+84

We live in a society where the attitude of everyone is, "do what you think is okay because life if short"

Fanatics avatar Life
0 40

I'd agree with "do what you think is okay, as long as it doesn't infringe on someone else's rights, because life is short"...

But life is short in the sense that we could die at any moment.

@StickCaveman But life is short in the sense that we could die at any moment.

I do believe that! But I don't think that makes everything okay. I see it as, make wise choices because life is short. Not smoke, drink, and party because you're going to die anyways

@StickCaveman What makes something okay?

Well. That's where the lines blend I suppose. In my eyes, I believe the standards set for what's okay and what's not are set in the bible. And this is where this comment gets down voted haha

@Fanatic Well. That's where the lines blend I suppose. In my eyes, I believe the standards set for what's okay and what's...

From this and several other of your posts and comments, you seem to think amirite will disagree that says anything about Christianity.

@Frank_n_Furter It's mostly in the way you phrase it.

How is the way I'm phrasing it wrong? I try my best to be respectful and I don't ridicule other's beliefs

@Fanatic How is the way I'm phrasing it wrong? I try my best to be respectful and I don't ridicule other's beliefs

It's not cuz you're disrespectful or ridicule people's beliefs, it's just the way things are phrased can alter people's perceptions about the point you made. (Ex: the post you made about not condemning homosexuals but condemning homosexuality got down voted then the other one about how you can condemn an action but not the person got up voted.) Sometimes you just basically say "because I believe in the bible and that's what the bible says" and it takes some prompting for you to go in depth with it more, so before you actually explain yourself it can come off as a bit closed minded and bible thumperish.

@Frank_n_Furter It's not cuz you're disrespectful or ridicule people's beliefs, it's just the way things are phrased can alter...

That's what I don't like. Those to posts where I said the same thing, but in difference scenarios, only proved to me more that the fact is, people don't respect Christians for the very reason that they think we're close-minded for putting our belief in something we can't see or a collection of books. I made those two posts so maybe people could see that they're only disagreeing with the post about homosexuality because it automatically pertains to Christianity, when they agree with the post right about it that says the same thing. How is that fair?

@Fanatic That's what I don't like. Those to posts where I said the same thing, but in difference scenarios, only proved to...

Being against abortion or homosexuality isn't a Christian trait, and this is where your belief than anything related to Christianity will be seen as negative comes in. It has nothing to do with Christianity. It's that homosexuality isn't an action and there's a big difference between condoning someone's character and condoning something they did. It also has to do with saying you're against homosexuality and abortion to a site that is generally for those things is going to make create a negative emotional reaction which will be the cause of some people's disagreeing.

@Frank_n_Furter Being against abortion or homosexuality isn't a Christian trait, and this is where your belief than anything...

Yes, but what religion do you automatically think of when someone says they're against abortion and homosexuality. Christianity, right? And I'm not talking about necessarily having homosexuals thoughts. When I say homosexuality I mean when the person actually acts on it. That's where it becomes a sin. The actual temptations isn't wrong at all. It's how you handle it. I don't condone the person acting on it. I won't condone them for having those thoughts or temptations, not that I would even know if they did unless they told me. Nonetheless, it doesn't matter if you agree or disagree with homosexuality or abortion when it came to that post. It came down to whether or not you think I was condemning those people when I didn't agree with those actions. And in that situation, I was, but in the other post, I can disagree with their actions while not condemning them. Same situation here

@Fanatic Yes, but what religion do you automatically think of when someone says they're against abortion and homosexuality...

I don't think of any religion when I think of those things, you're still trying to push that the idea Christianity is seen as negative on here, and even if I did think of Christianity that's irrelevant because it's still not the reason people disagreed with one post and agreed with the other. The reason is how you worded each gives different meaning, (and for some people I'm sure the reasoning is the emotional response when there is talk of condemning homosexuality and abortion), one says you can condemn a huge part of what makes someone and one says you can condemn an action and not the person, and of course you're not going to see how the fine line between those makes for very different results because 1 you already think that you can condemn someone's action but not them and 2 you think that the action of homosexuality is a sin but not the temptation, so of course to you it's going to be the same thing as condemning an action but not a person, however, the reason one is up and one is down voted is because condemning homosexuality is not the same thing as condemning an action to the rest of us.

@Frank_n_Furter I don't think of any religion when I think of those things, you're still trying to push that the idea Christianity...

It shouldn't matter how I worded it, the meaning is still the same. It doesn't ask if you agree with homosexuality or abortion. And like I said I believe the sin of homosexuality is acting on it, ie. sexual intercourse of the same sex. That defines a persons character?

@Fanatic It shouldn't matter how I worded it, the meaning is still the same. It doesn't ask if you agree with homosexuality...

No, it definitley matters how you worded it because different words have different meanings and thus different sentences present different concepts. I think I edited my comment before you responded, because there's a long bit describing how the two posts are different and why you think they represent the same concept.

