+95

It's weird to think that every musical piece you've heard from a classical composer is actually a cover version, amirite?

lt2010s avatar Music
2 9
The voters have decided that lt2010 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

This is mostly true, however there are contemporary composers with recordings of themselves playing their pieces, such as Rzewski Plays Rzewski.

@MusicIsAGift This is mostly true, however there are contemporary composers with recordings of themselves playing their pieces...

That's true, but in classical music, the definitive artifact is the written score, not any one recording. So even if a composer records his own piece, it's still just an interpretation of the score.

I don't know the terminology but I thought of Copland and Gershwin? Is that classical? I've heard their recordings.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are +1Reply
@MusicIsAGift Yes, they are classical.

Then that would be weird to think they were all covers. He's right?

@VicZinc Then that would be weird to think they were all covers. He's right?

You mean if the composers never performed their own works and the recordings that proclaimed so were all a hoax? Yeah that would be weird.