+68

If the government wants us to stay healthy, then why don't they make fruits and vegetables cheaper? amirite?

yoiibungpors avatar Food & Drink
0 17
The voters have decided that yoiibungpor is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.
@1901527

That's also not how the economy works.

Let's all grow our own food!

@ItsATrap Let's all grow our own food!

I tried that once. Okay well for like 4 years. It tasted awful.
I DEMAND CULINARY EDUCATION IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS!

@Len I tried that once. Okay well for like 4 years. It tasted awful. I DEMAND CULINARY EDUCATION IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS!

I did it too, though I have no idea what it tasted like. At my school there's a foods class, is that what you mean?

I think it might be because they cost more to produce/maintain

The reason behind it is because companies know that those foods are good for us. Another way to look at it is to say they have a higher value to our diet than a bag of chips. That's why salad costs 5 dollars per bowl, but for the same price you can buy a burger, fries and a drink. It is sad.

Do you know how to free market?

Because the government is not a farmer with bills to pay and family to support

@1901586

I don't know about you, but here they are definitely not. I could buy several bags of chips and candy for the price of one vegetable platter.

Because the government isn't your mommy. If you want to stay healthy, you need to make eating well a priority. If it's very important to you, you may need to make sacrifies (if necessary) so that you can afford the healthy food.

Cause no matter what the price on fruits and veg, they know most of us are gonna choose the cheetos and lard filled butter dipped in grease every day.

@MrRite Cause no matter what the price on fruits and veg, they know most of us are gonna choose the cheetos and lard filled...

That would be a reason to make junk food more expensive than veggies, not the other way around. If they know we're gonna get the stuff anyway, the prices can be high as gas prices and like gas, people will still buy it.

@Frank_n_Furter That would be a reason to make junk food more expensive than veggies, not the other way around. If they know we're...

Ah.... Good point. The idea I was going with is that the government would choose to back the one that'd make them more profit, but you're more accurate.