@Frank_n_Furter No, it definitley matters how you worded it because different words have different meanings and thus different...

Do you think I don't understand temptation or something? Homosexuality in the sense that I'm speaking of is just the temptation of lust. I struggle with that so many times. I'll relate it to premarital sex, which I have nearly made the mistake of getting into before. I think they are equal sins and I don't agree with the actions of engaging in either. I think the only reason people are up in arms about it relating to homosexuality is the whole issue of whether or not they should have equal rights, and to that I say, absolutely. I would never force my religion on another person and force them to live a certain way because of what I believe. Can I still not agree with their actions? Absolutely. Am I going to take away their rights and force them to live how I think they should live? Absolutely not. I don't see what the problem is

@Fanatic Do you think I don't understand temptation or something? Homosexuality in the sense that I'm speaking of is just...

No, just because I disagree with your beliefs doesn't mean I think you don't understand things. And I really don't see why you're getting into your beliefs about homosexuality on this post because that's not even what I'm talking about.

Don't be so sure. Just as long as you acknowledge that what you think is okay might be different from what someone else thinks is okay.

@StickCaveman Don't be so sure. Just as long as you acknowledge that what you think is okay might be different from what someone...

I totally believe that. But being a christian, I think God's way is the only way. This post is based on that because, although I know not everyone is a Christian and everyone has different views, I still think that God ultimately knows what's right and wrong.

@HopeImrite According to the Bi(b)le, you have to stone me now.

Ah, then you don't understand what I believe as a Christian at all. You don't realize that Christians don't believe all of the Old Testament, do you?

@Fanatic Ah, then you don't understand what I believe as a Christian at all. You don't realize that Christians don't believe...

Then you realize that you just told me that the Bi(b)le is a lie then? Christians can spin, pick and choose what they want, and prentend that all the hate and isn't there, but it is. And it's "written by God" so either that's a lie or your faith is

@HopeImrite Then you realize that you just told me that the Bi(b)le is a lie then? Christians can spin, pick and choose what...

No where in the bible does it say God took a pen and paper and wrote the bible. Obviously he didn't. But it's still his word, since was written by his people and prophets and Jesus and his disciples.

@Fanatic No where in the bible does it say God took a pen and paper and wrote the bible. Obviously he didn't. But it's still...

Jesus wrote none of it. What sect do you belong to that believes that? None that I know of believe it.

@HopeImrite Jesus wrote none of it. What sect do you belong to that believes that? None that I know of believe it.

I didn't mean it in that way. My mistake. I just kind of included everything in there. It is full of his life and dialogue though. Sorry, I'll proof read better next time

Nope, everything I don't believe out of the Old Testament is explained in the New Testament. Read it if you get the chance. It explains how Jesus fulfilled the Laws of the Prophet when he fulfilled the Old Testaments prophecy of the coming of the Messiah. I love how people always use Leviticus and Deuteronomy to disprove me when the bible says that Christians don't have to follow those since Jesus brought us forgiveness, grace, and salvation

@Fanatic Nope, everything I don't believe out of the Old Testament is explained in the New Testament. Read it if you get the...

I'd like to inform you that I have extended knowledge of the whole Bible. 14 years of Bible study under my belt. I enjoy the parts of the New Testament that have zero edvidence of happening. Such as Jesus even existing. The stories of him weren't written down til a half century after his death, eventhough there were thousands upon thousands of scholars that were alive while he was. Your condesening tone is unsuprising appearent.

@HopeImrite I'd like to inform you that I have extended knowledge of the whole Bible. 14 years of Bible study under my belt. I...

I wasn't using a condescending tone at all. The four gospels are true against by four of Jesus' disciples. A half century after his death? Really?

There are also other works of writing written in the same time period that account for jesus' life. These include Josephus' Antiquities of the Jews and there were accounts of John the Baptist too. Unless you're the biggest skeptic ever, you'd have to believe that Jesus existed at the very least

And there is nothing about the bible that is unreliable. With 40 different authors over the span of 1,500, the bible consistently explains itself and reveals prophecies. And it was also written in different languages, might I add. There are no significant contradictions, unless you want to those things people try to make seem like contradictions by twisting the word and not reading it in context

If you want to hear real condescension, reread the last sentence of your comment. Condescension is when you believe that someone who believes in the Bible is bound to be condescending, and when you think you're so much better than her that you can simply assume she'll think as lowly of you as you do of her.

I don't think that's everyone's attitude. It's the attitude of far too many people, and probably the defining attitude of our generation, but not the attitude of everyone.

@Watchful_questioneer I don't think that's everyone's attitude. It's the attitude of far too many people, and probably the defining...

I agree. I didn't literally mean every single person, as I don't live that way, but it does define our generation, like you said

@1911190

It can give you positive motivation, but in the same way, it can push you towards doing things because "life is short" instead of thinking about the consequences or other people.