showed up.

Lens avatar Len Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1899469

I thought they added the censor option to avoid things like this. It's 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

When you're allowed to do something sometimes but suddenly you're not allowed to do the same thing, and vice versa with what you're not allowed yo do, you become confused with what the boundaries are and decide that no matter which choice you make, you might be in trouble for it so you may as well just do what you want even if it doesn't follow the rules because hey, the rules might change anyway.

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are 0Reply