0

Even if you're not a christian, you have to admit that the Bible is an amazing collection of books.

Fanatics avatar Religion
0 37

It don't have to and I'd certainly prefer not to.
The issue with them is that the people who've taken them literally have ruined them and instead of trying to think of how I can apply it to my life and become a better person I often just start laughing thinking about some hypothetical idiot who literally believes everything in it.

Lens avatar Len Disagree +1Reply
@Len It don't have to and I'd certainly prefer not to. The issue with them is that the people who've taken them...

What is so idiotic in the Bible? Sure, some of it may seem impossible to you, but it is the belief in an almighty God. It's about something greater than anything we could ever understand in this lifetime. What about the Bible is laughable?

@Fanatic What is so idiotic in the Bible? Sure, some of it may seem impossible to you, but it is the belief in an almighty...

I'm not saying the book it's self is idiotic, as I said I think otherwise just don't have to or enjoy admitting it. Maybe I worded my last comment wrong.

I'm trying to say that's true of the sort of person who thinks things from Leviticus 25:44-46* or something equally screwed up in our modern day society are alright in our modern day society or think that sort of thing is moral just because their God gave them permission. Those kinds of people are stupid, or perhaps not stupid but a little deranged.

(*New Living Translation (NLT)
44 “However, you may purchase male and female slaves from among the nations around you. 45 You may also purchase the children of temporary residents who live among you, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, 46 passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat them as slaves, but you must never treat your fellow Israelites this way.")

Lens avatar Len Disagree 0Reply
@Len I'm not saying the book it's self is idiotic, as I said I think otherwise just don't have to or enjoy admitting it...

Ah, most of what you said is the Old Testament. As a Christian, I only believe in what was not fulfilled by the coming of Jesus. The Bible is still amazing, nonetheless, if you knew all of it's history

@Fanatic Ah, most of what you said is the Old Testament. As a Christian, I only believe in what was not fulfilled by the...

Most of it? I was only referring to the old testament, it's much less time consuming to find crazy shit in that after all. I'm sure we both can agree on that.

I'm actually kind of confused by what you mean in your next sentence, you only believe in what was not fulfilled by the coming of Jesus? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding- in fact I'm almost certain I am. It sounds like you're saying you believe in everything that wasn't "proven", so to speak, by his coming. Which isn't... what you mean, right? I'm kind of just lost. Help me out here.

I don't really need to know any of it's history. I enjoy it because I see it as a really interesting collection of morals and stories to reinforce these morals.
What makes it so interesting to me is that it uses things like fear to deter what they perceive to be bad actions and even though I don't agree with a lot of the things they try to reinforce in the bible it also shows me new things that I may agree with. That's pretty cool to me, honestly. Then again it's also horrible because more impressionable people are going to take everything seriously and think slavery's okay if they're from a different nation, or something.

Lens avatar Len Disagree 0Reply
@Len Most of it? I was only referring to the old testament, it's much less time consuming to find crazy shit in that...

If you read the new and Old Testament, it's clearly stated what laws were fulfilled by the coming and crucifixion of Christ. And it's very important to understand the history of the bible. It's amazing, if you actually research it.

@Fanatic If you read the new and Old Testament, it's clearly stated what laws were fulfilled by the coming and crucifixion...

So you believe in what was fulfilled by the coming and crucifixion of Christ. In your last comment you said the opposite.

Why is it important to know the history? Give me examples or something to spark my interest.

Lens avatar Len Disagree 0Reply
@Len So you believe in what was fulfilled by the coming and crucifixion of Christ. In your last comment you said the...

I mistyped. Sorry. It's just important because you realize that it's more than just a bunch of books put together.

@Fanatic I mistyped. Sorry. It's just important because you realize that it's more than just a bunch of books put together.

Yeah, that's understandable. It just confused me a bit.

But why is that important? Why is it more than just a bunch of books anyway?

Lens avatar Len Disagree 0Reply
@Len Yeah, that's understandable. It just confused me a bit. But why is that important? Why is it more than just a...

Maybe it's not important, but it'll make the bible seem a lot more credible. Just google it

@Fanatic Maybe it's not important, but it'll make the bible seem a lot more credible. Just google it

That's silly. "Hey there's this one book that makes ridiculous claims, how silly. Oh? There's more than one? IT MUST BE TRUE!"

When I Google things like that I'm not getting anything that actually helps your point. If you believe that fact so wholeheartedly help me out, you shouldn't need me to Google it you should just be able to explain it to me.
If you can't then you don't even properly understand it and you should be Googling it as well.

Lens avatar Len Disagree 0Reply
@Len That's silly. "Hey there's this one book that makes ridiculous claims, how silly. Oh? There's more than one? IT...

Alright I just made the point that google might be more helpful. The bible is basically a collection of 66 books that were written in different languages on over 3 different continents, but none of it contradicts itself, and all prophecies that were predicted in the Old Testament came true in the new, even though they were written in different languages on different continents. I was saying to google it because I don't have the exact numbers

@Len http://www.skeptically.org/bible/id8.html It has plenty of contradictions.

