-8

"A society based on and geared to the conceptual level of man's consciousness, a society dominates by a philosophy of reason, has no place for the rule of fear and guilt. Reason requires freedom, self-confidence and self-esteem... Intellectual freedom cannot exist without political freedom; political freedom cannot exist without economic freedom; a free mind and a free market are corollaries." -Ayn Rand

JeffGigliottis avatar Quotes
1 35

yes, i am sure ayn rand said that

Cgymnast7s avatar Cgymnast7 Disagree +10Reply

Amirite is a place for original opinions, not to quote people.

@Frank_n_Furter Amirite is a place for original opinions, not to quote people.

Except that there is a whole topic dedicated to quotes.

@MusicIsAGift Except that there is a whole topic dedicated to quotes.

It's for opinions on quotes, just like every other topic is for opinions on those topics. That doesn't mean it's a place to completely copy them, just like how the Harry Potter section isn't a place to post lines from the book.

Says who? Let him voice his opinion through someone else's words. Amirite is a place for opinions to be shared, not original poetry to be written

@WinniethePooh Says who? Let him voice his opinion through someone else's words. Amirite is a place for opinions to be shared, not...

Says the amirite rules where it says you can't copy other people's content and the 11 people who upvoted me.

@Frank_n_Furter Says the amirite rules where it says you can't copy other people's content and the 11 people who upvoted me.

Correction: you can't copy without proper citation. Check his post again. Looking at your comments and posts, you're a huge advocate of people posting whatever opinion they may be feeling, so it seems pretty hypocritical of you to try and shut someone down for a simple quote

@WinniethePooh Correction: you can't copy without proper citation. Check his post again. Looking at your comments and posts...

That's for citing websites, and it still says copying posts directly is not allowed, that's why it's an "inspired by" link not a "this is exactly the same thing as something from some where else and now I'm posting it here" link. And no, it's not hypocritical at all for me to like people to express their opinions and not like when they post other people's opinions word for word.

@Frank_n_Furter That's for citing websites, and it still says copying posts directly is not allowed, that's why it's an "inspired...

Okay, I guess from here on, nobody will be able to share their opinions since no idea is entirely original. People since the beginning of time have been thinking the same way and same things we are, so who's to say what qualifies as original enough.

Really, even in a college essay it's not plagiarism if you cite it...but maybe Amirite is just a higher power

@There's a pretty big difference between your opinion and a quote.

Is there? Two people can't have the same opinion? One being more linguistically creative than the other?

@WinniethePooh Is there? Two people can't have the same opinion? One being more linguistically creative than the other?

There being a difference between your own opinion and a quote has nothing to do with two people not being able to have the same opinion.

@There being a difference between your own opinion and a quote has nothing to do with two people not being able to...

Exactly. So there's no reason you shouldn't post it if it is also your opinion. Case closed

Glad you are enjoying the books. She has some great ideas. I hope you will take the time to read the other side of the story as well before you become too enamored with her prose.

http://amirite.com/756232-the-c...curious-george

Also try Animal House by George Orwell.

@VicZinc Glad you are enjoying the books. She has some great ideas. I hope you will take the time to read the other side...

I've tried to read read that garbage. In economics, there are four types of resource: land, labor, capital (machinery), and entrepreneurialism. The ideals of communism- and those of the other political groups that Advocare for larger government- cannot satisfy the demand of resources through its policy; entrepreneurs become fewer in numbers due to the lack of incentives to start a business; capital and land become unused because there will be a lack of people who have the ability to fund operation or cultivation; and labor will suffer in numbers because there will be a lack of people who have the means of hiring them.

@JeffGigliotti I've tried to read read that garbage. In economics, there are four types of resource: land, labor, capital...

Excellent. Hope your future posts are in your own words. You are articulate and obviously clever. We (amiriters) could use more intelligent discussion (as well as more clever humor.)

@VicZinc Excellent. Hope your future posts are in your own words. You are articulate and obviously clever. We (amiriters)...

Haha! Thank you! Well I plan on running for congress after I graduate from law school in about 7 years so you could have the opportunity to see more of my words later! :P

I feel that fear and guilt cannot be entirely gotten rid of, nor should we try to get rid of them. Fear can make us see clearer and avoid rash decisions. Guilt is what fuels integrity and makes us adhere to our morals. Without them, anarchy is a step away.

Political freedom and socialism are not mutually exclusive. In fact, the former is necessary for the latter. When political freedom is taken away, that's when a socialist movement is betrayed.

@MusicIsAGift Political freedom and socialism are not mutually exclusive. In fact, the former is necessary for the latter. When...

Maybe I'm just a moron, but when the government controls, regulates, and runs the economy, and therefore people's personal lives, how is political freedom, or freedom of any sort gained?

@WinniethePooh Maybe I'm just a moron, but when the government controls, regulates, and runs the economy, and therefore people's...

Economic freedom and political freedom are not he same. Free elections and representative government = political freedom. Private ownership = economic freedom. It is possible (not likely) to have open elections and have a communist elected, many European countries freely elect socialist all the time.

@VicZinc Economic freedom and political freedom are not he same. Free elections and representative government = political...

Well sure, but thinking of political freedom as a broader topic, social and personal freedom (in my mind) fall under the umbrella of political freedom. I also look towards empirical example of socialist governments and see how little economic, personal, and still less political freedom they have.

People say that those instances don't represent a true socialized government, but those are the only kind that are instituted by mankind. It simply doesn't work

@WinniethePooh Well sure, but thinking of political freedom as a broader topic, social and personal freedom (in my mind) fall...

Certainly this debate would require more than an exchange of comments in this manner. France's socialist party is currently in control of the senate and national leadership. Granted this party is far right of, say Castro, but it is far to the left of anything ever seen in the USA, UK, or Canada. I do not think anyone would argue that that the "social or personal freedoms" in France are any more restricted than any typical western country.

On the other hand I can name dozens of "Economically Free" states that are not "politically free" by your definition. Saudi Arabia comes to mind and many Middle Eastern African and Asian examples.

@VicZinc Certainly this debate would require more than an exchange of comments in this manner. France's socialist party is...

I think most of the disagreement here stems from what constitutes political freedom. In a society, such as France, where one has no real influence over their country's direction except a single vote, how much political freedom do they really have? In an American-type society one also uses their time, money, effort, ideas, and their lives, in addition to votes, in order to influence the world around them.

And that is what political freedom is to me