VicZincs avatar Animals & Nature
0 9

It's an invasive species introduced by humans so not entirely natural. It's been a while since I took environmental science but when we introduce a species that threatens the biodiversity of its environment, I think it is our responsibility to control the invasive species.

@MusicIsAGift It's an invasive species introduced by humans so not entirely natural. It's been a while since I took environmental...

OK. I disagree. Just because we introduced it doesn't mean we need to correct it. I remember when in the 40's humans tried to control wild fires in Yellow Stone. After a decade biodiversity was devastated and we discovered that nature "planned" these fires. We stopped intervening and everything came back to a "natural state."

humans cannot undo our stupidity, only nature can.

@VicZinc OK. I disagree. Just because we introduced it doesn't mean we need to correct it. I remember when in the 40's...

Wild-fires are not always caused by humans, and the natural ones are part of a cycle that keeps the balance of the ecosystem. The problem happens when a man-made forest fire throws everything off course, or when we go out of our way to prevent natural fires from occurring. Forest fires are an important part of maintaining the biodiversity of the forest. This is a bit different from introduced/invasive species.

@MusicIsAGift Wild-fires are not always caused by humans, and the natural ones are part of a cycle that keeps the balance of the...

My opinion (and I respect yours) is that in the long run, humans do more harm by attempting to "correct" what nature will, by her tendency toward homeostasis, take care of better, faster and in a balanced way.

If and when it is appropriate, she will introduce natural predators to deal with these snakes. There are 1.3 million alligators in Florida, give them a chance.

We think so highly of ourselves. But perhaps we don't yet appreciate all the ramifications of Darwin's theory. If all life share the same origin, then it follows that there is nothing about humans that makes us separate from nature. This whole designation of man-made versus nature-made is not really valid. We should use reason alone to figure out how to behave. If the snakes taste good or are bothering us, we should kill them.

At least that's the position I willing to defend. :-)

What are you trying to say? It isn't natural that there are so many snakes out there if they were descended from pets. Are you being sarcastic or just contradicting yourself?

@shelbme What are you trying to say? It isn't natural that there are so many snakes out there if they were descended from...

What do you mean "it isn't natural"? They are not artificial snakes. Since the beginning of time species have invaded, taken over, increased and decreased in population. Who the hell are humans to decide that these snakes don't belong here. They escaped (or were let go) - if mother nature did not want them to live they would have died. When a pet cockatoo escapes it does not colonize the forest. Mother nature must have wanted these snakes to survive. Humans always think they can do a better job of controlling the environment, and they just fuck it up even more. No sarcasm, no contradiction. Just saying let nature takes its course, keep our hairless ape noses out of it.