Well obviously you're just trusting a website, because the first three things those website said we're contradictions aren't contradictions at all. I'll keep going through the list, but the first three are completely untrue

@Fanatic Well obviously you're just trusting a website, because the first three things those website said we're...

Sure, many of them aren't such great examples but many of them are. All it really takes it one of them to be right to completely ruin your statement. And many of them are, many of them are examples of contradictions.

Lens avatar Len Disagree 0Reply
@Len Sure, many of them aren't such great examples but many of them are. All it really takes it one of them to be...

Find one. I can't find any. All of those can be interpreted to look like contradictions, but they can also be interpreted to not be contradictions at all

@Fanatic Find one. I can't find any. All of those can be interpreted to look like contradictions, but they can also be...

If you really want to dismiss all of them because they could all be not contradictions then why would I bother? That'd be a waste of time.

Lens avatar Len Disagree 0Reply
@Len If you really want to dismiss all of them because they could all be not contradictions then why would I bother?...

I mean, if you show me a fool proof and flat out contradiction in there, I'll change my whole view of the bible and become an atheist. How's that?

The point is, so much of the bible is up for interpretation, as far as the story telling goes. Gods will for us is what's plain in black and white.

Contradictions, inconsistencies with science and math, and horrible morals. Not exactly a book that I respect.

eldoritos avatar eldorito Disagree 0Reply
@eldorito Contradictions, inconsistencies with science and math, and horrible morals. Not exactly a book that I respect.

Give me proof for any of those. There are no contradictions that are not explained, the bible is 99% geographically accurate, and it has very good morals, if you rely on what Christians believe of it. Even atheists agree with that

@eldorito 1. Here's your list of contradictions: http://skepticsannotatedbible.c...a/by_name.html 2. So? Twilight is...

Look up what out of the old testaments that Christians still believe for you cruel list. And I've already been given that site. It's a list of things that can look like contradictions depending on how you interpret them.

And the bible is 99% geographically accurate at a time when people didn't have the technology to know the geography. It talks about cities that no longer exist, but were proven to have existed at the time. It just shows it's legitimacy, that's all. As opposed to say, the Koran, that has many geographical contradictions

@Fanatic And the bible is 99% geographically accurate at a time when people didn't have the technology to know the...

1. I didn't say what Christians believe in the Old Testament. I said that the Bible is full of immorality. And besides, I don't have to go to the OT to look at immorality.
2. A large portion of them have to be minced in order to not be interpreted as contradictions. Sort of like somebody who has been caught in a lie.
3. Geographic accuracy does not make a book good. Twilight is geographically accurate, but that doesn't mean that it's a good book. Harry Potter isn't 100% geographically accurate, but that doesn't make it a bad book. Also, I am not defending the Koran. If you want to read about the Koran, go here:

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/quran/index.htm

@eldorito 1. I didn't say what Christians believe in the Old Testament. I said that the Bible is full of immorality. And...

I guarantee you, all things I personally find immoral are also in the Old Testament. And give me one good contradictions.

The point of it being geographically accurate is that I just think it's cool and show it was written in the time period it was claimed to be written in, that is all

@eldorito 1. So, you don't find homophobia to be immoral? 2. http://skepticsannotatedbible.c...righteous.html

Immoral? As in a sin? I do believe sins are pointed out in the New Testament. What is your definition of immoral here?

@eldorito By "immoral," I mean causes harm.

Then no, I don't think homosexuality is immoral.

@Fanatic Then no, I don't think homosexuality is immoral.

I asked about homophobia. Do you consider homophobia to be immoral?

@eldorito I asked about homophobia. Do you consider homophobia to be immoral?

a fear of gay people? No, unless that person is hurting that other person in any way

@Fanatic a fear of gay people? No, unless that person is hurting that other person in any way

So, would you consider torturing somebody forever because they're gay to be immoral?

@eldorito So, would you consider torturing somebody forever because they're gay to be immoral?

ah, you're trying to get me to say yes and then turn it around to say that it's wrong for them to get sent to Hell. You're also one of those people who think that you only have to be a good person to get into heaven, right? If you do everything right and are really nice to everybody, that's enough to get you into God's Kingdom?

@Fanatic ah, you're trying to get me to say yes and then turn it around to say that it's wrong for them to get sent to Hell...

I don't believe in heaven or gods. However, if picking the wrong book sends you to hell forever, than that means that your god is forcing all of humanity to play a game more cruel than Russian Roulette.

@eldorito I don't believe in heaven or gods. However, if picking the wrong book sends you to hell forever, than that means...

Not really, no. He's the one and only truth and he will reveal himself to those who seek him with all their heart, trust me. He gives people many chances in their lifetime to come to him. Most just don't take the opportunities and end up worshipping false gods or no god at all. It's not about God playing a game with us. It's about him wanting us to want a relationship with him. He wants us to have faith and find him when we search for him. He's there if you're just willing to open your eyes and your heart