+7

Assuming they don't have children there's nothing morally wrong with a consensual incestuous relationship between adults, even if they're as close as brother and sister, amirite?

Lens avatar Life
0 11
The voters have decided that Len is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

To be clear, I feel like people in incestuous relationships would be being a bit unreasonable to have children of their own.
I think it would be most moral to adopt a child instead, this removes the risk of them having a child who's life is negatively altered due to birth defects and makes the adopted child's life a lot better.

I'd love to hear everyone else's thoughts on this.

Lens avatar Len Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Len To be clear, I feel like people in incestuous relationships would be being a bit unreasonable to have children of...

I don't think children coming from incestuous relationships is nearly as big a deal as people think/ assume it is. There is a SIGNIFICANTLY smaller chance of of a a deformed child from incest than a mentally handicapped child from a down syndrome parent, but it's not frowned upon or illegal for a person with down syndrome to have a baby. If youre just saying that out of consideration for their children they should adopt rather than procreate to eliminate the risk of deformity I wholeheartedly agree.

People need to STOP JUDGING OTHERS.

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Yeah You Are +1Reply
@1903183

That is YOU, that is not the typical experience. If you come out and proclaim that you've done something not socially acceptable, people will ostrisize you and treat you badly. We should stop treating other people badly based on stuff they do on their own time if it doesn't hurt anyone.

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Yeah You Are +2Reply
@1903193

So are you saying that although you don't believe it's moral you'd still stand up for their rights?
Also I'm wondering, I'm honestly interested, why do you think incest is immoral anyway?

Lens avatar Len Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1903193

Here's the interesting part: I don't think you should be able to say anything is wrong unless you can explain why it is wrong. You may say you disagree with it, but can you provide any sort of reasonable, universal reason for why it is wrong?

For example, rape is wrong because it inflicts unnecessary and non-consensual suffering on a sentient being. If it weren't wrong to do that kind of thing, we'd never progress as a peaceful species. I can't think of any way that a consensual, incestuous relationship harms anyone, ever.

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Yeah You Are 0Reply

If there was sex there certainly couldn't be accidents. And on terms of morally, just no. Yes I am being judgemental, and maybe wrongly so, but if someone is in an incest relationship I'm going to be creeped out.

@cookiedough If there was sex there certainly couldn't be accidents. And on terms of morally, just no. Yes I am being...

They could have accidents but unwanted pregnancies don't necessarily lead to birth. It's not as if they have to have the child. Although, in some cases they do. Some areas I'm sure abortion is illegal. As such it'd make sense for the couple to not have sex. Well, it'd make a lot more sense for their area to not let abortion be illegal but that's a whole different bag of worms.

But "just no"? Assuming your following sentence is the reasoning behind your just no, that shouldn't matter to you. I am really creeped out by some things but that doesn't have anything to do with their morality even to me on a personal level.

Assuming that "just no" is a stand alone statement I think we both know that's silly. If everyone thought "just no" was alright to say to homosexuals we might have made a lot less progress on that front.

Lens avatar Len Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Len They could have accidents but unwanted pregnancies don't necessarily lead to birth. It's not as if they have to...

It is a stand alone statement, and I don't have a reason other than that I think it's wrong.

@cookiedough It is a stand alone statement, and I don't have a reason other than that I think it's wrong.

Then you have no reason at all, similar to what Len said if you think it's wrong and you have no reason to argue you are exactly a homophobe doing exactly what homophobes do. There's no difference.