+84

It seems odd to you that incest is OK for kings and prophets. Amirite?

VicZincs avatar Relationships
2 26
The voters have decided that VicZinc is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

[Abraham and Sarah (Gen 20:12)]. [Quran aya 2.223 and 33.37 raise questions for scholars]. Throughout history royalty has preserved bloodlines by ignoring the taboos of incest.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are +2Reply
@VicZinc [Abraham and Sarah (Gen 20:12)]. [Quran aya 2.223 and 33.37 raise questions for scholars]. Throughout history...

When looking at holy scriptors its very important to understand the whole context, because isolating one sentence puts it out of context The first aya you mentioned, it talks about a man being faithful to his wife and only have intercourse with her
The second aya, zayd was not a blood relative to the prophet but rather an adopted son, and in Islamic law you can't adopt a child as your own you must respect their roots (not like western adoption).
so they weren't blood related and he was his guardian and less his father

@Naggs When looking at holy scriptors its very important to understand the whole context, because isolating one sentence...

Thank you for this clarification. Still there are many examples of incest condoned for the ruling class and taboo for commoners.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are 0Reply
@VicZinc Thank you for this clarification. Still there are many examples of incest condoned for the ruling class and taboo...

Do you mean socially or religiously? Because most religions reject incest and view it as perverted

@Naggs Do you mean socially or religiously? Because most religions reject incest and view it as perverted

I would agree - they state that it is perverted, but a quick internet search will turn up many examples in many religions (perhaps not Islam). You will find it in Judaism, Hindi, and virtually all "ancient" religions. Polytheistic religions are rife with incest among the gods. And of course socially - especially in royal families throughout history.

@VicZinc I would agree - they state that it is perverted, but a quick internet search will turn up many examples in many...

Well you'd have to look at how these societies were formed and what they value, for instance Hinduism (to my knowledge) hinges on the caste system where you'd want to concentrate power/wealth to a select few, whereas Islam is more based on egletarian views (read: socialism/communism) so diversity is encouraged
I can't speak for judiasm because I don't know much about the religion

@Naggs Well you'd have to look at how these societies were formed and what they value, for instance Hinduism (to my...

Well...I think you and I agree that incest is general not to be encouraged - and I hope you can agree that historically when it has been condoned by society it is usually the extreme upper-class that gets away with it. Which is what I was trying to point out in this post.

@VicZinc Well...I think you and I agree that incest is general not to be encouraged - and I hope you can agree that...

I'm agreeing with you incest is disgusting but I'm kind of trying to use cultural relativism and not pass judgement I guess
Both those things you said are true I guess I was trying to start a discussion about it

@Naggs I'm agreeing with you incest is disgusting but I'm kind of trying to use cultural relativism and not pass judgement...

You did! And I thank you. Here's an interesting (to me) tidbit. In Iceland there is an "app" that let's you check if you are related to someone before you "hook-up" because the island is so small and isolated that practically all people born there are related to each other in some way. So in that culture it is hard not to have an incestuous relationship.

@VicZinc You did! And I thank you. Here's an interesting (to me) tidbit. In Iceland there is an "app" that let's you...

define incestuous

people have different lines when it comes to what is incestuous or what is not

also because I think that everyone in the world is related
http://www.amirite.com/742114-i...illion/1848152

@fuzala define incestuous people have different lines when it comes to what is incestuous or what is not also because I...

Well... this post was about incest within the nuclear family (sister/brother, mother/son, etc) but the comment refers to 2nd and 3rd cousins.

I am personally OK with cousins but I find the brother/sister thing bit creepy.

@VicZinc Well... this post was about incest within the nuclear family (sister/brother, mother/son, etc) but the comment...

I edited my comment

I personally am okay with cousins too
even first cousins

the risk of deformation for non-related couples is about 3% at the most

now here's a myth buster
deformation with first cousin couples is not as high as people think
it's 4 to 6 %

I draw the line here:
brother/sister/father/mother/(paternal or maternal aunt/uncle) mother-in-law/ father-in-law/grandfather(mother)-in law/milk brother or sister/niece/nephew etc.

@fuzala I edited my comment I personally am okay with cousins too even first cousins the risk of deformation for...

That sounds about right. And I also believe that everyone is related. There was something about 1 out of every 200 people are direct descendants of Genghis Khan. To me that seems incredible.

@fuzala Mr. Khan not a big fan of him

But you might be his (30th generation) granddaughter hmm smilie

@VicZinc But you might be his (30th generation) granddaughter

hey
I'm not proud of all the things my family members do

gramps over there could've set a better example though

@fuzala hey I'm not proud of all the things my family members do gramps over there could've set a better example though

-- perhaps he was the real source of the "fist of awesome"-- I agree he was a cad.

@VicZinc -- perhaps he was the real source of the "fist of awesome"-- I agree he was a cad.

hey!

don't call my gramps a cad d smilie
he had his positive qualities

no one wants to mention the good stuff about him
hmmph

although he did many bad things
he wasn't completely bad

“an action committed in anger is an action doomed to failure.”
― Genghis Khan

did you ever hear of the Mongolian spot?

@fuzala although he did many bad things he wasn't completely bad “an action committed in anger is an action doomed to...

I don't think I am familiar with that. Khan was actually a pretty amazing guy, for a bully.

@VicZinc I don't think I am familiar with that. Khan was actually a pretty amazing guy, for a bully.

are you being sarcastic?

because I've never heard anyone describe him as that

@fuzala are you being sarcastic? because I've never heard anyone describe him as that

Amazing in the sense of bewildering and complex, or having the ability to fill me with with wonder.

Any sibling-fucking?

@MusicIsAGift Any sibling-fucking?

Not personally but it happens all the time. There is evidence in Iceland that incest actually strengthens the gene pool.

Some scientist are worried that there is not enough incest anymore because of globalization.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are +1Reply