+123

Teachers seem to think the information you can find on the internet is not as good of information as print sources

WinniethePoohs avatar Internet & Apps
0 7

It is interesting to me that at the time of Plato, when reading and writing was new, Socrates thought that information you found written down was not as good as information you from your memory. As each new technology comes on line each generation assumes the old way is better and the new way is just crap.

Plato thoughts on "writting" from the Phaedrus: If men learn this, it will implant forgetfulness in their souls; they will cease to exercise memory because they rely on that which is written, calling things to remembrance no longer from within themselves, but by means of external marks.

@VicZinc It is interesting to me that at the time of Plato, when reading and writing was new, Socrates thought that...

That is true, to an extent. Readily available information makes it difficult to retain information. Your brain forms memories based on what is important, and information that is easily brought up, such as on a computer, is not of a high priority. I do not believe the cons out-weigh the pros, but this easily accessible information does have a detriment to our memory.

Well i have a lot of teachers, professors say if it is an internet source it has to be proven to be a good and valid source. ex: internet journals, notable magazines. but sources like podcasts, blogs, Wikipedia are not accepted.

Because the information on the internet may not be verified.

@RapGeek Because the information on the internet may not be verified.

This is the "correct" answer, what teachers (and most others) fail to understand is that the information in textbooks is equally as suspect. 99% of "history" is made-up, in the same sense that any story, once repeated, is modified by the interpretation of the story teller.

Even math books contain mistakes and science becomes obsolete as fast as it becomes mainstream.

It's because anybody can post anything on the internet.. or that it's easier to anyway. I think teachers don't want students to just go find whatever the first result is in Google and take it word for word without finding out who wrote it.

That, or I wouldn't put it past teachers to want to make their students suffer by having to look up shit the old fashion way instead of the new and efficient way.

@StickCaveman It's because anybody can post anything on the internet.. or that it's easier to anyway. I think teachers don't want...

Well sure you need to evaluate the credibility of anything, but some seem to think that just because it's on the internet, it's automatically worth less