StickCavemans avatar Animals & Nature
7 9

YES! Spot on Mr. Man.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are +9Reply

well we also do destroy it, so we are responsible for the damage we've caused.

@Naggs well we also do destroy it, so we are responsible for the damage we've caused.

Post inspired by:

The Earth is self-healing. Wipe out humanity and the Earth will eventually return back to how it was before humans ever existed. That's what it does... it evolves and changes. Continents move, volcanoes erupt, mountains form, ocean levels rise and fall; species are born and species die. It’s the arrogance of mankind that suggests we’re bigger and more powerful than nature. Like George Carlin says, we only want a clean place for us to live. There’s nothing wrong with that, of course. Nobody wants to inhale coal dust from a nearby power plant. But to say that we’re destroying the planet is a very self-righteous thing to say.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +8Reply
@StickCaveman Post inspired by: The Earth is self-healing. Wipe out humanity and the...

Perhaps destroy isn't the right word to use, but there has been scientific research that shows a lot of our habits are unsustainable and are effecting the planet itself!
For example even though the planet has been warming since its inception, it has warmed exponentially since the beginning of modern time

@Naggs Perhaps destroy isn't the right word to use, but there has been scientific research that shows a lot of our habits...

Then maybe the planet was meant to be that way. Maybe humans were placed here to give the Earth plastic and to use fossil fuel emissions to warm things up a bit.

We're not the big picture; nature is. We are a part of nature, not above it. This huge difference between us and other species, this "intelligence" we possess, keeps us from recognizing that. Some things happen in nature and no matter how much scientific research we do we're never going to be able to comprehend why.

It is only humanity that suggests that we know why things happen. You don't hear cows suggesting that maybe they should cut down on their own flatulence because methane is bad for the environment. Maybe cows know more about the natural process of the Earth than we do.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +4Reply
@StickCaveman Then maybe the planet was meant to be that way. Maybe humans were placed here to give the Earth plastic and to use...

I think it's so interesting that you say that because there are 6 different ways of looking at the relationship between the environment and humans:
Determinism
Possibilism
Environment Protection
Resource Management
Ecological
Gaia

And what I've inferred from your attitude is that you fall under the school of thought for Gaia in which we are all living in an ecosystem that creates an equilibrium and that nothing we do as humans is any more or less damaging then what other species do.

I think perhaps I am more anthropocentric because I was raised in an environment in which I have to be conscious how I was effecting the world around me.

We are responsible for the environment. Our actions are killing animals, destroying ecosystems, and altering the climate. Those actions have unimaginable ripple effects. It is humanity's duty to stop killing the planet and toxifying our environment.

Gay marriage causes hurricanes.

Anonymous