+13

Human placenta is the only substance known to contain a full compliment of nutrients. Google it, you'll find plenty of recipes. The very thought of it is repugnant. Amirite?

VicZincs avatar Life
0 10
The voters have decided that VicZinc is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Imagine them feeding it to their kids. "Ma, can I have some of your cunt jerky?"

That is very much disturbing.

@ItsATrap I get nutrients, but why?

First time I heard about this was in Stranger in a Strange Land, a 1961 satire by Robert Heinlein. It now seems to have become a worldwide fad. Human behavior is unfathomable.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are -1Reply
@VicZinc First time I heard about this was in Stranger in a Strange Land, a 1961 satire by Robert Heinlein. It now...

Aside from "Ew it's gross", why shouldn't we eat it? Obviously it is very healthy and there are no actual downsides to eating it.

@Mike_Hawk Aside from "Ew it's gross", why shouldn't we eat it? Obviously it is very healthy and there are no actual...

I guess that begs the question of why we find some "foods" taboo. Cats, dogs, rats, monkeys, of course it is somewhat cultural, but their seems to be some nearly universal food taboos, like human flesh. So that is a great question - why?

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are 0Reply
@VicZinc I guess that begs the question of why we find some "foods" taboo. Cats, dogs, rats, monkeys, of course it is...

Cannibalism isn't super unpopular. I would guess that had more to do with respect for the dead, though, because every dead person is related to someone.

There are some dishes that make placenta seem desirable. Have you heard of Surstromming? It's a Swedish dish; fermented fish. That is legendarily disgusting. The smell released when the can is opened is said to be able to permeate everything in a pretty big radius. It is advised the can not even be opened in-doors.

I suspect people can stomach anything they are brought up with, and anything similar to what they've been brought up with. There aren't too many limits on what we literally can and can't derive sustenance from.

@Mike_Hawk Cannibalism isn't super unpopular. I would guess that had more to do with respect for the dead, though, because...

How true. I also suspect that many culturally restrictions (like pork and shellfish in some religions) are based on someone have a bad experience way-back-when.

Many cultures avoid "bottom" feeders - but some enjoy them (snails, lobsters, carp, rodents, vultures, are examples).

It also seems that many avoid "top feeders," eagles, and wild cats for example are at the top of the food chain and in theory accumulate all the toxins from the chain. Oddly top feeder aquatics are eaten often (sharks, trout, bass).

Human tend to prefer to consume plant eaters over carnivores.

Do you consider eating human placenta a form of cannibalism?

By the way, most people don't know that Worcestershire Sauce is fermented fish. I have heard of lutefisk which may or may not be similar to what your talking about. When I was in Minnesota many restaurants had signs that indicated they did not serve it. I took that to mean it was a common item that was joked about by the locals many of whom are apparently of Norwegian decent.