+52

You wonder why our culture views facial hair on women as an atrocity. Amirite?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/--x6BexSx2cY/UJC9PWFveEI/AAAAAAAAATE/X65dJklf60k/s1600/Moustache.png
VicZincs avatar Fashion
1 22
The voters have decided that VicZinc is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Or hair anywhere really. It's fine to prefer being shaven, but I hate that women are made to feel "gross" or unladylike if we aren't almost fully hairless.

such a view towards hair helps to sell a lot of products

advertisements feed on insecurities and flaws
how else would they make money, amirite?

fuzalas avatar fuzala Yeah You Are +9Reply
@fuzala such a view towards hair helps to sell a lot of products advertisements feed on insecurities and flaws how else...

Yep. I think a women with a mustache is ugly because of advertising. We are all cronies of the will of corporations.

@Yep. I think a women with a mustache is ugly because of advertising. We are all cronies of the will of corporations.

I think sometime after one of the major wars
there were a lot of ads for hair removal at a time where body hair was more acceptable

and people bought into it
and it's become more of the norm to not have body hair
and now body hair is less acceptable than it used to be

now I'm not saying ads/media are the only factor
but they sure do encourage certain cookie cutter looks

places without such visuals couldn't care less about hair
I would know since I come from one

obviously, most don't have a full blown mustache but no ones cares about a little fuzz

my parents didn't have much tv growing up and they didn't care
my cousins who have had a tv on the other hand care a lot more

in short, certain commercials can influence what we find to be appealing

fuzalas avatar fuzala Yeah You Are +3Reply
@fuzala I think sometime after one of the major wars there were a lot of ads for hair removal at a time where body hair was...

I know it's kind of a stereotype, but I was honestly pleasantly surprised when the French students that came to visit our school didn't shave or cake their faces in makeup. It's like, they were walking around in these dresses and skirts completely unabashedly and oblivious to the odd looks they were getting, because most people I know don't think seeing leg hair on a woman is disgusting, but it is a strange sight here. I got the chance to talk to a couple of them and they said that where they live, they are judged much more harshly on what they wear than here in the states-- they wear nicely cut, chic jeans and fur lined jackets and dresses when they aren't even going anywhere. My friend, who was hosting one of them, was telling me that it was a very different experience for her guest when they took her to Target in sweatpants. Also, compared to us Americans, the French kids ate very little. Apparently our smalls are their larges. So because they don't eat as much, the French girls said that they're judged much more on their weight. Of course, girls here are judged for their weight, but at least if you're a 400 lb woman here you can walk (or wheel, as the case may be) around in...

@AshleyxApocalypse I know it's kind of a stereotype, but I was honestly pleasantly surprised when the French students that came to...

(continued) public and sure, you'll get stared at, but not treated nearly as badly as you would there. In France, 400 lb women simply don't exist.
And sure, the French girls wore mascara and eyeliner and the like, but I never saw one of them using the endless amounts of foundation, concealer, powder, and the like that girls here tend to paint new faces on with. If they used makeup on their faces, they used it well so that no one could tell they were wearing it at all.
I guess my point with all of this rambling is that we just consider what we grow up around, real women and media, to be normal and when we see something that differs from that normal, whether it be hairy bodies and minimal makeup or fat bodies and unflattering clothing, we consider it wrong. I wouldn't go so far as to call it an atrocity or disgusting to see a woman with a hairy face, but for those of us who grew up around the idealized nearly hairless woman, we're hardwired to respond negatively to anything else.

@AshleyxApocalypse (continued) public and sure, you'll get stared at, but not treated nearly as badly as you would there. In France...

oh yeah

the norm can vary drastically from place to place
so imagine immigrants and how confused they are when they meet a whole new set of norms that may or may not contrast with the norms they grew up with

fuzalas avatar fuzala Yeah You Are 0Reply
@fuzala oh yeah the norm can vary drastically from place to place so imagine immigrants and how confused they are when...

Minor culture shock is actually quite entertaining to witness. The French kids were taking pictures of literally everything.
I say minor because I do feel bad for people who come to a different (especially if it's a more developed) country and are just completely overwhelmed. I just finished reading a book called Never Fall Down, about Arn Chorn-Pond's life and surviving the Khmer Rouge, and at the end of the regime when he was adopted and brought to live in America, he practically had a breakdown because of PTSD and the sudden relocation to, what seemed like to him, another world. With advancing technology and international travel, it's a lot more difficult to be completely ignorant about another culture, but it still does happen.

they can help to make something look gross when it previously was just something that was there

I think atrocity is a bit strong of a word and that this picture doesn't fairly represent the kind of facial hair on a woman that would be found unattractive, and I do understand why it's seen that way. It's not a biologically feminine trait so to see it on a female is unsightly, just like a woman with very broad shoulders, small breasts, and thick waist or a man with very tiny, round shoulders, bit of man boobs, and a soft jaw would be seen as unattractive by most people- the biological feature not matching up with the actual sex of the person turns most people off.

@Frank_n_Furter I think atrocity is a bit strong of a word and that this picture doesn't fairly represent the kind of facial hair...

Also, she is wearing a fucking lot of blush, and I am turned off by that as well. Just saying.

We are mammals. Mammals are covered with hair. Every inch of human skin has hair except the palms and the soles. Not every hairy person (male or female) is sexy; likewise not every woman with body or facial hair is ugly.

The real point of this post is that someone (a lot of people actually) find fault with Ms. Watson for not tending to her upper lip. To me she is but a child, but I imagine many men her age find her very desirable. And bravo to her for leaving nature alone.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are +5Reply
@VicZinc We are mammals. Mammals are covered with hair. Every inch of human skin has hair except the palms and the soles...

Honestly, unless a female has a fully visible, dark and manly mustache, why bother "tending to it" anyway? Pretty much anything that women are "supposed" to do leaves the area looking more noticeable than before, whether it be razor burn, redness from waxing, or skin lightening/irritation from bleach.

This wouldn't be a problem if we just stopped mating with them.

I don't wonder women are supposed to be mostly free of facial hair

no guy likes a lil mustache on a woman xD..as far as i know
..and no woman takes "nice mustache" as a compliment :P

@CombatSkill no guy likes a lil mustache on a woman xD..as far as i know ..and no woman takes "nice mustache" as a compliment :P

I do. I like it. I hate seeing those obvious "scars" from repeated removal. I am not talking about a goat-beard; a little peach-fuzz is normal and better than razor burn.

And what kind of creep would say "nice mustache" to a lady? If it was intended as a compliment I'd suggest, "you are beautiful."

also

http://amirite.com/755045-peopl...etuated-by-men

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are +11Reply